Hop To
L
liam Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Hey, y'all,

I'm pretty new here, just started posting mainly in the single shot forum as I await delivery of the Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57 I ordered. I thought I'd drop in this forum to get some feedback, if you don't mind ...

I have a Lee turret press that I'll use for most of my reloading, but I thought it might be nice to have a hand tool ... it seems like it would be a ton of fun to spend a day at the range working up loads, trying different things. Plus, my first reloading was with a Lee Loader, loading .44 special and .45 acp for my first handguns. I liked the simplicity, just sitting at the table cranking out a box or two of loads in an evening.

So what would you recommend for this? The Lee Loader, Lee Hand Press, or Lyman 310? The Lee Loader and Lyman 310 are discontinued for 7x57, but I found a source for the Lyman (not for the Lee Loader yet). Anyone have any advice?

Thanks for your time!!

Liam

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't have the others, but I use the Lee Hand Press to load up a few while sitting in front of the tube or while I'm at the range. Can't imagine it being too much better or easier than this.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Liam:
My guess is the Lee Hand Press would be your best bet. However, I used only the 310 tool to load my 280 for many years.

There is a separate die for everything, Decapping, Sizing, Expanding, Capping, and Seating. You can only neck size, BTW. (This is also true of the Lee Loader.) I got by OK, I didn�t load a case very hot, or so many times that I had to FL size. I used a case length gauge, a Redding scale, but no powder measure.

I also loaded 30-30, but I had a separate HAND die to FL size those cases. I used a Mallet, or a Vice.

It�s funny this subject came up, because just about 3 days ago, I decided to do it again, just for fun.

I put together a list, and plan to go to the range with my 3 Tong Ten tools, funnel, fired cases, primers, powder, and boolits. What did I forget??? Oh Yeah, the 280 rifle.

I will take my Wilson case gage, (that I never got around to using before), and a file to trim the case length. When I get the powder dipper built from a cartridge case, I�ll put it all in a tool box, and I�m set.

But again, the Lee Hand Press may be more practical for you, because you can use standard dies.

I also had a Lee Loader for the 280, but I didn�t use it much. I regret selling it now.

Good loading and good shooting.
Smitty of the North

No amount of planning will ever replace Dumb Luck.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Go with the Lee Hand Press. I handload the 308 Win and 7mm Remington magnum on mine and have never had any trouble. It is great to take to the range and work up test loads with.

L
liam Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks everyone!

Liam

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you want to full length size your brass, the Lee hand tool. If neck sizing is what you want, then the Lyman 310 is a good deal.
FWIW, my most accurate cast bullet loads for the 30-30, .308 Win. and 30-06 are made on the Lyman 310 tool. I shoot them in a mail in private competition and haven't gone below second place in some time and most have been running in first place, and I'm competing against people shooting jacketed bullets. Average for the .308 is 1.5 MOS at 200 yards.
If those 7x57 dies are reasonably priced, you might want to jump on them. If not, let me know what they're going for. I just might take them.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
L
liam Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Hey, Paul,

Thanks for the input! As soon as I decide on the 310, I'll let you know the source. He may have more than one set, but I'm not sure if the price is reasonable or not ($50 for new, in-production die sets and $60 for discontinued or obsolete caliber sets).

Thanks again,
Liam

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (2500HD, 22250rem, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 222ND, 62 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,938
Posts18,480,042
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.