Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I figured I would at least give him a chance to make it right.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
That isn't any $5200.00 rifle. Maybe in 30-40 years...

+1, no way in hell is that a $5200.00 rifle....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Originally Posted by 160user
UPDATE: The dealer had said he would figure out what to do but won't return my calls or answer my e-mails. It has only been 4 days but now I am starting to get nervous. I may have to take a road trip to Oregon I guess.

Would have sent it back immediately....

Yep, it is customary to have a 3 day non fire inspection period...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I called him about it right away after I shot it, three days after I got it to see how he wanted to handle it. I guess I have my answer now.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Internet sales are a roll of the dice - especially if you have not dealt with the seller before. The odds are generally good but every once in a while you get burned. At least you did get a gun out of the deal. Not exactly what you wanted but something.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
By the way, I would enjoy seeing pictures of the rifle,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Find out for sure what it is, post some pictures and put it on the classifieds. I bet you can easily get your investment back.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I guess it is time to leave him some feedback on gunbroker.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
T
The bad part is that if I have to send it back to him my dealer charges $30 each time I transfer it.
No.. Not if you bought it from a dealer to begin with.. You can send it back w/o an FFL or going through any dealer..

I sure hope you get it resolved..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
3 voice mails and 2 e-mails. It doesn't look good.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Find out for sure what it is, post some pictures and put it on the classifieds. I bet you can easily get your investment back.

I'm doubting this - this was his dream gun (I've never managed to find a dream gun at a bargain price) and I'm thinking the seller had it priced for being an all original and collectable gun. With the chamber alteration it is not original and the collector status has been greatly diminished. It is a shooter now and possibly a nice one, but I cannot be optimistic about the return on investment frown

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I suggest sending it back. The seller just dumped a POS on you and was probably aware of what it was. I myself would never trust any model 70 that I could not verify it's origin. You learned a good lesson. If that guy gives you a problem taking it back, post it here.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Given the seller has quit responding to any form of communication, a buyer's thoughts quickly jump to wondering if they send the rifle back, will they be out BOTH the rifle and the money frown

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I can't tell you what to do. Regardless of all the advise here you're the one that needs to settle on a plan to get your money back. But what I would do is consult an attorney and have him write a letter explaining a few general details about the upcoming lawsuit. Bing, bang, boom. Not being overly critical but you're overloaded with advise and underloaded with decision making. You've been a nice guy and that just doesn't pay off when someone genuinly screws you. FYI

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by shootem

I can't tell you what to do. Regardless of all the advise here you're the one that needs to settle on a plan to get your money back. But what I would do is consult an attorney and have him write a letter explaining a few general details about the upcoming lawsuit. Bing, bang, boom. Not being overly critical but you're overloaded with advise and underloaded with decision making. You've been a nice guy and that just doesn't pay off when someone genuinly screws you. FYI
All good except this: what if the seller is in a different state? Then you have to find an atty in HIS state, and be prepared to drive/fly there when/if it goes to court..

What's the cost then? (BTDT, learned a lot.. ) In my case, I just resold the pos and was lucky enough to only lose $150 overall..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For what it's worth, at this point given you have sold the rifle and lost $150, I would write the seller and suggest I was about to get my lawyer involved and give him one last option before I did so - to rebate $150 and he would be in the clear.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sorry to hear the problems. My 55 Model 70 in 300H&H was passed down to me. Just a standard grade rifle, but I got all 5 of the boxes of ammo, 2 1/2 had been shot. The old Silvertips with the Grizzley on the box. I have seen several Model 70's and Remington 721's that looked right but had been rechambered to something else. Many could fire the original 300H&H round. As a dream rifle I would be not happy. Not even sure I would know how to tell a SS barrel from a standard steel one, perhaps a magnet? Standard barrels do come up now and then, don't think I have ever seen a stainless barrel, or for that matter a rifle with a factory stainless barrel. Hope all works out well for you.

160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Not even sure I would know how to tell a SS barrel from a standard steel one, perhaps a magnet? Standard barrels do come up now and then, don't think I have ever seen a stainless barrel, or for that matter a rifle with a factory stainless barrel. Hope all works out well for you.

The stainless barrels don't have the "bulge" for the rear site and they are not dovetailed or drilled and tapped for any sites. At least that is what I was told.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Just wondering....any resolution with the seller?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Just wondering....any resolution with the seller?

I'm curious as well....keep us posted please..... Can you post some pics of the rifle. Thanks...

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (17CalFan, 673, 7mm_Loco, 204guy, 30 invisible), 3,152 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,535,992
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.