-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ive always had good luck with Leupold and Burris rings and bases but looking to try something new. Will be having a Redfield Revolution 3X9 40mm put on an older model Remington BDL. I hear lots to talk about Tally's and Warne, Any sugestions and advice is apprecated.

Thanks

Last edited by inland44; 10/11/12.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
How about conetrols or S&K's? As you know the leupy DD's will work great but you are looking for something different right...I'm assuming you meant remington BDL?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Burris signature rings with dovetails, and Leupold dovetail bases. Really hard to beat that combo.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I only use Talley Ltwts any more. They have been bulletproof for me, knock on wood. Ltwt lows would work for you.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
How about conetrols or S&K's? As you know the leupy DD's will work great but you are looking for something different right...I'm assuming you meant remington BDL?

Man, I really dig S&Ks, but mounting up a $175 scope with $115 worth of rings and bases just seems wrong! smile

I like Talley LWs, too, but only with Leupolds (or, I suppose, the Redfield scopes too). Conquest eyepieces are too large and square for me to get a scope far enough forward to get a decent view through the scope.

Of course, I am a bit of a genetic freak.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've used most all of them with no problems. I like Warne bases and rings if you want to try a "Weaver" style set-up.

Last edited by timbo762; 10/11/12.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
E
E
Talleys all the way

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If you want light.. talley lightweights

If you want beefy one piece...DNZ

If you want normalgood looking... dovetail Burris Signature

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Man, I really dig S&Ks, but mounting up a $175 scope with $115 worth of rings and bases just seems wrong! smile

I like Talley LWs, too, but only with Leupolds (or, I suppose, the Redfield scopes too). Conquest eyepieces are too large and square for me to get a scope far enough forward to get a decent view through the scope.

Of course, I am a bit of a genetic freak.

Ask for (and get) dealer pricing from Brownells and the price for the sweet S&K is closer to $75.
Then you'll have a set of bulletproof and classy mounts when you upgrade scopes in the future.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The talleys work great but are kinda ugly, I usually only use them on the rifles where I don't care how they look. The warnes look good and are extremely strong. Personally, I'd just put on some leupold dual dovetails and call it good, but if you want something different the warnes work great and look pretty good also.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
noKnees has it pegged. My choice is Talleys all the way. You can turn them around to adjust for eye relief. The Deadnutz are butt-ugly to me, but look hell-for stout. Burris Sig. gives you the most options for adjustment, but have been hard to find.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For an inexpensive scope on a pedestrian rifle.....generic Weaver-style rings on generic Weaver-style bases.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I only use Talley Ltwts any more. They have been bulletproof for me, knock on wood. Ltwt lows would work for you.

Another vote for Talley lightweights. I agree with the bulletproof part, although I'd rather not have proven it to myself... One of my rifles took a bad bounce and rather dramatic fall from a rack in a ATV. Rifle wasn't damaged. Scope (leupy) wasn't damaged. The Talleys weren't damaged either, but the two rear base screws sheared off and had to be (very carefully) drilled out. I was relieved that was the worst of it. Got everything remounted and damned if the rifle wasn't more than an inch off zero. Yes, I'm a fan of Talley.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No matter what bases, use Burris Signature rings. The scope will thank you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a fan of Leo DD bases with Burris Sig rings, but for what you are mounting I agree with dawaba on this project

"I will remain what I am until the day I die- A HUNTER"......Sitting Bull
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by inland44
Ive always had good luck with Leupold and Burris rings and bases but looking to try something new. Will be having a Redfield Revolution 3X9 40mm put on an older model Remington BDL. I hear lots to talk about Tally's and Warne, Any sugestions and advice is apprecated.

Thanks

If you are concerned with the weight of the rifle all up, the Warne Maxima rings + bases are heavier than Talley LWs. Neither are graceful in appearance but the Warnes are particularly chunky. I suspect that they are that way because they are sintered steel.

For a detachable mount, I would go with Weaver style 2 pc base and Burris Signature Zee rings. For non-detachable, Talley LWs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1minute, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,541
Posts18,472,864
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.