Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
This is just me but I'd be rolling the way of the .270 and get on with it.

Dober

This. grin

I love these conversations.Doubly amusing when many of the 270 critics base opinions on reading a bunch of numbers,and after further inquiry it's frequently found that many of them have never fired a shot out of a 270 and (even worse) have never killed a single head of game with one.. shocked

I could take the conversations on here seriously if I did not personally know quite a few hunters from various parts of the country who have filled trophy rooms with various species (from grizzly and moose on down)from all corners of the Continent,and world wide as well with the 270 Winchester.(I have killed one or two head myself)..the 270 naysayers on here could maybe polish their boots. whistle smile

So conversations about the 270's "inadequacy" leaves me giddy with laughter crazy

The OP should buy what he wants,and the 280AI is a fine cartridge, but I have not seen a 280AI that I would wait a year for....If I am going to wait a year for a 7mm, it ain't gonna be some slightly blown out case invented by some gunsmith who never hunted anything much,and that is so close in performance that I have to squint at numbers to see a difference.....I'd want something that flat blows the doors off a 270 or a 280AI.

Grab the 270 and go kill stuff. wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/15/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Its too late Bob, he has cast his lot with the upstart 280AI.
Mitt could have one year under his belt by then! Or, we could be in the depths of a depression by then too!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Its too late Bob, he has cast his lot with the upstart 280AI.
Mitt could have one year under his belt by then! Or, we could be in the depths of a depression by then too!

just like a true politician i am also looking at a 270 or 25-06 montuckian to fill the void. cocadori may have a bead on a 25-06 but if anyone knows of a 270 please let me know.

go mitt

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stevenautique
sorry. typo. meant to say would this be much of an issue for a reloder?

Your correct. Handloading would solve the issues. Just fireform your own cases and carry on.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
84L.....30-06

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
This is just me but I'd be rolling the way of the .270 and get on with it.

Dober

This. grin

I love these conversations.Doubly amusing when many of the 270 critics base opinions on reading a bunch of numbers,and after further inquiry it's frequently found that many of them have never fired a shot out of a 270 and (even worse) have never killed a single head of game with one.. shocked

I could take the conversations on here seriously if I did not personally know quite a few hunters from various parts of the country who have filled trophy rooms with various species (from grizzly and moose on down)from all corners of the Continent,and world wide as well with the 270 Winchester.(I have killed one or two head myself)..the 270 naysayers on here could maybe polish their boots. whistle smile

So conversations about the 270's "inadequacy" leaves me giddy with laughter crazy

The OP should buy what he wants,and the 280AI is a fine cartridge, but I have not seen a 280AI that I would wait a year for....If I am going to wait a year for a 7mm, it ain't gonna be some slightly blown out case invented by some gunsmith who never hunted anything much,and that is so close in performance that I have to squint at numbers to see a difference.....I'd want something that flat blows the doors off a 270 or a 280AI.

Grab the 270 and go kill stuff. wink

Bob, I don't know why you always compare "the amount of game" the 270 has taken over the 280 Ackley when the latter was a wildcat and the former had, what, a 50-60 year head start. The Montana is available now in 280 Ackley as well. Your analogy makes as much sense as saying a Chevy Corvette is better than a Ford GT-40 and you have the sales numbers that prove it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The 280 AI is now snake bit what with Nosler messing up the headspace dimensions from what Ackley designed.

would this matter much for the reloaded?

That's just another example of Savage 99 speaking of things he know's little about. Bottom line, if you're a reloader, it wouldn't make any difference and if you think it does, you shouldn't be reloading.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Montana in 25/06 that shot well would be some kind of rig, in my eyes. I could take one and do just about everything that needed doin', and be one happy hunting fool!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tanner
A Montana in 25/06 that shot well would be some kind of rig, in my eyes. I could take one and do just about everything that needed doin', and be one happy hunting fool!

Pst.....hey you, did you shoot your elk???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The 280 AI is now snake bit what with Nosler messing up the headspace dimensions from what Ackley designed.

would this matter much for the reloaded?

That's just another example of Savage 99 speaking of things he know's little about. Bottom line, if you're a reloader, it wouldn't make any difference and if you think it does, you shouldn't be reloading.

Can the .280 Remington factory loads be fired safely in the subject .280AI chamber?

Or is the chamber to Nosler's dimensions which may preclude that?

If a .280 Rem. factory round cannot be fired in it then it's not a true AI but just a wildcat!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Key word was "reloader".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tedthorn
84L.....30-06

This !!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Tanner

Pst.....hey you, did you shoot your elk???
No sir, skunked after 3 days. I don't even want to talk about the amount of ground we covered. I think I may have come close to wearing out a 2 month old pair of Meindls.

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 28lx
Originally Posted by tedthorn
84L.....30-06

This !!

O.K., if it were me This!!!

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RD: I dunno...maybe I've been around too long grin and lived through the introduction of too many upstart cartridges that grabbed the attention of the rifle loonies,and designed by their makers to supplant the 270 and eat into its' popularity.Examples include the .284, the 280 Remington,(today the 280AI)and a host of others.The only one's wringing their hands that these cartridges have not been as successful as their proponents thought they should be,are a relative few rifle nuts.....in the meantime the peasants grab a 270 and way lay more animals....the jilted fans run for the booze and lament..... smile

Mostly they didn't make it...and on the popularity scale they were mostly flops....the only one that grabbed a really firm seat is the 7 Rem Mag,which was wildly popular.

I don't know a better way to objectively analyze a cartridges effectivness in the scheme of things than to measure its' popularity and game taking ability.And no better way to do that, than tally BG scores in the hands of 100's of thousands of hunters over decades of use....The 270 wins on both counts.

If you read my posts, I never say the 270 is a "better" cartridge than this or that...what I do say is that there isn't enough difference to notice among comparable cartridges when it comes to killing things.Its' performance is so close to that of the 7mm's of comparable capacity that it isn't worth talking about mostly smile Maybe that's because it is a 7mm. whistle

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey everybody- I had someone offer me a kimber 84L or ascent in a 280AI. Unfortunately i was just told that the rifle still needed to be ordered and not here! I like the 280AI as a cartridge but it can take upto 1 year for the rifle to ship from Kimber. That is a loooong time. the 270 is more readily available. I know that the 7mm has a better selection of high BC bullets but for most realistic shot distances does it really matter? I cant see myself shooting much past 500yds. The rifle is meant as a general use out west mountain trekker. Mulies, elk and sheep when and if i can draw a tag. I guess what i am saying and asking is if the wait for the 280AI is worth it? I know it has an edge on paper but once past 300yds arent we counting clicks or managing a hold over anyway? Just looking for others opinions. The 270 has a pedigree no doubt but it just seems kinda boring. But then again maybe boring is good??? Thanks in advance- just trying to balance patience and effectiveness.

Regarding the 84L MT vs. Mountain Ascent version... have you ever shot an 84L MT in any chambering?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Hey everybody- I had someone offer me a kimber 84L or ascent in a 280AI. Unfortunately i was just told that the rifle still needed to be ordered and not here! I like the 280AI as a cartridge but it can take upto 1 year for the rifle to ship from Kimber. That is a loooong time. the 270 is more readily available. I know that the 7mm has a better selection of high BC bullets but for most realistic shot distances does it really matter? I cant see myself shooting much past 500yds. The rifle is meant as a general use out west mountain trekker. Mulies, elk and sheep when and if i can draw a tag. I guess what i am saying and asking is if the wait for the 280AI is worth it? I know it has an edge on paper but once past 300yds arent we counting clicks or managing a hold over anyway? Just looking for others opinions. The 270 has a pedigree no doubt but it just seems kinda boring. But then again maybe boring is good??? Thanks in advance- just trying to balance patience and effectiveness.

Regarding the 84L MT vs. Mountain Ascent version... have you ever shot an 84L MT in any chambering?

Hello Brad

Yes- i have shot a MT in 280AI and have owned in the past a classic in 270wsm, and 325wsm. Love the montana stock!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steven, reason I ask is I find the 84L/84M MT's about as light as I'd care to go. The Mountain Ascent is too much of a good thing IMO. And the 30-06 84L MT with full house 180's is about as much as I'd care to deal with recoil-wise.

Light is an off-season fantasy that's easy to overdue.

Just my observations as a backpack hunter having owned a pile of MT's over the last 7 years.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And from the for what it's worth category the one Ascent 280 AI I've been around it had a brake on it. Not sure if it was supposed to come that way or not?

I'd still go .270 or .06 in the regular Montana.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm in the 84L/84M = "just right", Ascent = "too light" camp.

Edited to add...actually the 84L/84M could use just a tad more weight out front....

Last edited by JCMCUBIC; 10/16/12. Reason: + a few oz's to 84's
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 6MMWASP, 17 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,919
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.