Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Higher prices, layoffs, lower hours, and more part-time workers are going to be the order of the day. Companies are not going to allow a hit on the bottom line, nor should they be expected to.

As an ancient Persian once said, "There ain't no free lunches (or health care)".

Florida restaurateur to impose surcharge for ObamaCare

Get ready to pay more for your Grand Slam.

A Florida restaurateur who operates roughly 40 Denny�s locations and five Hurricane Grill & Wings franchises in Florida, Virginia and Georgia intends to add a 5 percent surcharge to customers� bills to offset costs from ObamaCare beginning in January 2014 when the Affordable Care Act is fully implemented.

�People are trying to find ways to avoid the penalties and to avoid having to pay for ObamaCare,� John Metz told FoxNews.com. �Everyone�s looking for a way to not have to provide insurance for their employees. It�s essentially a huge tax on all us business people.�

To further offset the costs, Metz, who oversees roughly 1,200 employees as president and CEO of RREMC Restaurants, LLC, said he also will slash most of the staff's time to fewer than 30 hours per week. That change will be announced to employees next month, he said.

�I want to explain it to everybody, to let them know what�s coming down the pike,� he said. �We like to keep our employees informed.�

The changes will force some front-of-the-house employees to look for second jobs, Metz said, but he simply cannot afford the penalties associated with ObamaCare.

�It�s a great concept,� he said. �We want to have everyone insured. The problem is, who is going to pay for it and how are we going to accomplish this?�

Under the current law, employers with more than 50 full-time (or equivalent) workers will be charged a penalty for the number of employees exceeding 30 full-time staffers who are not covered. With an average of 35 full-time employees per location, Metz said the $2,000 penalty would total roughly $70,000 per restaurant. Current coverage costs Metz up to $6,000 annually per full-time employee, he said. He currently provides coverage to about 250 employees.

�It�s going to be a big issue for all of us � for my employees and for me,� said Metz, who has been in the industry since 1975. �The ones that are working more than 28 hours, they�re going to act as if I�m cutting their hours and they�ll have to find another job.�

At Denny�s restaurants operated by Metz, the average check is $9, he said, meaning the ObamaCare surcharge if implemented would be 45 cents on that bill. At Hurricane Grill & Wings locations, where the average bill is $14.50, the surcharge would total 72 cents.

Metz said he believes the entire restaurant industry � even high-end locations � will ultimately embrace the idea.

�That is what I foresee and that is the easier, least painful way to deal with these added costs,� he said. �In a true playing field, everybody will impose this, from McDonald�s to Denny�s to even maybe the fine dining restaurants in order to have the funds to be able to pay for either insurance or the penalty for not providing insurance to their employees.�

Metz also is urging his employees to consider contacting their local elected officials in hopes of finding another solution to offset his looming increased costs.

�It�s never good news, but it is what it is,� Metz said of increasing customers� checks. �We really should look for a better or different way to pay for [ObamaCare]. I think what we�re going to ultimately see here is a European-type system where we have a value added tax or a national sales tax.�

Metz continued: �I have a choice: try to live within the rules, or go out of business.�

From FOX News.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just the TIP of the major iceberg headin' straight for the USATitanic...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
If he's imposing a surcharge to cover his additional expense AND cutting hours for his employee's AND laying off employee's then he's [bleep] the schit out of everybody {cutomers and employee's} and I hope he dies a long, agonozing death and rots in hell for eternity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gee, Blackheart, dont hold back, tell us how you really feel about it. grin

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, trying to maintain profit margin is just plain evil. May the devil take him....

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Redneck
Just the TIP of the major iceberg headin' straight for the USATitanic...

Yep, it's just the start.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Chit's gonna knock the blades off the fan after Jan 1.

Gunner

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Been there a few times, the wings are excellent.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Yep, trying to maintain profit margin is just plain evil. May the devil take him....
I guaran-damn tee you he's got it figured so he's passing ALL the extra expense on to his customers and employee's with a good bit EXTRA left over for him. Any excuse to [bleep] people over for bigger profit is a good excuse.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Maybe he should run the restaurants at a loss and let Obama bail him out. Then the government could control the menu. Maybe they could rename them Reginald Denny's because when making omelets they would take the yolks out and beat only the whites.

Bb

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
Higher prices, layoffs, lower hours, and more part-time workers are going to be the order of the day. Companies are not going to allow a hit on the bottom line, nor should they be expected to.

As an ancient Persian once said, "There ain't no free lunches (or health care)".
Exactly right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never thought I'd say this but I have to agree with Blackheart on this.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Not surprised.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Maybe he should run the restaurants at a loss and let Obama bail him out. Then the government could control the menu. Maybe they could rename them Reginald Denny's because when making omelets they would take the yolks out and beat only the whites.

Bb

WWAAAAAHHHAAAAAAA, RD omelettes, TFF BB. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Do you and Blackheart even have a passing clue as to WHY businesses are in business?

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Otter

Do you and Blackheart even have a passing clue as to WHY businesses are in business?

Yes.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody that did not expect the common everyday worker to be the one that pays for all of this, had his head in the sand. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by milespatton
Anybody that did not expect the common everyday worker to be the one that pays for all of this, had his head in the sand. miles

And the other one in his butt.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just reading some of the ignorant comments on this thread reminds me of how Rush was making this exact point today. The majority of voters are clueless of how the great American Free Enterprise System works. Most people trade hours for dollars (job) as their means of income, while only a small percentage are investors (capitalists) and business owners (entrepreneurs) who must deal with government taxes and regulations, all of which affect their ability to not only make a profit, but to actually stay in business. He went on to say this is an education failure of our public school system, as well as a Republican Party failure to educate the masses on the ins and outs of business ownership, and how only successful and profitable businesses can offer jobs to the masses.

When Reagan said that "government is the problem," there were more voters who understood that concept than there are today.

What is the old saying? . . . If you are ignorant (ie. of the basics of capitalism and free-enterprise) it is better to hide that fact from the public by keeping your mouth shut than to speak up and remove all doubt (or words to that effect)

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BS.. EVERYONE knew you'd agree...

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Just reading some of the ignorant comments on this thread reminds me of how Rush was making this exact point today. The majority of voters are clueless of how the great American Free Enterprise System works.
AND they've been taught, by the liberal public education system, to HATE that very idea..

A couple posters above are prime examples..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 270wsmnutt, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,814 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,597
Posts18,532,523
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.