Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Florence-area man fends off wolf that attacked dog

FLORENCE � Don Burgess loves a good outdoor adventure story.

The former hunting editor of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation�s Bugle magazine never imagined one of his best would happen right in his backyard.

It�s been about a week and a half now since Burgess was awakened from a deep sleep at about 5 a.m. to the sound of an obvious struggle outside his bedroom.

Burgess lives about 100 feet from One Horse Creek, just about one mile west of the only stoplight in Florence.

�It was a pretty loud vocalization just outside the house,� he remembered. �It was a real alarming kind of sound. It was like someone was hollering with a gag in their mouth. I thought, �Gee, that dog is in trouble.� �

He jumped out of bed and reached for his flashlight but ended up grabbing a canister of pepper spray instead.

�Ordinarily, I would have grabbed my pistol, but there wasn�t time,� Burgess said. �I ran downstairs in my skivvies and put on a pair of flip-flops and ran outside.�

He was met with a strange silence.

�The noise had been going pretty strong all this time, but by the time I got out the door, it had gone quiet,� he said.

He shone his flashlight around. One of his dogs was there sniffing the ground next to the back step, but he couldn�t see the other, a heavily muscled boxer that weighs about 65 pounds.

He walked over to the creek and shone his light there.

�I didn�t see or hear anything,� he said.

So he turned upstream and walked along a little trail that went back toward the creek.

�I was starting to feel like it was too late,� he said. �I didn�t hear any sound anymore. It seemed like such a bad deal. I mean, we both love our dog.�

And then he heard something just across the creek.

It sounded like something was attempting to growl with its mouth full. In his flashlight�s beam, he spotted something on the other side of the creek.

�It was a little spooky,� Burgess said. �It gave me a bearing where the dog was, and so I waded across the creek.�

He lost a flip-flop along the way.

When he lifted his flashlight again, he spotted them five feet away up against the base of a big cottonwood tree.

�They were real close,� he said. �Way closer than I thought they would be. This thing was facing me with its head down and apparently holding my dog in its mouth. Nothing was moving. I popped the pepper spray.�

Immediately, the light-colored wolf let go of the dog and stood sideways to Burgess.

�Here I was with this light looking through an orange cloud at this scene unfolding before me,� he said. �It was like a flash photo of this wolf with its head leaning forward and its tail standing straight out.

�I had this little snapshot of him and then he was gone.�

Burgess was sure that his dog was going to be shredded to pieces.

�I�ll be darn if it didn�t crawl out of the brush and slink back across the creek without even stopping to say hi to me,� he said. �It waded back across the creek and back to the house.�

It was met by Burgess� wife, standing there on the deck with a rifle in her hands.

�The only thing she could find to grab was a pellet gun,� he said. �The dog was so traumatized that all it could do was quiver. It went under the kitchen table and stayed for a long time.�

The dog�s only injuries were two puncture wounds. One was on top of its muzzle and the other underneath one of its eyes.

Later in the week, Burgess asked a state wolf biologist about the difference between the bite on the canine teeth of a coyote and a wolf. He was told a coyote�s teeth might span up to an inch and a half. A wolf�s would measure more than 2 inches wide.

�I measured the span at 2 1/4 inches,� he said. �That sealed the deal for me that it was a wolf.�

His boxer is 65 pounds of muscle.

�He�s a buff boxer. He looks like he�s half pit bull,� Burgess said. �He definitely more than met his match that night. Psychologically, it�s taken him several days to get over it. He still goes out on the deck and sniffs and looks around. He�s not very sure of himself anymore.�

To this day, Burgess can�t be sure what it was that wolf wanted with his dog.

�I still puzzled over what that wolf was trying to do,� he said. �My dog may have attacked it and it was just defending itself. It might just have been thinking how it was going to let this thing in its mouth go.

�I�m still shaking my head about it all. It all happened so fast. All of it probably happened in a span of two or three minutes.�

It will definitely be one of those stories told and retold.

�It�s a good one to tell for a long time to come,� he said. �I can tell people to top that when they say they have a good wolf story to tell.�

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...693-a320-7c650226895c.html#ixzz2D0vsvf00

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
The wolf motto: Anything to make a turd.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think the guy's hound dog used up all his good luck on that little encounter. Best to never do again what he did.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Next time he best grab a gun.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

Said he had time to grab the spray perfume but not his pistol. Doesn't make sense to me as I always have a handgun of some sort within easy reach and figure most other people do also. Maybe he will change his priorities.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I had to pry a wuff of my dog and my ol lady brought me a pellet gun to do it.....Id beat the wuff with the thing and then put a pellet in my wifes azz! laugh

Hot sauce and a pellet gun!?!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I 'spect his wife gave him an earful about confronting a wuff with pepper spray, in his skivies smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner
If I had to pry a wuff of my dog and my ol lady brought me a pellet gun to do it.....Id beat the wuff with the thing and then put a pellet in my wifes azz! laugh

Hot sauce and a pellet gun!?!

hell at least she had some sort of gun..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What the hell can you expect from a former Rocky Mountian Wolf Foundation employee?

NRA Lifetime Member
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
And a boxer in its prime is a pretty bad-ass dog. Might have been caught by surprise. I wonder why the other dog didn't jump in. Wonder what the other dog's breed was.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

Said he had time to grab the spray perfume but not his pistol. Doesn't make sense to me as I always have a handgun of some sort within easy reach and figure most other people do also.
Everywhere except your bathroom, though, right? wink

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Only 2 puncture marks? That was no wolf.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by BrentD

Vampire?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
What else could pick up a Boxer and drag it that far?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lion - but seems unlikely he'd mistake a lion for a wuff

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"To this day, Burgess can�t be sure what it was that wolf wanted with his dog."

News flash buddy, he wanted to eat it.

Quando Omni Moritati
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
"To this day, Burgess can�t be sure what it was that wolf wanted with his dog."

News flash buddy, he wanted to eat it.

No, he wanted to invite it to join his pack. grin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I'm sure glad we got straightened out on that. Nothing like having a REAL expert around.

Now if only D Pole would way in....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, allowing that the wolf likely coulda made mincemeat of that dog in non time had it been serious.

Could it have been a female wolf in heat? Or simply a pack outcast seeking canine company?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
he didn't have time to grab his pistol. his wife could only find a pellet gun.

they were wide open for a wolf attack.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,841
Posts18,478,128
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.