Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm just taking the numbers from Carter Niemeyer. He handled over 300 of them in MT/WY/ID. He has "street cred" or whatever that translates to in the field.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I heard they got up to 400 pounds and have even developed venom.

Generic mutations its called.

No [bleep], I heard it from my uncles buddy. Word is PA game commission is behind it. They bred 'em in their labradorys to kill deer and its all paid for by the insurance compoanys.

All good though, me and the boyz is fixin to turn a couple hunnert pit bulls loose on 'em. I heard they were "gripping dogs". Its gonna be badazz!!!

I'll try an take some pictures.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
An animal like this don't need no 'pack' to get the drop on a friggen boxer.

Ghost, you're right that he'd likely win by mere size advantage, assuming the Boxer didn't get hold quickly.

With certain breeds of dog, it's just the opposite. Human selection has concentrated in certain breeds a high degree of disregard for personal injury and a determination to hold on a bite.

You take a full grown wild canine that has been fighting & killing to survive it's whole life & it isn't gonna be much of a contest between a wild animal & a domestic dog...I don't care how BADASS you THINK he is...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
The tale in the OP is bullcrap. A 65-lb boxer tangles with a wolf near the house, the fight carries across a creek where the boxer is subdued and held in the wolf's jaws, yet the boxer is fine except for a two puncture holes.

Yeah, right.

Agree.....

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

You take a full grown wild canine that has been fighting & killing to survive it's whole life & it isn't gonna be much of a contest between a wild animal & a domestic dog...I don't care how BADASS you THINK he is...
Wolves actually don't do much if any real fighting. They try to have the odds stacked substantially in their favor when they pursue game, and amongst themselves their fights don't amount to much, since the pecking order is held fairly stable. Winners and losers in their fights are determined quickly, and mostly after a lot of harmless threat display and posturing, rather than real gripping.

Think about it. Were it otherwise, wolves in the wild (both fight winners and fight losers) would be constantly dealing with bite wounds, and bite wounds in the wild tend to become infected and kill those that have them. This would tend to prevent the determined-fighting characteristic that you believe they possess from passing on to the next generation.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
When wolf meets dog, the Las Vegas odds makers immediately put up a line, 10,000:1 for the wolf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAoszVLRP6U

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You don't get outside much do you trh....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BrentD
When wolf meets dog, the Las Vegas odds makers immediately put up a line, 10,000:1 for the wolf.

I've seen that before. Coyotes aren't boar dogs, bull dogs, or pit dogs, and that wasn't a one on one confrontation.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And when he does, he ain't on a learnin' safari.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
coyote vs your dog....coyote wins

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrentD

I've seen that before. Coyotes aren't boar dogs, bull dogs, or pit dogs, and that wasn't a one on one confrontation.

Wouldn't have made any difference. A coyote is just not anywhere a match for a wolf. There may be two or three breeds of big mean dogs that might whip a wolf but they wouldn't be left in any kind of condition to ever fight again.

That ain't Disney World out where they live. They have to kill something every few days just to stay alive so either they get good at it very early in life or they die. Dogs don't live their life like that. Rare is the dog that ever kills anything at all, maybe a rabbit, squirrel, or somebody's house cat on rare occasion but the wild ones kill or die. Somehow, you gotta try hard to understand that. Your viscous pit dog wouldn't last three seconds with a coyote; less with a wolf.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

Wolves actually don't do much if any real fighting. They try to have the odds stacked substantially in their favor when they pursue game, and amongst themselves their fights don't amount to much, since the pecking order is held fairly stable. Winners and losers in their fights are determined quickly, and mostly after a lot of harmless threat display and posturing, rather than real gripping.

Think about it. Were it otherwise, wolves in the wild (both fight winners and fight losers) would be constantly dealing with bite wounds, and bite wounds in the wild tend to become infected and kill those that have them. This would tend to prevent the determined-fighting characteristic that you believe they possess from passing on to the next generation.

Guess what you idiot... wild wolves are some pretty tore up scarred up critters. Wolves not part of a pack are subject to killing for simple trespass if they re caught. Packs will not infrequently go after each other. Jeezuz you live in a freaking fairy tale world. I have seen a few caged wolves that weren't scarred up, but most of them get tore up regular. I can't tell you how many wolves I've seen getting patched up on a surgery table. It wasn't the local neighborhood dogs that did it either.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Can a baboon whip a wolf ? wink

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

I'll bet you that baboons are pretty careful of tangling with African wild dogs.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
These vids are more relevant to our discussion than that one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That might be a draw.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Notice the dogs wear protective vests...how about without?

and then how about one on one?

trh you are out of your element. NO dog has a chance against a wolf........

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This whole debate was fully resolved already by the movie White Fang. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

All it takes is a little 55 Gr bullet.

NRA Lifetime Member
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 22250rem, 2500HD, 1badf350, 47 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,691
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.