Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't have a dog in this battle(joke) but reading it i have to think of a friends pet dog called, "wolf" Wolf was about 90% alaskan wolf. At maturity wolf could put both his paws on my shoulders and i am over six feet tall. As a pup he was introduced to my pup at the time a golden retriever. My goldie didn't want to get near him, realizing he was NOT a dog. Which wolf wasn't.
Now his owner could play with him and wrestle, I could, but nobody else much got near him. I have to say he was probably around 150 to 175pounds. Pretty good guy he was, but I don't think anybody ever thought of messing with him, human, or canine. He did have a instinct tho, and some times on the desert he would take off at night, disappear, and come back the next morning with blood on his coat, we always thought he had went to get dinner. The only trouble he ever really got into was getting out of the compound one day and killing about 15chickens.
He was NOT a dog, and the dogs seem to know it too.
I had another friend that had a wolf hybred brought down from alaska. It finally had to be put down. Neighborhood kids were throwing rocks at it in a back yard, and he got irritated enough one day he jumped a six foot fence and caught one.
I don't think the owners, or myself for that matter, would have ever put either of these guys into a fight with a dog. But I don't have much doubt either what the result would have been.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/25/12.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
A friend bought a wolf pup a few years ago.

He had always been a dog kind of guy and kept various large mutts around his place but the wolf gave him trouble.

He first tried to keep him from roaming by putting a shock collar on him and burying a wire that activated it around the perimeter of the yard.

He said that it had always worked with his other dogs,..but that the wolf would go across it just to take a leak,..then come back across it as if nothing was there.

It started staying away for days at a time and when it would return there'd be goat and sheep heads in the yard.

It had to go.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
My goldie didn't want to get near him, realizing he was NOT a dog. Which wolf wasn't.

These canines all seem to be speaking the same language, and have no idea they're of a different species. Because they're not. There's less genetic variation between a wolf and a Lab than there is between a Pomeranian and Great Dane.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by roundoak
Part of the Wisconsin wolf hunt regulations passed by the legislature allows for taking wolves with dogs. In a round about way, are you guys saying the Wisconsin State Legislature passed some rules that are ridiculous?

it's called baiting

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had hounds my entire life, I've used them on coons, bears, and cats. I've seen a single hound kill a 40lb. coon before, and I've also seen a 40lb. coon whip 4 hounds so badly that they were all afraid to grab it anymore and the coon just walked off. Depends on how much fight is in the dog and how much practise its had killing game. I was on my way to a tree one night where four hounds were treed on a coon and all of a sudden one hell of a fight broke out. I took off running and when I got there my four hounds, all full grown adults, were all backed up against each other facing out because 4 or 5 coyotes had them pinned down. Didn't get an actual count on the number of coyotes as they took off in every direction when I came running up. Everyone of those hounds had teeth marks either on their face and necks or back around their balls which is how those coyotes were trying to take them down. They were holding their own on coyotes for the 10-15 minutes it took me to get to the tree, but theres no doubt if they would of been wolves they would of all been dead by the time I got there. Every one of those hounds were probably 55-65lb. dogs with lots of practise fighting coons, bears, and cats (bobcats and mtn. lions). I also had a big tough 1/2 Black & Tan 1/2 Bluetick male that probably weighed 90lbs that damn near killed a big tough 130lb Rottweiler yard dog once before me and another guy could pry him off the Rotts neck with an axe handle. Like I said it depends on the fight in the dog and how much practise they've had killing game. When we got those dogs apart that Rott had a broken front leg and his face and neck was all chewed up. His head ended up looking like a swelled up basketball by the next day.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Somebody wanted to know about Irish Wolfhounds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Wolfhound

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
If there were dogs that could fight as well as a Pitbull, their breed would be called Pitbull, and Pitbulls would be called something else. Pitbulls are Pitbulls because they represent the premier line among dogs in combat, whether against other animals or other dogs. A dog of another breed needs to be at least twice the fighting weight of a Pitbull even to make it interesting.

I wonder why I don't constantly hear advocates for their breeds insisting that their favorite breed would actually beat a greyhound on the race track. Greyhounds aren't the dogs on the race tracks because folks just think they look right running on a race track, or because of some cherished tradition. They're there because they represent the premier racing dog. Same with Pitbulls vis-a-vis combat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BrentD: You "through" down the wager.
For this thread, hope you know more about wolves than you do about your university prof spelling. Fixed = You "threw"--.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good Boy! grin

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by CCCC
BrentD: You "through" down the wager.
For this thread, hope you know more about wolves than you do about your university prof spelling. Fixed = You "threw"--.

Oh goody. Do you feel like a big, important person now? A real he-man? Whatever dude.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
All you need is a half pit bull half Alligator.

ya but where you going to find an alligator desperate enough for a piece of tail to breed a pitbull?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by calikooknic
But that's impossible. Everyone knows that wolves have magical abilities when it comes to fighting with dogs. They don't even fight dogs, in fact. They just kill them outright. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

These canines all seem to be speaking the same language, and have no idea they're of a different species. Because they're not. There's less genetic variation between a wolf and a Lab than there is between a Pomeranian and Great Dane.

which again proves you have no clue what your talking about....reread that statement and see if you can figure out why its idiotic and self contradictory....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I said this type of dog would hang with a wuff...but not a pit. A pit doesn't have the mass.

P.S A pit doesn't have a protective coat like a woof.

Last edited by okok; 11/25/12.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by okok
I said this type of dog would hang with a wuff...but not a pit. A pit doesn't have the mass.

P.S A pit doesn't have a protective coat like a woof.
Mass and coat surely helps, but Pitbulls have been matched against all the breeds of dog the world over whose advocates were certain they'd finally discovered the breed that would dethrone the mighty Pitbull. Fights were arranged, even against giants (e.g., Japanese Tosas, and Neapolitan Mastiffs, to name two such matches I'm familiar with); a large, game bred, Pitbull was selected; and the outcomes were always the same. The larger dog, after an early advantage due to sheer size, always eventually runs out of steam, at which point the Pitbull (who hadn't yet begun to fight) starts tearing them a new one. It's an old story, repeated over and over and over again, the world over.

PS The way Pitbulls deal with dogs with thick coats is to grab hold of a leg, nose, or ear, and not let go. That's how my 75 lb male Pitbull instantly got the upper hand when he was attacked by a huge (200 + pounds) and hairy Pyrenean mastiff, i.e., by grabbing the upper foreleg, not letting go, and shaking the hold wildly, eventually getting the monster to let go of his hold on the back of his neck. Soon after that, the monster was on his back yelping for help, my dog still firmly attached.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
They grow 'em big here in Central Idaho..I wouldn't bet on any dog against one like this.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by logcutter
They grow 'em big here in Central Idaho..I wouldn't bet on any dog against one like this.

[Linked Image]

Jayco
Looks like the one from The 300.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It was taken in the St Joe area of North central Idaho by the high school senior pictured.The warden pictured estimated it at 180 pounds in the article about it but our local no-it-alls say different..Don't matter much,he is huge and his head and jaws are not something I would want to be on the other end of.

Jayco

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

E.g., do you suppose a lone wolf of any size would attempt to take down a healthy three hundred pound wild boar? Dogs of the gripping breeds will, and they'll nearly die before letting one go once they've got a hold.

Yes, they would, I'm sure of it. Food is food.

I simply proposed that solitary wolves would not ordinarily persist in an effort to take down a dog of the variety that I've specified if said dog had a solid grip on it. More likely, such a wolf would seek to disengage and withdraw. Wolves seek to avoid serious wounds by instinct, whereas dogs of the variety I'm referring to disregard such and maintain their grip with persistence.

I simply proposed that solitary wolves would not ordinarily persist in an effort to take down a dog of the variety that I've specified if said dog had a solid grip on it. More likely, such a wolf would seek to disengage and withdraw

False. A lone wolf WILL seek out a dog or dogs, no matter the breed. A wolf is a bad ass animal and no dog would stand a chance against one. Yes...One. A wolf wouldn't "seek to disengage and withdraw". The would kill and eat.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,827
Posts18,516,845
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.