Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I saw this on the news last night. A 64 year old man may be charged with second degree murder after shooting two burglars in his home. This was the eigth burglary.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
he should be!!.....he missed 3 other burglars! !!!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where do I send a check?

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You should also know he did not report it until the police came by the next day. The two were in his basement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From the Star Tribune

Charges: Rifle jammed, she laughed, so he killed her with a pistol

A 64-year-old man was charged Monday with murdering two teenagers who broke into his home on the outskirts of Little Falls, Minn., shooting each of them at close range in the head after he had already wounded them.

Byron David Smith was charged in Morrison County District Court with two counts of second-degree murder without premeditation in the killings of Nicholas Brady, 17, and his cousin Haile Kifer, 18. Smith is scheduled to appear in court later Monday.

The criminal complaint says that Smith shot the two as they came down his basement stairs several minutes apart on Thanksgiving Day. The complaint adds that he shot them numerous times.

He then waited a day before asking a neighbor to alert authorities, the document added. Smith showed investigators the bodies, was arrested and has remained jailed since.

According to the complaint, Smith told investigators:

He heard glass breaking around noon Thursday while he was in the basement. It was the latest of several break-ins that he's experienced. Brady started coming down the stairs, and Smith shot him with a rifle by the time he saw the intruder's hips.

Brady fell down the stairs and was looking up at Smith when the homeowner shot him in the face.

"I want him dead," Smith explained to the investigator for the additional shot.

Smith put Brady's body on a tarp and dragged him to an office workshop.

A few minutes later, Smith heard footsteps above him. As in Brady's case, Kifer too started down the stairs and was shot by Smith by the time he saw her hips, sending her tumbling down the stairs.

Smith attempted to shoot her again, but his rifle jammed, prompting Kifer to laugh.

Upset, Smith, pulled out a revolver he had on him and shot her "more times than I needed to" in the chest, he said.

Smith dragged Kifer next to Brady as she gasped for her life. He pressed the revolver's barrel under her chin and pulled the trigger in what he described as a "good, clean finishing shot" that was meant to end her suffering.

Smith acknowledged leaving the bodies in his home overnight before calling a neighbor to askabout a lawyer and to request that authorities be notified.

Two other news accounts:

GA Daily News

kstp.com

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Whoops. Bad judgement calls there.

I will shoot until nothing moves if I ever have to and worry later... but calling cops/lawyers the next day... and then opening your mouth to actually talk to LEO... nope...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by whelennut
I saw this on the news last night. A 64 year old man may be charged with second degree murder after shooting two burglars in his home. This was the eigth burglary.

If this took place in Minnesota....I'm NOT SURPRISED!! sleep crazy

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.....and two more dirtbags hit the worms. I bet nobody in that hood' screws with the "ole man" again.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone actually read anything about this? The guy, from what I can tell, NEVER called the police. A neighbor did to report suspicious activity or something.

Assuming it was a good shoot is really, really reaching without more information.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds to me like the only thing he'll be defending for the rest of his life will be his cell.

If the account above is accurate, he deserves it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thi one is a bit to hinky not to charge him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Sounds to me like the only thing he'll be defending for the rest of his life will be his cell.

If the account above is accurate, he deserves it.

I was beginning to wonder if anyone actually read the news account I posted.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All kinds of hinky on this case on both sides, there is gonna be a news conference at 1 today about it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AP article. http://enews.earthlink.net/article/us?guid=20121126/1bdb6bbe-7c98-46a3-a5ce-83e414cfe213
The guy was an idiot. Did they deserve shooting? Sure, they broke in. You break into my house, you get shot, period. But his actions during the shoot and especially afterwards will sink him.

[Linked Image]

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
AP article. http://enews.earthlink.net/article/us?guid=20121126/1bdb6bbe-7c98-46a3-a5ce-83e414cfe213
The guy was an idiot. Did they deserve shooting? Sure, they broke in. You break into my house, you get shot, period. But his actions during the shoot and especially afterwards will sink him.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I think that's right.

You shoot someone that broke in, you call the cops immediately or yer gonna be in the schitter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A criminal complaint says Smith told investigators he shot Schaeffel when the teen had partially descended the stairs, then fired again into the teen's face as he lay on the floor looking at him.

"I want him dead," the complaint quoted Smith telling an investigator.

He then described sitting down again in his chair, and in a few minutes, the second teen -- Kifer -- began walking down the steps. Smith said he shot her and she also fell down the stairs. He said he tried to shoot her again, and when his Mini 14 rifle jammed, she laughed at him.

Smith told investigators that made him mad: "If you're trying to shoot somebody and they laugh at you, you go again," he said, according to the complaint.

Smith said he then pulled out a .22-caliber revolver he was wearing and shot Kifer several times in the chest. He fired a final shot under her chin because she was still gasping for air a few minutes later, he said.

The guy doesn't sound like the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, eh?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Looks like we all win. Three scums removed from society.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by whelennut
Must be New York City or Chicago, or some place like that, right?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TJAY
You should also know he did not report it until the police came by the next day. The two were in his basement.
Well, I guess that's a little different. I guess he never heard of SS&S. laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
dude could have handled all that a bit differently. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

I have never seen a Mini-14 jam though. The 'facts' in the story might be at odds with the truth.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 11/26/12.

Sam......

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,076
Posts18,482,691
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.