Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OK, me and three guys are attempting to do a rim-to-rim Grand Canyon hike in the spring but it appears the odds of getting the permit are long. So, we are trying to find a backup plan. Those three guys are not big outdoorsmen so 'the wilds of Alaska' are not an option.
What would you suggest from any first hand experiences?

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Glacier

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do a south rim (via the Kiabab Trail) to river to south rim (via the Bright Angel Trail) hike. Then drive up to Manitou Springs and climb Pike's Peak via the Barr Trail.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Can't do Alaska and the overnight permits are the problem with the GC.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I can't fathom backpacking with three dudes but Glacier would be a safe bet.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Anywhere on the Appalachian Trail. Just not during the winter or early spring.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
...and the overnight permits are the problem with the GC.

You don't need overnight permits to do a south rim to river to south rim hike. You don't have to overnight in the canyon to get it done.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There are several cross park hikes in Glacier National Park that are spectacular. I did 2 of them (in 1960 and '61) on Glacier trail-crews and they are indeed well worth the trip. go for it!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
OK, me and three guys are attempting to do a rim-to-rim Grand Canyon hike in the spring but it appears the odds of getting the permit are long. So, we are trying to find a backup plan. Those three guys are not big outdoorsmen so 'the wilds of Alaska' are not an option.
What would you suggest from any first hand experiences?

A circuit of the Sage Creek Unit of Badlands NP.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Best 3 day hike in America?"

You're kidding, right?

There is no such thing as "best"... there' just a variety of diamonds with different colors.

Personally I don't consider anything inside the borders of a NP "best."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
I can't fathom backpacking with three dudes but Glacier would be a safe bet.

The OP said spring, but not how early in the spring. Glacier's best trails open when?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pick a spot in Utah.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Personally I don't consider anything inside the borders of a NP "best."

Generally, I would agree with you, but BLNP is an exception, esp. in the early spring (mid March). And this is just a 3-day affair.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's good because no one goes there.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The issue with Glacier is that at any time those cross-park trails can be shut down due to high grizzly bear activity. I worked there for a summer and tried to do the High Line 3 times and it was always closed by the time I got to the trail head.

To be honest, having lived and worked in Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton plus lived in Wyoming and Colorado for 40 years, If somebody asked me where to hike, I'd pick one place- The Cirque of Towers in Wyoming's Wind River Range. One day to Big Sandy. One day to day hike to the Cirque and one day back. 5 miles to Big Sandy and not far from there to the Cirque. There are hundreds of lakes in the Winds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 11/28/12.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Havasaupai Falls, day in, spend the night, explore the falls next day, hike out the 3rd day.

it's part of the GC but the Havasaupai Indians run it, google their website and call early, the office seems to run on Indian time.

it was a great trip for me and momma and our two sprouts, 14 and 10 at the time

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
here's the link to the spot I was referencing
http://www.havasupaitribe.com/mooney.html

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Sawtooths from Stanley to Grandjean??

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brad
It's good because no one goes there.

Pretty much. Esp. in Mid March. Might not be for everyone, but I like it

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
WCCowboy-
My favorite BP destination. Did the whole WR range from Flattop to Big Sandy back about 1973. 2 Weeks on the trail--the Highline Trail as I recall. We BP'ed several years in there--my new wife had really never been camping, much less BPing. She loved it and it became an annual trek for years. I recognized some of your pix as soon as I saw them. Could drink the water back then without filters/boiling...changed now but was cool not to have to carry more than a pint of water till you reached the next small stream for resupply. Took our 2 boys on their 1st BP there as well. Many good fishing streams and lakes...learned to love fly fishing there. Thanks for those pix.Great memories.One point on a Spring trip...I took my brother and 2 of my students in in late May/early June and snow banks were still 4-5 feet deep in the shadows. Had to pack out and back to Pinedale to rent snowshoes. Yeehaaaa! that was a fun new experience. Wish I hadn't gotten old...would like to go back to some favorite spots. I hope you enjoy it as long as you can. I envey your access to that great country. wink Best,

Joe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.