Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

True, but it IS a magnum! whistle

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ringworm
musta been city water. try it again with well water.
laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've killed 12 critters ranging from antelope to elk with Accubonds, including the very load you tested on the milk jugs. I've had nothing but great performance from Accubonds.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the milk jug shoot. Try it on game and see what happens. I bet you'll be happy with their performance.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bellydeep

I wouldn't put too much stock in the milk jug shoot. Try it on game and see what happens. I bet you'll be happy with their performance.

Exactly.

I used a 140 AB on an elk this fall and the bullet exited on 242 yard broadside shot. Not that an elk is much over 12 thick behind the shoulders, but that's more than milk jug. But most importantly, AB's seem to stir stuff up enough to make life short.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
wate is incompressable. Meaning it is at it most dense state as a liquid. Thats why if you wer to drop a submarine into the water from 500 feet it would destroy it, but you can go under the water in a submarine.
The water has to be pushed aside.
Do this slowly and you get penetration. If you do it at a velocity that is beyond the waters ability to be moved out of the way the the projectile is going to compress against the water.
Bone, hide, muscle are all less dense than water in its liquid state.
I am not "amazed" that the bullet didnt "penetrate" I am amzed that the fluid shift from the impact didnt destroy the milk jug on impact.
I have shot many mediums with hyper velocity ammo from RBCD. saboted .224 27 grain projectils from 30-06 for example, that wouldnt penetrate a jug. they would obliterate it. I have seen a boston butt roast that returned to its molecular state (almost) after being struck by a 90 gr 45ACP froma camp carbine.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All this talk about recovering bullets. I don't want to recover them. I want them to go all the way through for a good blood trail if needed. Always had trouble with recovering bullets until I tried my first box of Barnes Triple Shock. They should rename them the "Poleaxers".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
seems eveytime one of my buddies loses a deer that they know they hit well its with one of those poly tipped bullets . you guys can shoot those things if you want ,not me. i'll take any spire point bullet over them.

i use 50grn v-max in my 22-250 and 221fb. but i want those to come apart on impact.

Last edited by srwshooter; 12/01/12.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just loaded some Barnes 62 grain Varmint Granades in my 243. 3/4 inch group with my first try at a load. 44 grn of H380. Haven't shot anything with it yet to see how they work.

By the way, I shot that coyote in my avitar with the same gun and 100 grain Sierras (sp) at 200 yards. Took him in the bung hole and it didn't come out. You would sure think it should have. That is when I finally switched to the 85 grain Barnes Triple Shocks.

FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shot those 50 grainers for a bit in my 223, but when I switched to the 53s my groups tightened and the wind seemed to matter less. All I shoot with 'em is ground squirrels (we call 'em gophers), and the pink mist factor is impressive! Give those 53s a try, I don't think you'll go back.

A
adam32 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
It has been used on game...then not going thru a single milk jug also is what really set the alarm off...

"This same bullet/gun has killed two deer, both of which weren't very big and neither bullet made it thru the deer. One was a head on chest shot and it didn't even make it into the chest cavity (30 yard shot), the other was right behind the shoulder at 335 yards and it also didn't pass thru. That deer didn't die, I had to shoot it with my Ackley to bring it down."

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two .257 Roberts shots this year with a 110 AB at 2800 fps. Whitetail at 50 yards broadside - no exit, fell after running 30 yards with no heart or lung.
[Linked Image]

Axis at 70 yards angling away, bullet went through 2 1/2 feet of deer breaking three bones in the far shoulder but not exiting. Axis went 75 yards.

[Linked Image]

I see no reason to change bullets

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
A
adam32 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Pugs, nice deer. I like accubonds, I'm not saying they aren't usually a good bullet. It's that these ones I've shot must be bad...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is my deer from last week. In the fourth rib and out the first. Right straight down with the leg out straight and quivering. 85 Barnes in 243

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rod44; 12/01/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by srwshooter
seems eveytime one of my buddies loses a deer that they know they hit well its with one of those poly tipped bullets . you guys can shoot those things if you want ,not me. i'll take any spire point bullet over them.

Poly tips have absolutely nothing to do with it.

And keep in mind not all poly tips are created equal. Apparently, there are people out there stupid enough to use frangible varmint and target poly tipped bullets and push them out of a big-cased cartridge (because they shoot dime sized groups, which any deer rifle worth its weight must do these days) and expect broken shoulders and exit wounds.

And by the way, the Barnes TTSX has a poly tip...

Last edited by bellydeep; 12/01/12.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Barnes 85 grain 243 Triple Shock is not a poly tip, a hollow point.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rod44
The Barnes 85 grain 243 Triple Shock is not a poly tip, a hollow point.

A) TTSX= Tipped Triple Shock X; TSX = Triple Shock X

B) They're all hollow points. Some just have a poly tip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't killed a lot of game with AccuBonds yet but I've had nothing but perfect performance which I've come to expect from any and all Nosler bullets. I guess I'll save my milk jug shots for a different brand of bullet now after this vital information wink

Anybody have a recipe for milk jugs and advice as to whether well, city, or distilled water is the preferred filler? LOL

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bellydeep - Question. I can see the reason for poly tips in a tubular magazine. Why would the TSX need a poly tip and become the TTSX otherwize? More expansion, less expansion???

Maybe it is the same as colorful fishing lures - to catch the fishermen?

Last edited by rod44; 12/02/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rod44
Bellydeep - Question. I can see the reason for poly tips in a tubular magazine. Why would the TSX need a poly tip and become the TTSX otherwize? More expansion, less expansion???

Maybe it is the same as colorful fishing lures - to catch the fishermen?

i think you may be right about the color,they only need to catch a hunters eye to sell. like a super short mag.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Exit holes don't kill animals, internal damage to organs and arteries kill animals.

I have killed and seen many more animals killed with Accubonds, never did I see what I would consider a bullet failure or a lack of penetration. I have recovered 3 Accubonds from animals I shot, one was a buck facing me I took a frontal shot and it went the length of the buck and found the bullet in the left hind quarter, that was at 546yards. The other two were from an elk that was at 1031 yards, broad side shot, found them under the hide of the off shoulder. Two other bullets on that elk exited.

Obviously they don't penetrate like a Barnes or other mono bullets but they certainly have done what I wanted them to do time and time again.

If I want a bullet that will waaaaaay over penetrate I will go with the a Barnes. grin

Edit to add, this is not directed at you Jeff.

We all have our opinions. And we have strong feelings about them too.

In a perfect world, one could pick a bullet that does like the Bergers... penetrates enough, to get inside and then disentegrates. Would be a lot of non tracking involved.

To me that also inevitably ruins a lot of meat at times. If you could guarantee that all the frags would stay inside the ribcage then not so big a deal to me.

Personally I like 2 holes in an animal in case I have to trail them. Helps a bit. And I"m not so naive to know that even with the best of shots, and placement, now and then you have to trail.

And Heavy, no flames intended back at you, just an affirmation that the more holes internally, the quicker the death due to the trauma.

RE old Barnes fouling.... Yep that was a big issue. And then they didn't all shoot. I had an 06 that would not shoot em. And a 22-250 that shot 45s into about a 13 inch pattern at 100 regardless...
Have not seen same from Tsx or ttsx. They still don't always kill as fast as the ballistic tip type crowd likes though. FWIW. Plenty quick for me, but not for some.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 63 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,179
Posts18,523,766
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.