Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Grayson Highland State Park and Mt Rogers in Virginia

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Bristoe
1100 miles of trails within Glacier National Park.

I've probably hiked about 30 miles of them,..maybe a bit more.

They're all fantastic.

My first trip west was to Glacier in the summer of 1969, with 15 boys in our Explorer Post...all military dependents...

one of the guys Granddad's had just retired from the Air Force as a Major General, and had a 6,000 acre spread at Great Falls, that served as our base camp...Land he bought from the military, just after the end of WW 2...for peanuts.

Can't remember all the trails we hiked, but all in all we were there a month almost and hiked 292 miles total...

we never could get into Philmont because there was a waiting list in the Wash DC council... so we went to Glacier...

that holds a special place in my heart....

I have hiked the entire Appalachian Trail from Maine to Georgia, and as wonderful as it is.. it doesn't touch the awesomeness of the American and Canadian West...

Yeah,...the first time one encounters the interior of Glacier National Park, they'll be awestruck.

The first time I went, my wife and I were backcountry camping.

The camping area we were at was close to several trailheads.

We decided to explore one the first morning there.

We had only planned to go a short distance, but we couldn't stop. There was just too much surreal scenery jumping out at us from every direction.

We stayed out all day,..got back to camp totally exhausted.

We explored a different trail every day we were there,..saw a lot but barely scratched the surface.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
This is one hike we went on in Glacier,..The Grinnell Glacier trail. (this isn't my photo, but I have one taken from very close to the same vantage point)

Our camp was about a mile beyond the farthest lake you see in the photo.

The elevation changes quite a bit along the way.

It's been a long time, but as I recall, it's an 8 mile trip from the trailhead to the glacier.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
The issue with Glacier is that at any time those cross-park trails can be shut down due to high grizzly bear activity. I worked there for a summer and tried to do the High Line 3 times and it was always closed by the time I got to the trail head.

To be honest, having lived and worked in Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton plus lived in Wyoming and Colorado for 40 years, If somebody asked me where to hike, I'd pick one place- The Cirque of Towers in Wyoming's Wind River Range. One day to Big Sandy. One day to day hike to the Cirque and one day back. 5 miles to Big Sandy and not far from there to the Cirque. There are hundreds of lakes in the Winds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dang, if I don't believe you might be right. Gorgeous photos.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'll put another vote in for southern Utah canyon country. Pariah Canyon, San Rafael Swell, Needles District of Canyonlands, any and all would be perfect. Pics from a Thanksgiving trip down Pariah:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Best 3 day hike in America?

Originally Posted by bea175
Grayson Highland State Park and Mt Rogers in Virginia

Do write for The Onion?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bristoe
This is one hike we went on in Glacier,..The Grinnell Glacier trail. (this isn't my photo, but I have one taken from very close to the same vantage point)

Our camp was about a mile beyond the farthest lake you see in the photo.

The elevation changes quite a bit along the way.

It's been a long time, but as I recall, it's an 8 mile trip from the trailhead to the glacier.

That's a pretty slow pace over three days.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If the AT was seriously considered look at hiking in the Cohutta Wilderness area in north GA. It is more scenic than much of the AT, a true wilderness experience and a pretty close drive. The Jacks river and Conasauga river drainages are very scenic. You can also get in a lot of wilderness trout fishing.

Being so close you could easily do a 5 day or longer hike instead of spending the time driving across the country.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JMR40
If the AT was seriously considered look at hiking in the Cohutta Wilderness area in north GA. It is more scenic than much of the AT, a true wilderness experience and a pretty close drive. The Jacks river and Conasauga river drainages are very scenic. You can also get in a lot of wilderness trout fishing.

Being so close you could easily do a 5 day or longer hike instead of spending the time driving across the country.
The other 3 guys live in south Louisiana and one of them has a plane and two of them have their pilot's license. They aren't worried about commute times. I'm the only pauper of the bunch. wink

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well hell they can just pick me up then lol.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NathanL
Well hell they can just pick me up then lol.
You don't know these guys. I'm flying commercial! grin

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Up and over the Enchantments in the Alpine Lakes area of Washington State.

A fabulous hike in the summer. Spring? Bring snowshoes.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/enchantment-lakes

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,039
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.