Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rod44 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Having fun with my Ithaca LSA-55 in .243 this morning. Bought it back when they first came on the market. No modifications done to it, just like out of the box. Playing around with developing a varmint type of load for it. After trying a couple different types of bullets and different powder loads and seating depths, I think the problem is ME. Using sandbags for a rest. Maybe I need to try something better?? Sure is fun shooting however. Burnt up 20+ rounds on a nice quiet morning.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Old fart popping popcorn
[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Rod,

Nice gun! If I'm not mistaken, that's a DELUXE ! Only the 2nd one I've ever seen.

My buddy has one in .308 (Not a Dlx) and I have one that was originally a .22/250 that's been bored to 7mm/08 (Not a Dlx, either...)

Those old Tikkas had an action that would rival a Krag for smoothness. smile

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my opinion, one of the best kept secrets in the gun world - nice chambering too.

*Bofors anyone?*

rod44 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Little story on that rifle. Early on the finish had many cracks in it. I never bothered doing anything about it.

We were burglerized and several of my rifles and shotguns were stolen. A month or so later they caught the guy. He had sold the guns to a gunshop. Cops went to the gun shop and recovered all the guns including those the guy sold. The gun dealer was going to refinish the stock and had striped the finish. All I had to do was finish it. The gun dealer was pissed but that is what happens when you buy stolen property.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh man, it's soooooo seldom that stolen guns wind up back in the hands they belong in - the OWNER'S. Really glad this story had a happy ending.

The gun dealer was pissed

And a bit wiser (I hope).

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by rod44
Little story on that rifle. Early on the finish had many cracks in it. I never bothered doing anything about it.

We were burglerized and several of my rifles and shotguns were stolen. A month or so later they caught the guy. He had sold the guns to a gunshop. Cops went to the gun shop and recovered all the guns including those the guy sold. The gun dealer was going to refinish the stock and had striped the finish. All I had to do was finish it. The gun dealer was pissed but that is what happens when you buy stolen property.

Interesting story! smile My hunting partner was burgularized and they got a couple dozen guns. He only go one back... A S&W M-38 Bodyguard that they caught some miscreant with in Detroit. They also caught a Mexican Nat'l trying to cross the border in Juarez with his S&W Mod 59 in stuck in his belt and under his shirt... But he never got that one back... The sheriff called him and said he'd send it back, but he never got it. frown

Sad that kind of thing happens, but I'm glad you got yours back... smile

I have a lead on another in .308... But haven't been able to track it down yet... smile Like the previous poster said: "One of the best kept secrets..." grin

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

rod44 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
There was one for sale on the Cabelas website

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Rod,
I also had my house burglerized when I was living in Florida back the eighties and about a dozen guns were stolen including a super nice LSA-55 in 30-06. I got a couple of them back about two years later after I had moved back home to Pa. One was confiscated in a drug raid and the other one the police stopped a couple of suspicious looking guys in a field and ran a check on the serial # of the gun they were carrying. It sure pays to keep a record of your guns serial # and pictures. The guns were worth way more than my homeowners policy covered and you know what, the NRA did come through with that small amount of gun insurance you get with a membership.I became a Life member after that.I learned some hard lessons from an experience that I thought could never happen to me. But back to the LSA, it never did make it back home but as I recall the Ithaca rifles were manufactured by Husqvarna and mine had an action as smooth as butter. I did find a Smith and Wesson full stock Model E made by Husqvarna in 30-06 a few years ago and still have it. I am pretty sure this rifle was the same as the LSA line of Ithacas but was imported by S&W. They are great rifles, enjoy yours and keep it safe
Bob

"Individual liberty depends on keeping government under control" Ronald Reagan

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have had an Ithaca LSA65 since 1976 or 77 in 30-06. It is NOT the deluxe. That rifle has shot everything from grouse to moose and bear. It has slung bullets from 125 grains to 220 grains, but it thrives on 165s. My wife claimed it, and I shortened the stock and put on a good Pacmayr pad for her, and now it shoots 150 TSX's pushed by a low charge of H4895. Killed her a deer and a bull moose with it. I bought its twin brother a Tikka M65 in 30-06 a few years ago. Nothing to look at really, but it shoots lights out.

Yours looks real purty.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

rod44 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Cool gun. I lusted over those Ithaca rifles quite a bit as a youngster. I had and still have the Ithaca catalog from 1973, all worn out and some tears in it.

It even had prices in it!

rod44 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
How much was one like mine?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
How much was one like mine?

Well, I found my 1973 and a 1974 catalog that I forgot I had.

In 1973, the LSA 55 Deluxe was $209.95 In 1974 prices went up, $244.95 would get you one.

They were offered in 222, 22-250, 6mm Remington, 243 Winchester and 308 Winchester.

The catalogs are very cool as prices are unreal!! (compared to now of course)

How about a Super Deluxe Deerslayer for $179.95, Mag 10 for $424.95, No SKB cost more than $499.95!!

Any more price quotes?

rod44 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I also bought an Ithaca 12 over and under at that time. Still have the bill someplace. Think it was $184.00

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Here is my LSA 55 .22-250 bought used in 1984:

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

rod44 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Nice! Been working with H380 with mine too. Can get two to touch but can't seem to get all three. They sure are a nice gun. Wonder why they quit making them?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
They sure are a nice gun. Wonder why they quit making them?

Rod,

At this late date, I can only speculate. But I don't think Ithaca did a really good job of marketing them. Most always when a product disappears from the market, it's usually for lack of sales...

On the other hand, I believe they are still being made in Europe. There was a company in Ca called Alex Imports that were importing a rifle called the Rover 870 I only saw one in .270 Win. But it looked exactly like the LSA-65 . Also, I once owned a Sabatti rilfe in 6mm ppc that looked to be a clone of the LSA-55. I shot it a bit, but it wasn't as accurate as my Ruger #1 in 6mm PPC, so it went down the road...

Based on these two examples, I would presume that Sabatti had purchased the rights (and/or design and tooling) for the rifle from Tikka.

Speaking of the LSA-65 (Long action version...) I just this week ran across a used one on the rack at a gun shop that I frequent. It was in .270 Win, I believe. If anyone wants it, PM me and I'll pass on the contact info...

GH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,934 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,846
Posts18,478,321
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.