Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#7160107 12/08/12
C
OP Offline
C
Planning a trip to South Dakota (or somewhere) next year to hunt those little guys. Never been before and would like to know a good guide to call or do I need a guide (public ground). Should I take my own bench or walk around to hunt them? Like I said never been so I would like to get some input on what to take,how much ammo for a 4 day hunt. What should I pay to go if I get a guide? Really an think you guys think of would be nice to know. Thank you.

Last edited by clayhustler; 12/08/12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sage rats are what most people know as Belding Ground Squirrels. These little ground squirrels are found mostly in Nevada, Oregon, Southern ID, and a few other states where the Great Basin country extends. Irrigated fields make great sage rat homes.

Prairie dogs are found in South Dakota and typically live in the grasslands in colonies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one is after our Beldings ground squrrels here in eastern Oregon, there are some guides available (surf up ground squirrels and Crane, Oregon). One would get more and better shooting though on his own, and a polite introduction and request from most alfalfa growers will result in a positive response.

For 5 or 6 hours of shooting, I load my 22LR in single shot mode and go through a little over a brick a day. In a good season, I will do 7 to 10,000 rounds, and simply can't afford to go the center fire route. If one can demonstrate proficiency, there are some land owners that will offer up ammo.

My most efficent approach is sit in a low-boy lawn chair with a bipod in front. Stay put until everything in reach is cleared out. Moving and walking around will put those within 22 LR range down for about 5 minutes. Many shoot from their rigs, but wet soils might limit ones access to field perimenters. I also dope the wind much better if I'm out in the elements where I can sense direction and velocity. Do bring some winter clothes, as we don't really have spring weather until about mid-June.

Rimfire action does not seem to bother them outside of 10 yards or so. Season is March, April, and into mid May when herbage gets too tall to see them. Foul and windy weather can put them down for days at a time though.

Equip with as much scope power as possible, as low end stuff pretty much covers a squirrel out past 70 or 80 yards. When youngsters emerge, they are literally about the size of a house mouse.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 12/08/12.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
clayhustler,

I have a friend who loves to kill things and keep track of rounds fired and kills. One day right after a harvest the field was alive with squeaks. He shot his .22 semiauto pistol until he could not hold up his arms. Then he killed them again with his 10/22 till he couldn't hold up his arms. He switched to a target .22 and shot till he was ready to go home. He figured 750 was a good number to stop at. On the way out of the field he shot three more for an eight hour total of 753. He fired 837 long rifle rounds.

Sometimes the little buggers will feed on the one you just killed. The most I killed with one shot was three. But I cheated with my .454.

Does that sound like something you would enjoy for a day?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've gone thru 500 plus rounds of 223 shooting single shot at them in a 5 to 6 hour period...

with a 10/22, and with a Model/94...either one of those, I have gone thru 1000-1100 rounds of bullets in an afternoon....

and that is keeping shots to within 75 to 100 yds with the 22 LRs..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a thread from when Seafire and i went this spring.

Ground Squirrel Killin

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
C
OP Offline
C
I stand wrong. I will be shooting prairie dogs. South Dakota, Wyoming, Kansas, Dont know yet. Would like to get the input from you guys. Do I hunt em on public ground or get a guide?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (300_savage, 35, BallisticBRYAN, Akhutr, 338reddog, 9 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,881
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.