Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, all I know is that the American educational system is failing many more students then it did not so long ago, and lots of them are the smartest kids.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RickyD
Of course educating the way Finland (and Canada) does it takes a lot of money.

You didn't read the article, did you?
Finland spends around 30 percent less per student than the United States.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/finland-education-school-2011-12?op=1#ixzz2EzpmuJpN

Money is not the issue of our education crisis. Liberal agendas and ghetto mentalities are the issue.

He's a teacher, educated by the government. What did you expect, competence and reading ability?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somebody say the obvious. Come on!

Finns are from the Nordic Race.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Well, all I know is that the American educational system is failing many more students then it did not so long ago, and lots of them are the smartest kids.

thats the government schools, that we pay so damn much money for. Union run schools, for the most part, and set up to benefit union members, not students.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You didn't read the article, did you?
Finland spends around 30 percent less per student than the United States.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/finland-education-school-2011-12?op=1#ixzz2EzpmuJpN

Money is not the issue of our education crisis. Liberal agendas and ghetto mentalities are the issue.

Classic narcissistic ass hat syndrome.... It truely bothers me Canada lets this bozo even near children.....

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Teaching shouldn't be to the lowest common denominator.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
like the convoy system in WW I, where the speed of the convoy was set to the slowest ship.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Somebody say the obvious. Come on!

Finns are from the Nordic Race.

Let's add the next factor: in American education, our schools are required to educate every kid, even those who want no part of it and make no effort. Our schools are forced to teach to the lowest common denominator least they'll be charged with racism.

Try to enforce standards for performance, many of the urban schools fall short and its racism at work, so they claim.

Funny how my kids are well educated in Fulton County Schools. Our area has the highest test scores and place kids in the best Universities nationwide. The urban parts of the county fill UGA mostly through quotas, not merit. Same County curiculum, different students.

Then there is that whole "�No habla English!" BS.......

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Student performance is directly correlated with parental performance.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
are the teachers in finland union?????...and if they get in trouble do they still pay them to sit in a room like the bad teachers in new york do?

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

You didn't read the article, did you?[quote]Finland spends around 30 percent less per student than the United States.

Quote: "However, high school teachers [in Finland] with 15 years of experience make 102 percent of what other college graduates make."

Compared to 62% - in the USA.

Perhaps it's you who didn't read the article.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Canada is right behind Finland in the rankings.

Teachers (if a society values them) have to paid well enough that really qualified people will be lining up to compete for high paying jobs.

Now...if you don't think it's worth getting really highly qualified people to teach your kids - cheap out on the schools - and the teachers working inside - and hope for a miracle.

Well if we could get rid of the teachers unions than we could afford to pay teachers what they are worth.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's the teachers unions that make the Finland education system - what they are today.

They (as the professionals) are the ones who set policy in Finland.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BCBrian
It's the teachers unions that make the Finland education system - what they are today.

They (as the professionals) are the ones who set policy in Finland.

The purpose of all our unions is to destroy American. Maybe unions are different in other parts of the world.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
1st-6th grade I went to a Catholic school. There every child went at there own pace. Kids that needed more help got it and those that didn't need as much were allowed to push ahead. In my 6th grade class we had kids duing 7th grade work.

I myself, due to family problems, didn't finish my 5th grade math book for that year. I didn't get held back or go to summer school, I just started the 5th grade book where I left off the year before. I finished it shortly after Christmas. I then started the 6th grade book and finished it before the majority of the class.

I got the help I needed when I needed it and then was allowed to do more.

When I got to public school in the 7th grade if you didn't keep up you fell behind and rarely got any extra help. If you were bored because it was too easy for you most times you stayed bored. Sometimes you were given the oppurtunity to go to an advanced class, but still had to go at the classes pace.

I feel the Catholic school had it right.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The purpose of unions is to create a middle-class life for it's workers.

I guess you haven't noticed - but your "right to work" states = are the states with the most poverty - and the fewest people in the middle class.

The middle class is vanishing in your own country.

More money in the hands of CEO's does squat for an economy.

Every dollar put in the hands of the middle class - get's spent - and people spending their money - is what keeps the economy healthy.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wasn't speaking of our system, I was referring to that article. The numbers sound like an internet urban myth. Teachers there make $29k, while here $36k. Then after 15 years, they make a whole bunch more. No standards for teacher achievement, so how does their pay increase? Just for being there more years, or is there some way to reward the good ones. Don't tell me they are all good, that goes against human nature. Not every one that starts will end a fabulous teacher.
66% go to college, but 43% go to vocational schools. See what I mean about the math? If you call vocational school college, then only 23% actually go to a genuine college like we understand it. It's fine if they do that, but don't call vo-tech the same as an engineering or medical school.
Teachers only spend only 4 hours a day in the classroom? That is not enough time to teach the kids more than they get here. If you have two teachers per class, then that doubles your cost for teachers.
If you are not testing the kids, how do you know what they have learned? Just giving them information doesn't mean they actually know anything.
I don't much doubt the culture has a great effect, as has been mentioned here, but to say their whole system is better then our best is not going to fly with me. The article is too full of positives and no negatives for me. It is not utopia. The overall average may be better, but get rid of the gov't and union garbage we have, and you will not beat it by much, if at all.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Familial and cultural breakdown (or "change") has led to a lower quality student in the classroom, primarily in the area of "classroom management."

Teachers are then required to teach the entire class to that lowest common denominator. Or system is currently not designed for excellence, but rather mediocrity at best.

Sadly, but obviously, this hurts the children at the bottom of the pile just as much as the top kids who are being held back. Wouldn't a child who clearly has no desire or aptitude for rigorous academic work be much more benefited by allowing them to pursue trades of interest, by which they will make a very good living and contribute much to our society, than to force them through the drudgery of something that they know already they will never learn or use?

It's pretty easy to see all of this by the completion of 8th grade at the latest. And trust me, it changes so little over time, all the way through college graduation, that our "higher" education system is headed very quickly down the same path. That is why a Bachelors degree is hardly worth anything anymore in the actual job market.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Say what you want about American education, but when the parents value it, the kids do well.

Here's a note from my 5th Graders school from Friday:
(scores are percentiles)

News from Our Assistant Principal

Dear Families of Summit Hill,

In late October, our 3rd and 5th graders took the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS) assessment. The test is given in many states in America, and the results can help us understand and visualize where a student ranks among other students in the country. ITBS scores are coming home today, and our 3rd and 5th grade students did very well! As a county, Fulton County did well with respect to the National Average and our Summit Hill students did very well with respect to Fulton County!

Here at Summit Hill, our fifth grade students improved in Math and Language. Our third grade students improved in every category!! The grade level as a whole scored higher than any other elementary school in Fulton County in the subject of Reading and Language. They were the second highest in Math! This is a tribute to all of our students, teachers, and parents from the Summit Hill community! Good job, Huskies!

Total
Total
Total
Social

Reading
Math
Language
Studies
Science

Grade 3

Fulton Co.

Nat. Avg.

Summit Hill

Grade 5

Fulton Co.

Nat. Avg.

Summit Hill

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I lived in Mississippi [coast] for 22yrs -Crowhunter is right.
Mix your kids in w/blacks and hispanics -and bye bye education.

My two brothers and a friend -all from a midwestern corn town couldn't believe how poorly educated the people around Biloxi, Ms. were.
They rarely had any idea about anything pertaining to math -history -gov't etc..
Just a couple of weeks ago I was talking to a friends son -not sure of the topic -but I asked him if he [19yrs old] knew the pledge of allegiance -no -star spangled banner -no- ever read anything in the constitution -no- ever read a book -no --asked his dad and another guy -neither one knew any of these things either and neither had EVER read an entire book . Totally amazed me but not really having lived in the S.E. for many years.
A friend who had went to school in n. California then Wyoming for 7-8-9th grade then to gulfpot, ms 10 11 12 -said his education stopped when he got to Ms. -said all the teachers did was try to control the blacks who constantly disrupted the class.
That's why people there get little to no education --sorry geauxlsu -I know this hurts your feeling but you know i'm a racist since I tell the truth about things..
GO Finland ! and don't let any blacks/muslims around your kids..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,129
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.