Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by J23
Here's my opinion..

First, after they pass SOME SORT of assault weapons ban [they have before, and they will again,] if not this time, eventually.. but I am going to say that this most recent tragedy involving 20 little ones is going to be the straw that broke the camels back.

Once the bill is enacted.. you will have so long to voluntarily hand them over to the nice BATFE agent seated at every county courthouse, or some such.. "and we will grant you amnesty and give you a $50 Wal-Mart gift card!!!" ..exactly what happened in Australia and the UK.

Take that what? 80 million gun owners, and lets say that one third own an assault rifle or high capacity pistol magazines for conversation sake.. though that seems a bit high.

Of those 26 million assault weapon owners, or owners with high cap mags for their pistols, subtract twenty million who will hand them in no questions asked. Take the remaining 6 million, and once the arrests for possession begin to happen, you are going to been down to tens, or at best, several hundred thousand who say 'come take them!'

...and then they will 'come take them!"

A few new prisons will open to incarcerate the remainder of media hyped, villain-ized felon assault weapon owners and, no doubt, a few errant shoot outs with police killing the newly appointed felons that refuse to comply and wah-la! No more assault weapons.

It's pretty much that simple. The Brits and Aussies caved upon realizing that their lives and their family's lives could be ruined upon discovery of an item that you can't even use anymore without drawing attention to yourself.. as will most, if not all Americans.

We are powerless.. the stroke of a pen and bye-bye high capacity magazines and assault weapons.

..another stroke, bye-bye to the Remington Model 8 pappy gave you because it's semi-automatic.

..another stroke, bye-bye to ownership without some ridiculous fee or tax on either the guns or ammunition [think Class III items now..]

..another stroke.. the REAL question is, where will it end?

Thinking it won't happen, NOT HERE! This is America! ..or "those guys don't want to be voted out of office!" ..look at the unpopular stimulus, Obamacare, all of these incredulous EPA regulations, and so on.. PUBLIC OUTRAGE!!! We are going to vote them out!!! ...for a whole week. A couple episodes of Honey Boo Boo later, your favorite team wins the Super Bowl, or some catastrophe or natural disaster strikes, and 99.9999% of people either forget, or move on while grumbling about it.

I'm not trying to be a pessimist, it's just reality. It's a matter of time, and I think our time is about up as gun owners.

Sadly, I have to agree with you. I think you summed up what will happen pretty accurately.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Diesel
I don't own any AR's or such (yet) but do own semi auto shotguns. How likely is it that the government could take someone's semi's.

Anything is possible. With that said I firmly believe the earth will be struck by an asteroid the size of the state of Texas before this .gov tries a comprehensive confiscation of any type weapon from the hands of private citizens.

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Most people do not understand that the founding fathers gave us the second amendment to guard against the government exceeding the constitutional powers they were limited to, not so we could hunt or just plink for fun. This was such a serious issue that they made it second in the list of amendments.

It appears that the first amendment is being routed by an entrenched media that refuses to objectively shed light on issues that they favor. Our schools do not teach the constitution and the value to each individual to keep it sacred.

The need to have weapons on a par with those who have grabbed/exceeded power at a government level is critical in this regard. Therfore, at a minimum, semis must be available to all citizens to guard the constitution. It is a duty of every American citizen to defend the constitution regardless of personal loss.

Our founders put everything on the line to give us the United States of America. We have not been challenged internally as a people since the Civil War when brother fought brother. The fire to be American, as in the spirit of the Founders, appears to be dimming.

Many of our kin have given up their lives in defense of this once great nation. Will their sacrafice be in vain?

So many in this land are so far removed from understanding the principles America was founded upon, that I fear there will be few who answer the call to defend freedom.

Last edited by Diesel; 12/16/12.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Most people do not understand that the founding fathers gave us the second amendment to guard against the government exceeding the constitutional powers they were limited to, not so we could hunt or just plink for fun. This was such a serious issue that they made it second in the list of amendments.
+1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
While I share your skepticism regarding the education of our children with regard to AMERICAN history, there are 300,000,000 guns in the hands of 80,000,000 private citizens. Fully 25% of our population owns one or more firearms. There are many gun organizations that seek to educate anyone who will listen about AMERICAN history and the role the 2nd Amendment plays in safe guarding us from a tyrannical government. Politicians are concerned with only one thing - getting reelected. They can count and they all remember 1994.

Oblahblah and feinswine can posture and pontificate until they turn blue in the face; we won't have an AWB near as sweeping as the one klinton got through and signed into law...if we have one at all.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't own any AR's or such (yet) but do own semi auto shotguns. How likely is it that the government could take someone's semi's.

How were semis ("assault rifles") handled under the last ban? Could you transfer ownership?

Why wouldn't they seize them?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On a deep down level I would like to see them try and seize them. They might find out what the 2A was about to begin with then.

Otto is my co-pilot.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Laguna

How were semis ("assault rifles") handled under the last ban? Could you transfer ownership?

First and foremost the threat of violence from the people they were trying to seize them from, and two, they are most concerned with getting reelected.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Me

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by Laguna

First and foremost the threat of violence from the people they were trying to seize them from, and two, they are most concerned with getting reelected.

Where was the violence from the people after Clinton's "assault" weapons ban? Other gun control laws?

Politicians weren't all that concerned in Nov about reelection. In fact, those who threaten the Second Amendment did pretty darn well, which is foreboding for the too few of us who cherish liberty.

With as close to 100% certainty as I can be, if semiautos are tomorrow decreed illegal and must be surrendered, nearly 100% of those who own them will surrender them. How many would risk a minimum of ten years in federal prison or die trying to keep them only to have them confiscated while they're being embalmed?

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by NathanL
On a deep down level I would like to see them try and seize them. They might find out what the 2A was about to begin with then.

Better yet is to think of ways they can be seized, and I can think of plenty.

In the end, there will be a few who will die trying to keep their guns, but most will comply.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Good grief you guys. The hyperbolic drama here borders on silly'

There will be no gun confiscations nor any EOs. As I said earlier, there may be some attempt to add something clever inside the fiscal cliff bill as a rider but it dies in the House.

It's all feel good political talk based on the heat and trauma of the moment but once folks settle down and grab back their hold on reality, it will likely play out with some vanilla feel good legislation having minimal impact, if not enjoined by the fed courts or the Sup Ct.

To think a gun control EO is at the dawn is just silly.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by RISJR
Good grief you guys. The hyperbolic drama here borders on silly'

There will be no gun confiscations nor any EOs. As I said earlier, there may be some attempt to add something clever inside the fiscal cliff bill as a rider but it dies in the House.

It's all feel good political talk based on the heat and trauma of the moment but once folks settle down and grab back their hold on reality, it will likely play out with some vanilla feel good legislation having minimal impact, if not enjoined by the fed courts or the Sup Ct.

What would you suppose is the objective of incremental gun control laws, especially considering they've had the opposite effect their intended purpose?

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Why'd you change your handle,chicken schit?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

What's an "EO"?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Executive Order.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ahh...thank you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could almost envision so-called "assault weapons" and other heinous "weapons" du jour pushed over to the purview of NFA/Title II weapons. Not quite banned, but transfer and interstate transport would be heavily restricted.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Why'd you change your handle,chicken schit?

Why haven't you answered my question?

Try to accentuate the positive...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ask Australia if it can happen................

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (222Sako, 22250rem, 270cowboy, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,846 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,797
Posts18,536,541
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.