Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by DaddyRat
Seen 2 people intentionally shot with 00 buck. One was about 90 yards away on foot, the other was through a windshield. Neither died but both were stopped. One deer about 50 yards, it went down like it was hit with a hammer but required finishing shots. Never seen anything shot with #4 buck. Just my .02

a 90 yard shot at anything with 00 buck is always a bad idea.

Right, that's why they invented ghost-ring shotgun sights, Remington low-recoil slugs, side-saddles, and select-slug drills. You give me an 870 so equipped and about 2 seconds and you'll be [bleep].

What are you shooting buckshot or slugs? Buckshot at 90 is praying.

GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
DD, do you know if the police ever pattern their shotguns with different loads?

I wonder what choke they use, also.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pattern professionally? I doubt it, but we qualify with it all the time. Most "police" guns are cylinder bore.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by T LEE
I like #2 myself but that is me.

I'm sora like Terry. My own preference is toward 0 buck, rather than 00 as I get three more pellets and I don't give up anything in penetration.

Now, if I were having to pick between #4 and OO buck, I'd opt for 00.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by eyeball
DD, do you know if the police ever pattern their shotguns with different loads?

I wonder what choke they use, also.

Yep. They get patterned quite often. We ended up going with Federal 00 "Tactical" loads for our 870's.

They are loaded with "flitecontrol" wads that pretty much land 9 pellets in 2" at 15 yards or so.

This from cylinder bore shotguns, and from a few Improved Cylinder.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dunno I'd disagree with ET on planning analysis. Probably because social debate is a variable thing I don't personally depend on a single menu item. Simply put, if I want to shoot thru walls I will. I concluded long ago that multiple choice tests were more enjoyable than essays, so enter into social discourse with an open mind I say.

It was suggested above that only experience with shooting people is relevant to the debate and I'm not going to sign off on the idea any more than the US Government does or has in the past. Ballistic tests are all well and good, but experience works pretty well for me. What my experience says is that at reasonably close range buckshot is a quicker killer than rifle or pistol bullets on game animals. I define close range as 30 yards or less. Smaller diameter buck is more effective than large, across the board, my reasons for saying this already enumerated. Having said this, I readily admit the perspective is counter to beliefs I held in younger days.

The number and species of game animals I've taken in my life is substantial. So far as the applied style of weapon, it would be about 50/50 for rifles and shotguns with a smattering of pistol kills thrown into the mix. Rifles win at longer range certainly but short of explosives, nothing trumps a shotgun at close range IMO.

Lastly, I've seen about as many people go down as critters and jerked to trigger on more than a few, this with M16s, M60s etc. Comparatively speaking, people are a whole bunch easier to stop than critters.

End of my contribution to this debate, carry on.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Inside the typical room I would think the concussion from a 12 gauge would be enough to disable both the shooter and the shootee! laugh

Jim

I've done a little shooting with a 12 gauge inside a room. I saw muzzle flashes but due to auditory exclusion, did not hear the shots.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The often overlooked BB Shot..

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That would be a select SLUG drill, I said NOTHING about buckshot at 90yd. My cyl bore 870 will put three Rem low recoil slugs into eight inches at 100yd.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thanks CT. I know that years ago we found that some shotguns also didn't shoot to point of aim.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We used to pattern our duty shotguns quarterly along with qualifying with them and our side arms and rifles.

00 Buck is my preference based on seeing bad guys shot with it and going to shooting/homicide scenes.

Ghost Ring sights, side-saddles, 2 3/4" Brenneke slugs, and a Vang Comp'ed barrel is the ticket.
9" patterns of Federal Premuim 00 Buck (2 3/4") @ 25yds, were the norm. Other guys' shotguns preferred Remington ammo. I could keep 8 of the 9 pellets on a Brussels target @ 50 yds if I really paid attention to the sights. 2 1/2" groups @ 100yds with the Brenneke slugs were also the norm.

There's not much you can't kill with a shotgun.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
That would be a select SLUG drill, I said NOTHING about buckshot at 90yd. My cyl bore 870 will put three Rem low recoil slugs into eight inches at 100yd.

Here is your response to my post of 00 at 90 yards a bad idea

Right, that's why they invented ghost-ring shotgun sights, Remington low-recoil slugs, side-saddles, and select-slug drills. You give me an 870 so equipped and about 2 seconds and you'll be

Slugs yes 00 no at 90 yards

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Double dog anyone to stand in front of someone at 90 yards throwing 00 buck.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'll TRIPLE-Dog dare 'em! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Double dog anyone to stand in front of someone at 90 yards throwing 00 buck.
g

Can you guarantee hitting a person at 90 yards with 00 buck on a consistent basis vs a rifle slug ?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm surprised steel shot hasn't been mentioned yet.

I think steel is only required if the bad guys are migratory. Then there is that thing about a 3 shot plug too.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by stray round
I'm surprised steel shot hasn't been mentioned yet.

I think steel is only required if the bad guys are migratory. Then there is that thing about a 3 shot plug too.

LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
" 2 1/2" groups @ 100yds with the Brenneke slugs were also the norm."

You might consider bringing that to our next PD hunt.......... leave that ugly black thing at the house. grin grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just for the discussion, seen two bad guys take #4 Buck and still want to play. 00 for close to mid range and slugs on out would be my choice.

YMMV

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Ghost Ring sights, side-saddles, 2 3/4" Brenneke slugs, and a Vang Comp'ed barrel is the ticket.
9" patterns of Federal Premuim 00 Buck (2 3/4") @ 25yds, were the norm. Other guys' shotguns preferred Remington ammo. I could keep 8 of the 9 pellets on a Brussels target @ 50 yds .....2 1/2" groups @ 100yds with the Brenneke slugs were also the norm.

The Vang back boring & lengthening the forcing cone are primarily for buck/pellet pattern improvements, right?

Did/does the Vang comp impact slug accuracy as well?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 45 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,334
Posts18,526,750
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.