Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by curdog4570
" 2 1/2" groups @ 100yds with the Brenneke slugs were also the norm."

You might consider bringing that to our next PD hunt.......... leave that ugly black thing at the house. grin grin

Ed, i was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy from the Brenneke KO slugs in my smooth-bore A-5 Browning barrel, and it chronoed at near 1600 fps, a 1 ounce slug with that kind of speed and accuracy would be perfect for a 24HCF Boar hunt. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Forget the vang and get one of these for your 870..

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/92...oke-with-tritium-rifle-sights-parkerized

Nice..I have an 870 18.5 ic barrel and the above option is a whole lot better . Wish they came from the factory with that barrel

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
Stray round, you bring up an interesting point. Because I live in California most of the bad guys are migratory, maybe I'd better get some steel shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Nice..I have an 870 18.5 ic barrel and the above option is a whole lot better . Wish they came from the factory with that barrel

Buy it, and ebay the IC barrel. The mod barrel is the cats ass.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Enjoyed the imput on this thread ,points a guy in the right directions without spending a lot a cash trying ever damn load out there. I allways keep the 20 ga Express loaded with the #3 buck 20 pellet load cause that's all there was for the 20. One day a buddy came out with his new Saiga 12 and Fed Premiun 12ga 00 buck loads to try for patterns on my railroad tie backstop. His non choked effective patterns stopped at 25yds penetration was mostly < 1/2" and some bounced back but cresote soaked rr ties are pretty tough. I am not afraid of being assaulted by rr ties it was just what my backstop is for reference. I thought about that for a couple of weeks and then went spring goose hunting out east,I hit a con store for gas in Watertown SD. They also sold all sorts of shells and some older 2 3/4" Fed steel was being dumped by the flat real cheap. 2 3/4" Fed T shot for $65 a flat so I got him a couple of flats for his Saiga , uh I mean goose gun. For inside the house use, I can't imagine that load being ineffective. But back to the 20 load, a while back a guy I know gave me a large amt of .530 muzzleloader balls he had incorrectly cast with lead containing tin and antimony which made them hard enough to not be able to get them down the barrel of his 54. So they been a sitting around waitng for me to recycle into .358 bullets or something else. 2 of them fit perfectly in the shot cup of a 1 oz Rem power piston wad and weigh just under an 1 oz. 40 grs of grex spread thru bottom layer ,between the bottom ball and top one and a little over the top. They crimp nice . I used a powder charge for a 1 oz load. At slightly over 1200 fps the gave me a 2" pair of holes at 20 yds .53 caliber. 5 shots thru the gun in 4 seconds,I can keep all 10 53 calibur balls on a paper plate at 35 yds with ease. penetration on the same rr ties is 4-5". Not telling anyone else what to use, I have my own answers that look too me will work. Magnum Man

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah...but you're a shotgun nut. You said "grex". smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gunner500
Ed, i was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy from the Brenneke KO slugs in my smooth-bore A-5 Browning barrel, and it chronoed at near 1600 fps, a 1 ounce slug with that kind of speed and accuracy would be perfect for a 24HCF Boar hunt. ...

I use the KO's in my mossberg for deer. Doesnt get much use anymore, but it shoots nice out of smooth and rifled barrel. Not as accurate as the RemCopper Solids, but the KO's are MUCH cheaper and go on sale frequently, hit like a sledgehammer, and are easily Minute-of-deer at normal ranges.

There's also a KO Sabot. Substantially less recoil. I dont recall the stated velocity or mass of the slug, but the slug looks like a smaller version of the full bore brenneke. It was a really nice shooter in the rifled barrl, not so much in the smooth bore. As I recall the POI was much different from all of the other slugs (much higher).

I dont use slugs much anymore so I stopped messing around with them.

Sorry for the derail.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yeah Lt. but I spoke in common terms so everone could understand and did not use any "gack" to make my points(2 at every pull of the trigger). Wishing you and yours a great Holiday season. Magnum Man

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds cool to me! I'd like to shoot a hog with one. Merry Christmas!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Anyone try Federals 20 gauge no.4 buck load? Copper plated @1100 fps. I haven't tried it yet but bought ten boxes to try.

I would still like to see the patterns from 60,80 and 90 yards.

Dink

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
" 2 1/2" groups @ 100yds with the Brenneke slugs were also the norm."

You might consider bringing that to our next PD hunt.......... leave that ugly black thing at the house. grin grin

Unfortunately (for me), I bequeathed my 870 to a rookie when I retired. I haven't had another one built yet.

BTW, that was with a 14" barrel, not a 18" barrel!

So, "Old Ugly Black Thing" will still have to travel until I gather the shekels to have Mickey build a proper .223AI on my Model 7. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

The Vang back boring & lengthening the forcing cone are primarily for buck/pellet pattern improvements, right?
Did/does the Vang comp impact slug accuracy as well?
Thanks

True, the primary goal was to tighten the pattern of buckshot to improve the hit ratio and cut down the probability of an errant pellet striking something we didn't want to hit.

The pleasant side-effect of Hans Vang's improvements is greater slug accuracy.

I helped pattern all of the Department's 870's when they switched over to Vang barrels as well as sight them in at 100yds with Brenneke slugs. We learned a lot about different buckshot and slugs while doing this.

The general rule was that 2 3/4" buckshot loads spread less than 3" loads, and 2 3/4" slug loads were vastly more accurate at 100yds through all shotguns we tested.

Most shotguns we tested (870's & Mossberg 500's) preferred either Federal Premium 00 Buck or Remington reduced recoil (aka "Tactical Load") 8 pellet 00 Buck.

Brenneke 2 3/4" slugs were roughly 50% more accurate than anyone's 3" slug loads, and none of the Forster slugs could match the Brennekes @ 100yds out of a smooth-bore.

Two of us, Ted Smith and myself, shot over 2,000 rounds of buckshot and over 500 rounds of slugs in a week of testing and patterning shotguns.

Once we had done the initial patterning and grouping, the shotguns were issued to the officers and THEY then had to pattern it and make final sight adjustments as part of their qualifications before they could carry it.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

If you got a good one of those, hang onto it. After measuring hundreds of Remington slug barrels I have come to the conclusion that they use Wingmaster seconds for the slug barrels. The inside dimensions are all over the place with more than a few being bored off-center.

I'll stick to my Vang, thank you. I KNOW it's a good barrel right out of the box.

Ed

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by DINK
Anyone try Federals 20 gauge no.4 buck load? Copper plated @1100 fps. I haven't tried it yet but bought ten boxes to try.

I would still like to see the patterns from 60,80 and 90 yards.

Dink

Didn't know they made such a creature. I keep a little 20 ga. SxS laying around here with 19 inch barrels. Used to be my CAS shotgun, but with #3 BUCK, I figured it would do to help repel boarders.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

If you got a good one of those, hang onto it. After measuring hundreds of Remington slug barrels I have come to the conclusion that they use Wingmaster seconds for the slug barrels. The inside dimensions are all over the place with more than a few being bored off-center.

Ed

That figures. What a bunch of corksuckers.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 12/24/12. Reason: spellin'
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
#4 without hesitation.

All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void. � Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (2 Cranch) 137 (1803)
NRA LIfe Member
GOA
SAF
CCRKBA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep buck and ball in my home shotgun. One .650 ball and 6 #1 buckshot.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Peter H. Capstick wrote a series of articles in the late 70's and early 80's about how much more effective No. 1 Buck was for thin skinned dangerous game than was 00 Buck. Capstick came to prefer No. 1 Buck for following up the big cats in the thick stuff. That seems to be the current trend in full out shotshell defensive loads with several new LE/defensive loads being promised from the various manufacturers. Mathematically No. 1 Buck makes good sense and seems to be worthy of a good trial on the pattern boards.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hell, just make your own, load an oz 20 gauge with 3 36 cal round balls, that should do the job.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (257Bob, 21, 160user, 260madman, 270wsmnutt, 257 roberts, 51 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,313
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.