Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#7229974 12/26/12
A
agazain Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
First sling stud attached short bipod...

... what diference ought I to see in impact point (shifting/whatever)?

Thanx

Barry (who say them used on Rifles Only Inc. DVD)

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Harris have never changed the POI on any of my rifles.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
nor mine

Randy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My POI usually rises by about 1-1.5MOA when using various types of bipods on various rifles.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
My POI usually rises by about 1-1.5MOA when using various types of bipods on various rifles.

This the case across the board? Just wondering because you shoot the LW Kimber.... and a couple of A5s. I could see that with the Kimber.... but not with the A5 chunks.

I don't notice a difference in POI... but I don't shoot uber-light rifles.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That is what happens with one of my rifles. 3-4" difference at 400 yards, I thought my POI got lower? Can't remember....grin

Floated and bedded lug and they should be good to go, yes?

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/26/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, that's the case across the board, though surface hardness plays a large role. If I'm on a super soft surface, like long prairie grass, then I don't notice much difference. But if it's hard, frozen ground, or anything harder than pillows, then I tend to see the 1-1.5MOA upward shift from my sand bag zero.

All my bolt rifles are bedded and floated.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I see absolutely no zero [bleep] when using my Harris, regardless of surface.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We shoot some stages in our Precision Rifle match where you must remove your bipod and use your pack or some other means of front end support for the rifle.

It's done for the exact reason that most rifles have a different POI.

Mine does and I'm sure yours will. You must know the difference and allow for it if you decide/have to shoot in that position.

It's all part of this intricate thing we do with rifles

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
We shoot some stages in our Precision Rifle match where you must remove your bipod and use your pack or some other means of front end support for the rifle.

Mine does and I'm sure yours will. You must know the difference and allow for it if you decide/have to shoot in that position.

I think it's simply dependent on the rifle. It's not something that can be argued in my opinion. It either has an effect on your rifle or it doesn't.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I do have one rifle that doesn't change between sandbags and bipod, and another that only shifts up by 0.75MOA, but most rise by 1-1.5MOA when I go to the bipod. I certainly agree that each rifle responds a little differently.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan, do you think there's a bit of a difference in the way you drive the rifles when they're on bags or bipods, and this is where the change comes from?

I'm going to check my rifles tomorrow and see if I've got any POI shifts.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Difference? From what, offhand?

Bipod is the baseline for me, don't mean to be sarcastic.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The only difference I've noticed is that with some surfaces the bi-pod will hop going into recoil and you will not see the absolute accuracy potential that a front rest and bags will give. That being said most of my rifles do the best with a short bipod and a sandbag under the toe of the stock, and if the stock is doing it's job there won't be a shift in impact.

Golden............
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

+ 1
I have some rifle that will shoot the same from the bench and the pod as long as I do my part.
To add to this CONSISTENCY is key if your gun likes the pod loaded then load it some of mine like it some dont. Ive seen guys have problems with hard surface, torquing the pod and not locking the legs into a nothch (shooting off a pod with the legs in and resting on the springs) A good rear bag is important also dwell time off a pod can show its ugly head. All depends on what degree of accuracy you are looking for.

"Fast is fine accurate is final"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I usually use a front rest and rear bag when testing loads. Then I use a bipod (sometimes not always) at distance. I've never seen a change in POI.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I usually use a front rest and rear bag when testing loads. Then I use a bipod (sometimes not always) at distance.

Same.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner
Jordan, do you think there's a bit of a difference in the way you drive the rifles when they're on bags or bipods, and this is where the change comes from?

I'm going to check my rifles tomorrow and see if I've got any POI shifts.

It's possible. I mean the shooting position is certainly different when going from sand bags to a bipod, so who knows. I honestly think it has to do with the vibration on the legs and stock kicking the rifle up a bit more than when the rifle slides straight back on the sand bags.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my short experience, I've come to the conclusion that I shoot best prone, so all of my load work comes off the ground or out of the bed of my truck using a bipod and rear bag.

My folly, I'm realizing, is that I don't hunt with a bipod and I have never really taken the time to check for POI shifts like Jordan is reporting on. Maybe I just need to start hunting with a lightweight BP...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't notice POI shifts off the short bipod compared to sandbag zeros. But, the rifle is more accurate off the bags.

I also tend to use a little larger rear bag and load up on the bipod when possible. When the ground is a little more firm, I typically shoot with my left hand riding on the scope rather than running support for the rear bag. By applying that downward pressure to the glass, I can effectively combat that dreaded 'bipod bounce'... and spot shots much better.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,881
Posts18,518,198
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.