Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by postoak
The 700s had that AD problem but with the new trigger that is fixed, so they're all good.

False on both counts.....

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
GB1

E
E
Postoak:

I know many rifles have 22 barrels, just have never had a caliber 30 Rifle with less than a 24". Just went and looked at some KDF Blaser's and a K15 - wow!

Good luck with your hunt. May the cool weather move a big boy you way!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by postoak
Eremicus - haven't ALL these designs shown themselves to be reliable? The 700s had that AD problem but with the new trigger that is fixed, so they're all good. I prefer the tang safety of the Brownings, myself but they're all okay.

Edjk - I am hunting the final days of the season not too far from you. Pipe Creek, to be exact. Lots of rifles come with 22" barrels, not just Brownings.

Right...there is this bridge in Sydney that I can sell to you...!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of good rifles out there. Jap made Brownings just ain't one of them. I can see they appeal to young kids with monster trucks. Serious shooters and hunters should buy something serious.

That's just a silly statement! I guess you have to drive a Chevrolet or Ford to be a serious hunter also? Both of my A-Bolt II's are the ONLY rifles I own that didn't need to be messed with. Both shoot sub-MOA with many hand loads including several factory loads. Barrels don't walk when hot and go BANG everytime.

Thank God for Mississippi!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Lots of good rifles out there. Jap made Brownings just ain't one of them. I can see they appeal to young kids with monster trucks. Serious shooters and hunters should buy something serious.

Originally Posted by 7mmaniac
That's just a silly statement! I guess you have to drive a Chevrolet or Ford to be a serious hunter also? Both of my A-Bolt II's are the ONLY rifles I own that didn't need to be messed with. Both shoot sub-MOA with many hand loads including several factory loads. Barrels don't walk when hot and go BANG everytime.

What do you expect from a feeble mind!!!

IC B2

E
E
[was] ..Getting hot in here ... were one to place a market value on a Browning A-Bolt II .30-06 Hunter 22" matte blue wood unfired nib what would it be? Curious what kind of response that elicits. I am guessing 0.00 - 525.00 and I drive a f150. hehe.

Last edited by Edjk; 01/03/13.
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Are you familiar with gunbroker.com? Although it is an auction site, a lot of dealers use it too, so you can see what they want for them. Or you can pick up a good deal on a used one.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Well we do know the preferrred choice of the golf cart driving ass shooters.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JDK

TFF !!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JDK

Do tell....what brand of cart do you drive and what size Browning sticker does it have on it?

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Edjk
[was] ..Getting hot in here ... were one to place a market value on a Browning A-Bolt II .30-06 Hunter 22" matte blue wood unfired nib what would it be? Curious what kind of response that elicits. I am guessing 0.00 - 525.00 and I drive a f150. hehe.

Some 16 years old monster truck driver or their girlfriend might get their Daddy to buy it for them. I wouldn't own one if it were a gift.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by JDK

Do tell....what brand of cart do you drive and what size Browning sticker does it have on it?

You don't know???

Look in your driveway..........that's where it was parked last !!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Edjk

I'm guessing closer to the $0.00 figure but I may be wrong. If you had to pay someone to take it, however, you'd be looking at the -$0.00 figure... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
E
This is about the funniest "online experience" I have ever...experienced...certainly with regard to hobbies that go bang. I do appreciate the effort put forth at the expense of others. Markedly Outstanding and overtly precise in its target wise nature. I do not have a horse in the race at this juncture and that makes it that much more amusing. Guess its not a party till someone gets hurt ... physically or otherwise.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I do not care for the X Bolt at all, but its not for any lack of quality issues. They are very, very nice guns, they just dont appeal to me. I am a huge 700 slut, but there really isnt anything in the current lineup that does anything for me, either. On that front, I will keep my early 70s vintage ADL, and my 308, which is OEM 700 in only the action. Savages just seem cheap to me, even though I know they shoot quite well.

If I had to buy a new boltgun, I would have to sit and think real hard, deciding between a Ruger Hawkeye/77, Vanguard, or CZ. If Howa would build something with some decent wood, or a quality synthetic, I would be all over it. Luckily, there are enough used, older bolt guns on the rack that I dont have that dilemma.

Last edited by liliysdad; 01/03/13.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a CZ-550 Premium, and it's a damn fine rifle. Of course it's also a .270... whistle

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They're all crap!
Buy a Cooper and have it all, looks, fit, finish, accuracy, great trigger. Not cheap, but you will have a well done classic american style rifle that will serve well for a lifetime.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't own a cart or any stickers for that matter. I choose to drive a Tundra, don't have to work on it either. I'll take all the free Browning's you can round up. Funny thing, I never see them selling that cheap. I own half a dozen 700's, it's my favorite action. That being said, it's not the only show in town. Only a true azz hole would argue such a point.

Thank God for Mississippi!
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Today's bolt actions are reliable if not alot is asked of them. But I've noticed that hunting sometimes does that. Ammo loaded on the hot side can too.
In the 50 yrs. I've been handloading, I've seen lots locked bolts from hot loads. I've never done one myself. But, when you blow a primer completely out of a case, that does it with your average bolt gun fitted with plunger ejectors and hook style extractors.
That I have done, twice. Both times I was able to open the bolt and eject the case. Thanks to the mauser 98 style extractor, and other design features.
I've had hot loads shave off brass and eventually plug a plunger style ejector. Not going to happen with a fixed blade ejector.
I've had crude get into Remington triggers, probably from the safety lever slot above the enclosed trigger. You'll either get a heavy, erratic trigger break or even an AD. Never happend with an M70 safety and an open trigger design. Had the bolt stop lock open as well. Weatherbys were famous for this problem at one time. Never happen with a 98 mauser of a Ruger.
Ever look at a mauser 98 firing pin ? Lots of travel. Goes bang when others don't either. In spite of their long lock time, they shoot just fine.
To each his own, of course. I like pretty wood and nice finishes too. I bought my 7-08 Custom Sako due to it's beautiful wood and it's fit and finish, not because I needed another rifle or needed a 7-08. But the rest of my serious rifles have high quality synthetic stocks, and most wear fixed magnification Leupold scopes.
What I really need is a very reliable rifle that will perform under tough conditions if I get faced with them. Which, sometimes, I do. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forget to wear safety glasses, and have a case blow, with the "reliable" 98 and you could loose an eye.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (10Glocks, Akhutr, 35, 300_savage, 14idaho, 8 invisible), 960 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,411
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.