Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A few years back, while counting birds in a place where hunting is verboten, I ran into this big frigging feral hog, said boar taking a good few minutes twenty five yards out deciding whether to cede the trail, despite me yelling and waving my arms eek Then I had to walk by where it was in thick brush maybe 20 yards out puffing and snorting.

[Linked Image]

All I had at the time was my then usual 3" .357 Mod 60 j-frame revolver loaded with 180 grain Fed Castcores. Much better than a pointy stick to be sure, but suffice to say that same week I picked up a 10mm Glock 29.

I don't reload, and 10mm ammo is usually scarce and pricey, plus every load I bought since purchase never felt all that hot in the hand, like I was shooting at best a .40 plusP equivalent.

Then at Cabelas the other day I found a box of Buffalo Bore 220 grain lead hardcasts cool They advertise 1200 fps and 705 ftlbs at the muzzle, from what I gather out of the short barrel of a Glock 29 I'm looking at maybe 1050 fps and maybe 550 ftlbs.

Blew through a single mag of 10 rounds rapid fire at the range today. Finally, a 10mm commercial load that FEELS hot at the wrist cool Recoil was sharp, muzzle flip substantial, but controllable.

OK, 10 rounds at 30 feet, rapid fire, aiming a tad low to get a good look at the target (like I would with an inbound hog fer example....)

[Linked Image]

Suits me, feeling decidedly less apprehensive about big pigs in the woods now cool

Ya I know about stock Glock barrels and lead, but at $1.50 per round, I doubt I'll ever fire enough of these in a row between cleanings for leading to be a problem.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I predict dead pig.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
And with an exit wound ta boot.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Those loads will pack a wallop. The 357 mag will take care of hogs nicely.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I should get a few of those for the TN hog hunt. My personal carry loads are a handloaded 180gr Gold Dot at 1375, but the 220's should come out of my 5 inch Delta Elite at a good clip and be mighty deadly.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW, that is some good shooting on that target there. Nice work.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just traded a kind of beat up and little rusty older 700 BDL in 6mm (Alaskan version of a truck gun, a boat gun) for a NIB Glock 29. I'm looking forward to trying some of those 220's and accessorizing it. DoubleTap has a good selection of 100 loads also.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't believe that load is recommended for a factory barrel. Unsupported chambers have done bad things to Glocks with the buffalo bore loads I have heard. No real experience but have seen pics of blown up guns. Cast bullets also do not agree with the polygonal rifling. Got a G20 myself. Nice shooting BTW.

Last edited by k20350; 01/24/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by k20350
I don't believe that load is recommended for a factory barrel. Unsupported chambers have done bad things to Glocks with the buffalo bore loads I have heard. No real experience but have seen pics of blown up guns. Cast bullets also do not agree with the polygonal rifling. Got a G20 myself. Nice shooting BTW.

Been shooting the Buffalo Bore loads & my handloads with a 220gr LBT hard cast bullet out of my Glock 20 for at least 15 years!
Never had any problems, & I haven't "blown up" my Glock, yet.

The problem with shooting lead bullets in Glocks comes from shooting pure lead or soft cast bullets. That causes a lead build up in the barrel due to Glock' s type of rifled barrels.
That's for dipsticks who are not smart enough to clean the barrel after going to the range!

The Buffalo Bore ammo will not harm your Glock 29. grin

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Just to answer everyone...

In that little 3" .357 Mod 60 I believe those 180 gr Federal CastCores were doing around 1,000 fps at the muzzle, with those loads I couldn't shoot it as fast or as well in my hands as that Glock either.

So, in the Glock twice as many rounds of a 22% heavier bullet going about 5% faster in an easier to control package.

I'm left handed and right eyed, cross-dominant, so handgun sights sometimes print somewhere in left or right field for me. Having this factory load print to point of aim at exactly the ranges I'd most need it is pure gravy cool

Downsides are the 29 doesn't pack concealed quite as easily as that Mod 60 and feels like a 2x4 in my hand, also it would not be as versatile as that Mod 60 for recreational shooting on camping trips and the like.

But acceptable tradeoffs as for me the 29 is a special purpose gun specifically for the hog-infested woodlands of which we have lots here. I'll pack it along on flintlock hunts too as finisher/backup.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
ummmm smoked bacon!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by k20350

Been shooting the Buffalo Bore loads & my handloads with a 220gr LBT hard cast bullet out of my Glock 20 for at least 15 years!
Never had any problems, & I haven't "blown up" my Glock, yet.

The problem with shooting lead bullets in Glocks comes from shooting pure lead or soft cast bullets. That causes a lead build up in the barrel due to Glock' s type of rifled barrels.
That's for dipsticks who are not smart enough to clean the barrel after going to the range!

The Buffalo Bore ammo will not harm your Glock 29. grin

K. Somebody with real experience. I Have only shot handloads out of my G20. Just what I have heard in research on my Glock. I use 180XTP's.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Just to answer everyone...

But acceptable tradeoffs as for me the 29 is a special purpose gun specifically for the hog-infested woodlands of which we have lots here. I'll pack it along on flintlock hunts too as finisher/backup.

Birdwatcher

It's also now Legal to pack a handgun in TX in Archery Season for Deer if you have a Concealed Handgun License. Most of my students don't know that when I tell them during class. A lot of bow hunters have been getting their CHL for that reason, alone! Like you said, lots of hogs here in Texas! grin

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

http://www.manta.com/c/mr5kmgv/buffalo-bore-ammunition-co-inc

Buffalo Bore Ammunition Co Inc in Saint Ignatius, MT is a private company categorized under Ammunition. Our records show it was established in 2010 and incorporated in Montana.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager

Buffalo Bore Ammunition Co Inc in Saint Ignatius, MT is a private company categorized under Ammunition. Our records show it was established in 2010 and incorporated in Montana.

Ok, so I mis-stated my post. Mean't to say I have been shooting my handloads loaded with a 220gr LBT hard cast bullet out of my Glock 20 for at least 15 years!!! I've been using Buffalo Boar Ammo through my Glock 20 as long as they have been making it. Fixed it for ya. You should be an Editor cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/24/13.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Since you don't reload for it, Underwood Ammo is worth a look.

Like everyone else, they can't currently keep up with orders, but their prices are fair and their product is outstanding.

Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow I just checked out Underwood, their prices for are great. Their 220gr load has the same FPS as Buffalo Bores. Even says safe for use in Glock! 50 for $38($.76 ea) vs 20 for $29($1.45 ea.) for Buffalo Bore and $.96 ea for Double Taps 230 gr.

Thanks for the heads up Otto, just hope I can get some up here.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmAuto220GrainHardCastFlatNoseBoxof50.aspx

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[match]=all&s[search]=&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[cid]=24&s[subcats]=Y&s[mid]=0&s[sku]=&s[price_from]=&s[price_to]=&s[weight_from]=&s[weight_to]=

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_25

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 4ager

Buffalo Bore has been around longer than 2010. I bought my Glock 20 back in '06 and have been shooting BB ever since then.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice shooting there.

That load ought to sting a wee bit.

A lot of factory 10mm has been "loaded down" I guess you could say. I don't know if that is from the FBI days or not. It seems like the only ammo, as you know, that has some "fire" in it is that Buffalo Bore stuff. I don't know but maybe Corbon does also.

I love my Glock 27 and with a standard length KKM barrel in it and my handloads over a chronograph I'm getting around 1175 fps with a 180 cast slug. Plenty of snap but very comforting when hiking the hills and vales.

The 10mm interests me but not just now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do the companies like BB do to make their loaded ammo safe for shooting in factory Glocks compared to handloads that are loaded similar?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,288
Posts18,486,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.