Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I tried a 50mm scope on one of my rifles for an egg match and for load developement and had to use such high rings that I ended up having to install an adjustable cheek peice to be able to shoot the gun accurately. So where do you used these monsters. I'm not much of a big game hunter any more but have hunted coyotes in five states so far this year and find my 1.5x6x40mm more than adequate and I don't even have any hunting hour restrictions.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are good for propping a window open.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Swampman700

smile

Regards,Steve
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am not a fan. I don't like to have to use high rings, and not get a cheek weld. I also don't like the fact that the objective is wider than the forend, which makes it bump into everything.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have two.. One on a Target rifle with a 32X top end.

The other is on a rifle I built as a beanfield type rifle. My feeling is that for shooting little brown deer against a little brown background at longer ranges magnification helps and if you you want exit pupil at magnification then you need objective.

Do big objective scopes require higher rings? sure. If you want to do it right you will need a stock design that lines things up for you. Common sense.

Of course a 50mm scope will weigh more than a 40mm, so I amnot sure I would want to to drag one around colorado, but I guess I can manage carrying it a few hundred yards to a deer stand or from the car to the fireing line.

Do 40mm scopes work? Sure they do.. well until you find some circumstance that they don't.

If I was limited to one rifle would it have 50mm obj, no it wouldn't. Luckily I can have more than one rifle.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It sounds like you either have a poorly shaped stock or a weird face structure. Also, most 50mm objective scopes will go into medium rings which aren't very high at all, it depends upon the base height and barrel contour among other things.

Nothing seems to get the scope nazis worked up here more than guys owning big objective scopes. It's like mentioning an AR-15 to a democrat, they start frothing at the mouth about how nobody needs to own one of THOSE things.

The fact of the matter is that nobody really needs a scope at all, iron sights worked for a bunch of people for many hundreds of years. Scopes are a shooting luxury and as such it's up to the user to determine which aspects of that luxury he values more. Some people want more magnification, others want top quality optics, others prize durability at the expense of weight, and others just want something cheap. We all have our criteria for choosing a scope and thankfully there are a bunch of them available for any desire. If you see someone with a high end european scope with a 50-56mm then you can deduce that low light gathering ability is important to him. Your 1.5-6x40 might please you, but generally I want more magnification than that. To keep the scope bright at last light with a deer in the shadows 200 yds away on a food plot I want good glass, high magnification, and a big objective. If you're coyote calling with shots usually under 50 yds & a colored lens spotlight at night, something else might be more optimum.

Choose what works for you and let others choose what works for them. Big objective scopes were typically designed for low light shooting to maintain brightness as you turn up the power. The guys that seem to hate them the most seem to be the western hunters who aim to be back at camp before the sun sets, they can't seem to understand that not everyone hunts that way. To an eastern whitetail hunter the last five minutes of daylight usually provides more quality hunting than the entire rest of the day, if your equipment can't hack it when the light gets low then you're wasting your time. I don't care that it doesn't handle quite as well as rifle with a 2.5-8x36 leupold, it matters none at all when it's slung over my back for the 1/4 mile mostly flat walk to my stand. I also don't care that it's an inch longer, 3 oz. heavier, or sits .125" higher in the rings, those are easy enough to deal with for the extra performance it gives me in my hunting environment.

If one doesn't work for you then don't buy one, but don't dismiss that no one "needs" one because they don't fill your desires. Your hunting conditions aren't the same as the guys using them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fact of the matter is that nobody really needs a firearm at all, rock and sticks worked for a bunch of people for many hundreds of years. Guns are a luxury and as such it's up to the user to determine which aspects of that luxury he values more. Some people want more range, others want top quality accuracy, others prize durability at the expense of weight, and others just want something cheap. We all have our criteria for choosing a gun and thankfully there are a bunch of them available for any desire. If you see someone with a high end Weatherby rifle with a high velocity load then you can deduce that bragging is important to him. Your sticks and stones might please you, but generally I want more performance than that. To keep the rifle useful at last light with a deer in the shadows 200 yds away on a food plot I want good flat shooting rifle, high velocity, and a big bullet. If you're coyote calling with shots usually under 10 yds & a colored rock or something else might be more optimum.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

you open your mouth and and confirm your ignorance.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what make rifle was it? Sounds like a stock issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use them on just about every hunting rifle I have unless its an ultra-lightweight rig. A few ounces is totally worth the better brighter view. Swaro Z6 2-12x50 with TDS - best scopes I've ever used.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought my first and last 50mm scope years ago. I compared it against my regular VX3's. My eyes frankly couldn't see any differance in legal hunting light. I've saved myself thousands of dollars since then.

NRA Lifetime Member
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was just curious, see the arguments here all the time and now people are talking 56mm scopes and was trying to fiquer out where they are being used.

I tried mine on a couple of heavy barreled target/varmint rigs custom barreled 722 with a 700ADL style stock and aheavy barrel Savage 11. I do have high cheek bones and am very comfortable with 20mm scopes in the lowest posible rings.

Sounds like most of these scopes arebeing used in euro style hunting hochhause and very early and late in the day.

Thanks for the replies I wasn't trying to be judgemental just curious, tried one and it was a disaster

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp

There are few things more gay than a 50mm scope. You've proven your gayness.

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Personally,I'm a fan of smaller objectives.I wish there were more quality 36mm objective scopes.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had one for for about 4 months, sold it today. Got an incredible deal on a new Weaver Super Slam ebx 2-10x50, absolutely loved the glass, the reticle was the best looking I've ever owned...I really wanted to like the scope, took two deer with it in November...just seamed awkward in the high Burris rings and frankly with that big bell it was fugly on my rifle. Debating what to replace it with this summer.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp

There are few things more gay than a 50mm scope. You've proven your gayness.

Please continue to burnish your role as campfire idiot, we all need a good laugh from time to time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to look ignorant then get the 50mm. Most Walmart shoppers do.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

find that scope at Walmart.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not my pic, not my scope, not my rifle. I'm straight...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Please continue to burnish your image as resident campfire idiot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Bigd7378, 35, big_g270, 7mm_Loco, blackhawk44, 7 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,446
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.