Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What's the deal people? I have and love my 7mm08, and it works well for all I ask.
6.5x47 lapua
6.5 creed more
260rem
Etc.

What are the differences between these rounds, and why would you use one over a more 'common' caliber. (The reason of I want to is acceptable. Some folks like to be different)

Does it have many advantages? Other than expensive brass?

Planning a lightweight walking rifle build, and want a mild recoiling rifle. Just feeling out options. Thoughts?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you also add the 6.5x55 into your mix there are 4 cartrdges with basically the same case capacity, not sure why exactly. I like the 260, 6.5 Creedmoore and 6.5x55 in that order, have no use at all for a 6.5x47. The reason I went with the 260 currently and also 6.5x55 in the past is they are light kicking, usually very accurate, you can get bullets that work great from varmints to moose, high sectional density means deep penetration and high b.c's.

And I like to be different smile

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Very interesting and informative article; just to summarize the article by his final remarks
"In the end, neither of these new upstart cartridges did anything for me that the .260 didn't. With the new Reloder 17 powder, I am now launching the 139gr Scenar at just over 2900 fps from my 26" Rock Creek barrel."

The sectional density and BC aspects are what intrigue me. Can't imagine I would shoot to such an alarming frequency that the availability of components was my determining factor.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
very nice article

Never trust a man in a wheel chair...with dirty shoes.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It is a good article, but I don't see that it answered the OP's question - What can you do with one of those four 6.5mm's that you can't do w/ a 7mm-08. It's clear the 6.5's offer some advantages over the 308Win, but I can't tell what they can do that a 7mm-08 can't do as well or better, except offer a small fraction less recoil than the 7mm-08.

David

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Canazes9
It is a good article, but I don't see that it answered the OP's question - What can you do with one of those four 6.5mm's that you can't do w/ a 7mm-08. It's clear the 6.5's offer some advantages over the 308Win, but I can't tell what they can do that a 7mm-08 can't do as well or better, except offer a small fraction less recoil than the 7mm-08.

David

Define better...

I love my 6.5's. I have a Swede and a .264WM. Each serves a different role. Do they offer anything over the 7mm-08 or 7mm RM? Sure, they satisfy my curiosity and itch to own one. Beyond that you are getting into ".270 vs .30-06" territory...or ".308 vs 7mm-08". Besides better ballistic coefficients, just pick the cartridge that turns your crank and have fun. You're talking bullets that differ in diameter by only HUNDREDTHS or even THOUSANDTHS of an inch.

The game won't notice if you shot it with a .260 or a 7mm-08.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
WE

I'm not getting into a pizzin match - I brought it up because I had the same question. To me it's a little different than the 270/06 argument. The 7mm-08 has some clear advantages over the 308 when it comes to ballistics. Its mostly gack if you don't shoot over 500 yards, but it is real.

The 6.5's have the same advantages over the 308 and the same conclusions - its a small advantage and in the big picture isn't that big of a deal, but it is a real advantage. The question is do the small 6.5's offer any advantage over a 7mm-08? I can't see that they do. Given current bullet selection, I would think the 7mm-08 has the tiniest of advantages.

I'm all about trying different stuff and scratching itches. I've got a 264WM waiting to be shot right now. I've even contemplated getting a 25-06 just because... I think the OP is asking do the 6.5's offer anything over his 7mm-08's or is this just folks enjoying playing with something new. I think it's the latter, but am open to being shown I'm mistaken.

Regards,

David

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
If you also add the 6.5x55 into your mix there are 4 cartrdges with basically the same case capacity, not sure why exactly. I like the 260, 6.5 Creedmoore and 6.5x55 in that order, have no use at all for a 6.5x47. The reason I went with the 260 currently and also 6.5x55 in the past is they are light kicking, usually very accurate, you can get bullets that work great from varmints to moose, high sectional density means deep penetration and high b.c's.

And I like to be different smile

Why is that? Ever owned or shot one? Curious.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never owned one, it has the same performance as the others but has expensive hard to find brass. Just personal preference.

Gerry.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to know what the deal is, just check the equipment list at any major long range, precision, or tactical match. You won't find any competitors using the 7mm-08.

Do you think this is happenstance or for good reason?

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Never owned one, it has the same performance as the others but has expensive hard to find brass. Just personal preference.

Was just curious. I have a 260 and a gun building friend has built several 6.5x47 Lapuas and has had excellent results. Lapua brass is more expensive, but I have found the quality and uniformity to be worth the expense. Lately the WW or RP brass we have been getting has been poor at best.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
If you want to know what the deal is, just check the equipment list at any major long range, precision, or tactical match. You won't find any competitors using the 7mm-08.

Do you think this is happenstance or for good reason?

Out of curiosity, how many .308's to .260's do you see?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The answer - if you consider "shoot ability" or low kick, and High BC or least drop to be important as most LR shooters do, the the 6.5 mm is about the Ideal projectile size.

After this it's easy to see that most makers are competing to see who can make the best 6.5 delivery cartridge.

Spot

Originally Posted by George_in_SD
What's the deal people? I have and love my 7mm08, and it works well for all I ask.
6.5x47 lapua
6.5 creed more
260rem
Etc.

What are the differences between these rounds, and why would you use one over a more 'common' caliber. (The reason of I want to is acceptable. Some folks like to be different)

Does it have many advantages? Other than expensive brass?

Planning a lightweight walking rifle build, and want a mild recoiling rifle. Just feeling out options. Thoughts?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You won't see many .308's. The 6.5's are predominant. At the PRS Finale, the top 50 shooters in the Nation, the 6.5 Creedmoor was the most used cartridge by far. The .260 was next.

The .308 is a great cartridge and very accurate, it just gives up too much in the wind drift department. It's a real handicap in matches where first round hits are the only thing that's scored.

I've seen great performances with the .308 with a shooter who happens to be "on" that day, but in general they won't keep up.

So that brings us back to the OP's question.

Why wouldn't you choose the chambering that will most likely give you first round hits, even for hunting?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems to be plenty of 6mm's in there, too. Of course, they're only concerned with getting hits, not so much what happens after the hit...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Please explain how competition is relevant to this discussion?

Already conceded the slight decrease in recoil in my 1st post. Aside from that that, what does one of the above mentioned 6.5's offer that can't be duplicated or exceeded by a 7mm-08?

David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not much but if they sold them I would rather have a 6.5-06 as the exterior ballistics are better.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between the two, especially in how I will use it.
Guess for my money, I'd rather load two 7mm08's than dick with multiple calibers.

Certainly these 6.5 are interesting though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Please explain how competition is relevant to this discussion?

David

I thought it was obvious, but I guess not to some

In competition, you generally enter to try to win. To win, you and your equipment have to be at the top of your game. If you are allowed to choose equipment that will enhance your chances of winning, you should. This includes choosing a cartridge/bullet combination that enables you to hit targets at a higher percentage of success than other available choices.

Same goes with long range hunting matching cartridge to game

You asked "what's up with all the 6.5mm craze", and there's your answer.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1234, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 1,754 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,105
Posts18,522,468
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.