-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At 300 it matters little, but this is the Long Range Forum, so my input is based there.

I have a 7# rifle like you're talking about with a 24" barrel. It's chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor for long range capability. If you are thinking about a new rifle, why not choose the cartridge that won't handicap you at long range? If you already have a 7mm-08 and only shoot 300 yards, you're good to go!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm hung up on the idea of using target bullets for hunting. I see it all the time, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Thank God for Mississippi!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd be interested in the specs on that rifle if you don't mind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Creed is a Hornady thing right? Brass issues? What's the biggest diff b/w it and the .260/260ai

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
How about a .600 BC at 3000fps? I do have an idea......and it's not a guess.

That's Greek to them as well Pat.

Yeah...everyone on here not shooting a 6.5 is suddenly clueless smirk

Everyone else is "stupid"....gimme a break. grin

You said that, not me. laugh

The point is if you don't understand the simple concept of why competitive shooters use cartridges that make it easier to hit what they're shooting at in all conditions, you won't understand what is significant about being able to fire a bullet with a BC of .600 at 3000 fps

rc: Oh...make no mistake ...I do understand completely.
wink You may not have meant it to sound the way it did,but that's the way it came out.

Just because I don't predicate my choice of hunting calibers and bullets based on what match shooters use,doesn't mean I have no undertstanding of "why" they use what they use.

For over 40 years I've been a member of a club dominated by match shooters,many of whom can and do compete nationally and internationally and do pretty well no matter where they go...from Perry to Quantico, Palma matches in Canada,Australia, etc....some of these guys are personal friends of many years. I know what they shoot and why.I would not want any of them shooting at me at any distance.

In the aggragate they are outstanding shots....some are hunters with some experience.But none have a lot.

Across the board, they are generally not the right people to take advise from when it comes to cartridges and bullets for BG hunting,for a host of reasons too numerous to bother with...I would a bit rather take my advise about such things from people who in the aggragate have seen thousands of BG animals killed...folks on here like Johnny B,Phil Shoemaker,JJ Hack, RinB....and a good many others I know personally with high carcass counts.My own experience does not match theirs...but I have been around a little bit myself here and there,and seen enough in the way of calibers and bullets at work, to know a 6.5 is not the last word on BG calibers.

Of the people I know who have shot a LOT of animals in varied places and continents under widely varied conditions,only one used a 6.5 of any type(John Burns).....the rest are predominantly 270,7mm and 30 caliber shooters.And by an overwhelming majority.

In general, and to be honest, I don't find a lot of the advise given out by avid match shooters particularly good advise for general purpose BG hunting.The two guys I mentioned in the post above are both very knowledgeable and skilled rifle shooters.....in the aggragate I doubt they have 20 animals between them....one killed an elk about 20 years ago in Colorado(the only one he ever shot I think)at about 550-600 yards,the longest shot he has ever made on an animal...he used a 270 Winchester that he bought from me.

I really can't take seriously any notion that someone armed with a 7/08 vs a 6.5 Creedmoor(say), is somehow severely handicapped for general BG hunting..

Nor can I accept the rather obvious implication that anyone not shooting a .600 BC bullet at 3000 fps is somehow clueless and the discussion is far over their heads,ie, we are stupid, lack experiece, and the match shooters have all the answers.......these kinds of notions are precisely among the reasons I don't listen too hard at all to match/tactical shooters when it comes to bullet/caliber choices for BG hunting across the board. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/30/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7mmaniac
I'm hung up on the idea of using target bullets for hunting. I see it all the time, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Swift makes their Scirocco II in 6.5 130gr. It boasts a .571 BC. Berger's 140gr Hunting VLD in 6.5 has a .612 BC. For the past two years I've shot and hunted with Berger's 130gr Hunting VLD and have a nice string of one shot kills, including an elk this past fall at 697 yards, all with a lightweight .260.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since we're talking Swampworks JLK bullets, why not compare apples to apples and run the 7-08 with the 168gr JLK at 2750fps? That's a 0.690 BC at 2750fps. If you compare wind drift out to 1 mile on JBM, they are nearly identical, but the 7-08 actually drifts a bit less at extended ranges.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2750 with a 168 looks pretty optomistic out of the 7mm-08.

Hodgdon's reloading center shows max loads at 2650

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=scenarshooter]How about a .600 BC at 3000fps? I do have an idea......and it's not a guess.

You said that, not me. laugh

The point is if you don't understand the simple concept of why competitive shooters use cartridges that make it easier to hit what they're shooting at in all conditions, you won't understand what is significant about being able to fire a bullet with a BC of .600 at 3000 fps

rc: Oh...make no mistake ...I do understand completely.
wink You may not have meant it to sound the way it did,but that's the way it came out.

Just because I don't predicate my choice of hunting calibers and bullets based on what match shooters use,doesn't mean I have no undertstanding of "why" they use what they use.

For over 40 years I've been a member of a club dominated by match shooters,many of whom can and do compete nationally and internationally and do pretty well no matter where they go...from Perry to Quantico, Palma matches in Canada,Australia, etc....some of these guys are personal friends of many years. I know what they shoot and why.I would not want any of them shooting at me at any distance.

In the aggragate they are outstanding shots....some are hunters with some experience.But none have a lot.

Across the board, they are generally not the right people to take advise from when it comes to cartridges and bullets for BG hunting,for a host of reasons too numerous to bother with...I would a bit rather take my advise about such things from people who in the aggragate have seen thousands of BG animals killed...folks on here like Johnny B,Phil Shoemaker,JJ Hack, RinB....and a good many others I know personally with high carcass counts.My own experience does not match theirs...but I have been around a little bit myself here and there,and seen enough in the way of calibers and bullets at work, to know a 6.5 is not the last word on BG calibers.

Of the people I know who have shot a LOT of animals in varied places and continents under widely varied conditions,only one used a 6.5 of any type(John Burns).....the rest are predominantly 270,7mm and 30 caliber shooters.And by an overwhelming majority.

In general, and to be honest, I don't find a lot of the advise given out by avid match shooters particularly good advise for general purpose BG hunting.The two guys I mentioned in the post above are both very knowledgeable and skilled rifle shooters.....in the aggragate I doubt they have 20 animals between them....one killed an elk about 20 years ago in Colorado(the only one he ever shot I think)at about 550-600 yards,the longest shot he has ever made on an animal...he used a 270 Winchester that he bought from me.

I really can't take seriously any notion that someone armed with a 7/08 vs a 6.5 Creedmoor(say), is somehow severely handicapped for general BG hunting..

Nor can I accept the rather obvious implication that anyone not shooting a .600 BC bullet at 3000 fps is somehow clueless and the discussion is far over their heads,ie, we are stupid, lack experiece, and the match shooters have all the answers.......these kinds of notions are precisely among the reasons I don't listen too hard at all to match/tactical shooters when it comes to bullet/caliber choices for BG hunting across the board. smile

If a .600 BC bullet drifts 1" less at 300 yards than a bullet with less efficiency, it could be the difference of putting that bullet in front of the diaphram, instead of behind it.....meaning the animal dies right there, or you go looking for it and maybe not recover it. I'm not saying 6.5's are the "world beater" of big game hunting rifles, that would be ludicrous. I'm just stating what I've seen in competiton and in the hunting fields here in the west....take it for what it's worth.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2750 with a 168 looks pretty optomistic out of the 7mm-08.

Hodgdon's reloading center shows max loads at 2650

Well, that's true. But so does 3000 with a 130. Hodgdon shows 2875fps shooting a 125 out of the .260.

I went into the newest edition of QL and punched in 60k psi for both cartridges, both using JLK bullets (130 and 168). It showed 3000fps with the .260 and 2750fps with the 7-08.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Also, I'm not suggesting that the 7-08 is superior in every way. I'm just trying to keep it real.

I definitely see some advantages of the .260 over the 7.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

If a .600 BC bullet drifts 1" less at 300 yards than a bullet with less efficiency, it could be the difference of putting that bullet in front of the diaphram, instead of behind it.....meaning the animal dies right there, or you go looking for it and maybe not recover it. I'm not saying 6.5's are the "world beater" of big game hunting rifles, that would be ludicrous. I'm just stating what I've seen in competiton and in the hunting fields here in the west....take it for what it's worth.

That is pretty much all that I am saying as well.I have no reason to doubt your obervations, experiences and skill sets.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess all said and done, trigger time and boot leather will trump everything else. I'd probably kill damn near as many critters with my old .270 and a 6X Leupold as I do with the equipment I run now......although there are a few old giant mule deer bucks and whopper black bears that stood off just out of range with no chance to close the distance. they would be on the wall instead of ingrained in my memory.

I'm guilty of being a "tinkerer"....always in search of a better mousetrap. I figure it keeps me young.....and low on money....grin!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Also, I'm not suggesting that the 7-08 is superior in every way. I'm just trying to keep it real.

Me too. The advantages are minimal, and like I said, If you already have the 7, no need to change really for hunting.

If you have neither and are gonna choose however...

BobinNH,

So you would take the advice of hunters over the advice of experienced long range shooters who know how to minimize missing? Why not combine the two and choose plenty of gun shooting high BC hunting bullets suited for your game?

I find that like ignoring the advice of National Champion wingshooters on how to hit a flying target in favor of the advice of someone who only hunts. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Me too. The advantages are minimal, and like I said, If you already have the 7, no need to change really for hunting.

If you have neither and are gonna choose however...

In my mind, if using the very best LR bullets in both cartridges, they stack up like this:

7-08
- Less wind drift beyond 1000 yards
- Larger bullet should do a bit more damage when hitting large game

- Carries slightly more impact velocity out to beyond 1600 yards
- Less recoil makes it easier to stay on target, follow through, and spot your own shots
- Lapua brass available in .260 without having to neck up or down

Both seem to have a nice selection of high-BC hunting and target bullets. Availability might be a bit better with the 7mm, though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about a .738 BC @ 2950 fps, course I'd need a new .270 barrel and cut it to 26"....grin

Still kind of guessing but getting closer... smile

My 23" tube is running them in the 2850 range but that's as far as my tests have gone. I spend too darn much time shooting my Zebra rig with 140 Bergs @ 2650.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 01/30/13.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dober,

Haven't you learned that the .270 is a POS, by now? grin

Just curious- are you talking about the Matrix VLD with the 0.738 BC? If so, that's a static, calculated BC, and the real-world numbers typically are a fair bit lower than estimated. An example is the 190gr 7mm VLD. When Litz actually measured the BC, it ended up being very comparable to the 180gr Berger at about 0.673, rather than the 0.807 value that is estimated by Matrix and listed on the website.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah Jordo that's the one I was speaking of. Like I say I'm still guessing at most of this.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the boys who have been shooting that bullet figure that the actual BC is somewhere around the 0.630-650 range, which may not be 0.738, but it ain't no slouch! smile

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 270cowboy, 44 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.