Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes. They took over the building Circuit City occupied.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eh76
Why don't you guys lighten up a bit........
Keith, you'd probably have better luck asking a dingleberry on your dog's asss why it's there. Dingleberries are just dingleberries. Yuh know?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
IMHO ever since Cabela's went corporate they have gone down hill.

If Cabelas do ever belly up, you talkin bout a bunch of cool guns that will be for sale cheap, have mercy on my soul, call the builders and safe companies, I'm going shopping. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
When the .223 panic hit in '06 I bought a couple cases of 55 gr ball at about 24 cents per round, which I though was highway robbery at the time... I'd been paying about 15 cents previously.

I called Black Hills and was told their backorder wait time was going to be 14-16 months, and that was for a preferred customer/agency purchase. Turned out the delay was only about 4 months. Doom and gloom predictions tend to be common during these panic-buying episodes.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Almost ran out of Varget a few years ago right in the middle of the competition season. IIRC I paid $34 for a pound. Got 32lbs in storage now...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket
When the .223 panic hit in '06 I bought a couple cases of 55 gr ball at about 24 cents per round, which I though was highway robbery at the time... I'd been paying about 15 cents previously.

I called Black Hills and was told their backorder wait time was going to be 14-16 months, and that was for a preferred customer/agency purchase. Turned out the delay was only about 4 months. Doom and gloom predictions tend to be common during these panic-buying episodes.
There was a 223 panic in 2006? Did you mistakenly mean 2008 or was there really one in 2006? Seriously not dogging you but wondering if I forgot it or what.

I remember all the panics you're talking about but can't recall one in 2006. Before O was even elected though, at some point 223 took a big jump from having been $150 a thousand mol to about double that. I can't remember what precipitated it. It had been that price approximately, for years.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I don't even open any Cabela's catalogs that hit my mailbox. With their pricing being what it is, their catalogs go straight to the trash can.

Only reason I buy from Cabela's at all is for clothing anymore. I can get tall sizes and I use points a garner from using their CC.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Almost ran out of Varget a few years ago right in the middle of the competition season. IIRC I paid $34 for a pound. Got 32lbs in storage now...

eek I thought $22 a pound was high....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This ammo craze is ridiculous, ammo isn't going to banned.....

1 and done
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. They took over the building Circuit City occupied.

That really is close to GM. I'll bet the GM folks are sweating it-except for the ones who have jumped ship to Cabela's.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kletzenklueffer

I had a guy on another forum tell me that the reason he didn't see it coming is tha tObama had never voted for gun control crazy

OMG! [Linked Image]

Islam is a terrorist organization.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

eek I thought $22 a pound was high....

Just bought 3lbs of Red Dot for my skeet loads for $17 a pound.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back about 1986, I went to the Grand Opening of the Joplin K Mart. It wasn't even THE first day. I was too young to know what a good buy was and too broke to have took much advantage of one if I'd known. There were lines from the registers clear back to the back by sporting goods and electronics. I just elbowed around and got out, went back home.

There ain't nothing left of that store now. It was dozed down before the tornado even.

Around here on Black Fridays you don't see fights break out, but it's crazy enough.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
So you can't ignore things and just have to escalate them? Isn't that what got you into the problem in the first place?
You tell 'em, eh.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
[quote=DocRocket]
I remember all the panics you're talking about but can't recall one in 2006. Before O was even elected though, at some point 223 took a big jump from having been $150 a thousand mol to about double that. I can't remember what precipitated it. It had been that price approximately, for years.

It was January 2006. Government purchasing of 5.56 went thru the roof for use in the Sandbox at about that time. I stumbled across the fact of the shortage before it hit the innanet newsgroups.

I recall it pretty well because I was laid up after my 2nd knee replacement and looking forward to a Pat Rogers carbine class in May/06. Ammo requirement was 1500 rounds of 5.56 and another 500 of 45 ACP for the blaster, so I went internet shopping just as the scarcity started and the price started climbing. IIRC, I got a couple cases of 55 gr ball from Stryker's for 21 cents and a couple cases of Russian softpoint 62 gr ammo for 24 cents a round. Black Hills, Federal, Lake City all told me to take a hike when I called (nicely, but still...) even though I was using my sheriff's department account.

It got really tight there, for a while. One of the SWAT teams at that May class had to use their MP5's for the class because they couldn't buy enough 5.56 ammo for their 5 guys.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
So you can't ignore things and just have to escalate them? Isn't that what got you into the problem in the first place?

You tell 'em, eh.

LOL laugh

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You tell 'em, eh.

you are such a putz. If you put someone on ignore why do you peek?

My comment was obviously above your comprehension level as much as it was above attention deficit disorder's.

You two can go back to your spooning now.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by highridge1
This ammo craze is ridiculous, ammo isn't going to banned.....

I tried to make the same point last week and got blasted by some for being an idiot...and not endorsing panic buying and stockpiling, even though I don't shoot all that much.

Nothing like self fulfilling a prophecy to prove a point.

I got the primers I needed thanks to a good friend on the fire whom I have never met never met in person. Kind of what I think Rick intended when he called his place a campfire.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Amazing, to see the panic in folks eyes, the sense of urgency, as they grabbed some of this, and some of that.
All the .45 auto, 9mm and .40 S&W was GONE. I over heard one of the managers saying that they were going to have to limit purchases.
It has been truly amazing to watch. Last week or so I was in one and walked by the ammo counter. It was bare (except for a few boxes of .17 and .22wmr and shotgun shells).
There was a handwritten sign saying something along the lines of "In order to serve more of our customers ammo purchases are limited to 3 boxes" or some such. I was in the area for maybe two minutes and saw a few others guys walked up and looked blankly at the shelves for several seconds and walk away. Locally BPS and Academy have people just staring at the empty shelves. It's weird to just see (them).
Ammo isn't bread. It keeps. And it is (was)relatively inexpensive. Why would you not have a relatively long time supply all the time?

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought enough ammo and reloading supplies

but I can't go to the gun range and enjoy myself. All I think about is how I have to replace what I'm shooting.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,867
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.