Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Oh Geez, it's baaaaack!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lee24?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This might be of interest:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3178761/1

On the 3rd page, a poster by the name of "Journeyman" put this up:

Originally Posted by Journeyman
Sorry if it appears that way; I didn't mean it so. On the web you never know who you're addressing. To rephrase...do you have training in materials engineering? If not, peruse this, from the best materials science site on the web:

AZOM on 416

Note this: "Martensitic stainless steels are optimised for high hardness, and other properties are to some degree compromised. Fabrication must be by methods that allow for poor weldability and usually also allow for a final harden and temper heat treatment. Corrosion resistance is lower than the common austenitic grades, and their useful operating temperature range is limited by their loss of ductility at sub-zero temperatures and loss of strength by over-tempering at elevated temperatures."

If you prefer from an actual steel manufacturer, Crucible provides more barrel steel than any other, although Carpenter, Allegheny Ludlum and others are in the hunt:

Crucible 416R

Here, note: "All martensitic stainless steels have reduced ductility at very low temperatures. For this reason, caution should be exercised in the design of barrels for use at extremely low temperatures."

Crucible will provide their 416 pre-heat treated as well as in the annealed condition. The way they provide it, and as Lilja and others use it is thus:

Crucible 416R Data Sheet

..where we see: "Although all martensitic stainless steels have reduced ductility at very low temperatures, Crucible 416R can be safely used down to minus 40�F (-40�C)."

The chart I posted above however covers the mechanical properties at differing heat treatments and resulting hardness, ie where Krieger's means and methodology, along with their caution, enters the picture...

Seems like a reasonable explanation, and most won't be hunting at colder than -40F. However, there would be no end to opinions about whether stainless steel is safe in cold weather.

I'll just say my barrels are stainless, and if it gets much colder than -15F, I probably won't be testing to figure out if my rifle will blow up. I'll either be somewhere warmer (inside) or have a darn good reason to be outside.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 7mmaniac
Speaking of Sporter style barrels.. #1, #2, and #3. If looking to build semi-lightweight rig that will still shoot well... 7-7.25 lbs. The more barrel the betterl I believe, but at what point does balance issues come up and how much is too much??? For intended purposes I mean. Will a fluted #3 come out close to a #2 in weight? Based on a 23" barrel. Caliber will be either .260 or 7/08. With edge stocks with a 14" LOP, is a #2 (fluted or not) enough barrel? Orrr, do you stay with a fluted #3? I'm hung up on feel and balance more than weight right now. I've measured several of my current rifles muzzle OD to get a good idea, but it's still confusing because the edge stock is a variable I can't adjust for, 23oz vs ~40oz for my BDL wood. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get an order in to Brux as quickly as possible.

This article discusses barrel thickness: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/factors_in_accuracy_one.html

Barsness posits that, "Over the years, my notes with many bolt actions indicate that barrels with .150 inch of steel outside the bore at the muzzle sometimes shoot well and sometimes don't. But if there's substantially more steel around the hole, at least .18 inch, then most barrels shoot very well.

In 6mm this means a .600 inch muzzle, in .270 or 7mm a .640 inch muzzle, and in .30 caliber a .670 muzzle (which may be partly why the .30-06 didn't shoot quite so well as the 6mm and 7mm. So the standard Model 700 barrel provides lots of steel around the bore in the calibers most of us shoot. The lighter-barreled Model 700 Mountain Rifle can also shoot quite well, but tends to be more persnickety about ammo."

For my 30-06 I accept less steel for a lighter carry weight, and my rifle wears a Rock #3 as a result. It's got about a .639 muzzle at 23 inches, for 0.165 inch barrel walls at the muzzle. It will put 3 Accubonds in a bit more than a half inch, and 5 Accubonds inside an inch, which is good enough for me. It's no benchrest rifle, but adequate for hunting. Also, I am normally about a 0.6 to 0.75 MOA shooter (for my best groups), and the rifle probably shoots better than I do.

To answer your original question, I think a Rem 700 action, Brux #3, and McMillan Edge stock would get you to your ~7 lb weight without scope. I think you'd need to have a Brux #2 to be 7.5 lbs scoped.

For the record, my rifle weighs 7 lbs, 8.3 oz (7.5 lbs) scoped. She weighs 6.75 lbs without scope. She's configured as such:
Rem 700 long action
Rock #3, 30 cal (chambered in 30-06), 1-inch shank, 23 inch barrel
McMillan Edge stock
Talley Lightweights
Leupold 6x42 scope

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info guys.

Thank God for Mississippi!
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'CRAFT,

There's more smoke & mirrors with barrels than anything,save optics.(grin) I enjoy the ruse,that some Makers are of a stance to decline a lesser contour in S/S for "safety". Pretty [bleep] funny!

The only constant in regards to barrel Makers,is that there is NO constants and it amazes me,how many Sheep are unable to filter the fluff.

The Cut Faction is a band of High Maintenance Whiners...though Mike Rock contours and flutes like he means it,which is why he's my favorite cut tube Maker.

For conversation a certain 1-7" .224" Mike spout was turned from it's initial #7 contouring,to a sub #1 and easily became my favorite rifle of All Time. That despite there being more than a couple few in the herd,chambered likewise.

Hint.

'619,

There's no reason to preface your whine,by stipulating your incredible cluelessness,as that has never not been a given.

I enjoy however,that you are too stupid to connect velcro laden dots set atop a silver platter and to run with them facts.

Please feel free to wax eloquent on your "findings",that will quantify the relative Precision inherent in contours ranging from a sub #1 to a straight 1.350" bull...if only because it'll be funnier than [bleep] to have you again reiterate your total cluelessness,in regards to such matters. Say a leetle sumptin' about the stocks,mounting systems,glass and fodder,if only to really ring the bell and to grant overview in them extrapolations.

Bless your heart.

'hunter,

You'll wanna shut the [bleep] up,take notes and apply same.

Hint.

'douglas,

Brux's #3's are beyond "proud" and would be a Goat [bleep] in an EDGE.

#3 Brux wearing 1/2" shank Sako Hunter...if only to get the Whiners Whining.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

'maniac,

You're on fire.

Laffin'!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SCHOOLCRAFT
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Its for safety sake with very cold temperatures causing stainless to become brittle and burst according to Krieger etc. If you want a small stainless contour just order one from the maker that provides it and you should be fine!

Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Its for safety sake with very cold temperatures causing stainless to become brittle and burst according to Krieger etc. If you want a small stainless contour just order one from the maker that provides it and you should be fine!

Yup that, I think Krieger will only go down to a #4 in stainless as I recall?? And Brux, they will do a #2 I think in a 6mm but not a 7mm.

Wonder why there would be so much difference in the minimum contour that different barrel makers will produce?

Krieger makes down to a #0 featherweight contour.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Contours-c1246-wp3382.htm

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by eh76
Lee24?

No much worse...Big Stick in disguise !!!!!!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Someone should start a thread for their favorite Boxer lines. I read where someone commented on his need for new material. My favorite is mention of "connecting dots on a silver platter". I have seen that several times. I can only hope for the benefit of the common good that people like this never reproduce.

You'll shoot your eye out
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
anchor,

I musta missed your waxing eloquent on build specs,feel free to regale me with "all" your "experience"...it'll be funnier than [bleep]. Laffin'!

Say a leetle sumptin' 'bout contours,twists and throats,while feeling free to use all of the Imagination and Pretend you deem requisite,to sell the ruse.

Bless your heart.

'619,

No need to perpetually reiterate the incredible depths of your Dumbphucktitude. Pay attention,this is what I said: "connect velcro laden dots set atop a silver platter and to run with them facts".

I'll feign my "surprise",that you are more than a whole bunch uneasy in talkin' contours. Looking forward to the next installment of your Imagination,as you Pretend to have a clue.

Be sure and point out where you think I'm "mistaken"...it'll be funnier than [bleep].

Laffin'!

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
"Waxing eloquent". That's twice in two consecutive posts! Lets see what else you got.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Been meanin' to do a leetle more sumptin' on contours,for you Windowlicking Day Dreamers...if only because your Imagination and Pretend cracks me the [bleep] up. I'll mebbe knock that one out of the park too,come next week. I'll feign my "surprise",that you's more than a wee bit uncomfy doing anything more than flaunting your Imagination and striving to be the first Do Nothing Dumbphuck to Whine herself happy.

Oh I've this [bleep]' hunch,that I sandbag a whole lot more than a little,though it's a [bleep] riot to grant you the opportunity to do the best you can,with what incredibly little you've got. Bless your heart.

I get a kick outta how "real" your Imagination is to you...so allow me to fuel it. In no particular order,from like chambered rifles,background to fore: 1-7",8,9,10,12 and 14 twists.

[Linked Image]

I've long been curious,as to how loud you sappy dumbphuckers' Imaginations are,when you "shoot" them?!!? Appreciate your keen insight there,as you flaunt your ability to answer sumptin' in the firsthand(if only for a [bleep] change).

Laffin'!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'619,

I for one,am enoying your long and awkward silence. Cat got your tongue or do the couch have your [bleep]?!!? Fire that Imagination of your's up and Pretend away,as you really are knocking things outta da park.

Laffin'!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mgw619
"Waxing eloquent". That's twice in two consecutive posts! Lets see what else you got.

Here's a shot of his lunch can. He carried it for three years in grade five.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The name has changed but the same ahole.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I get a kick outta how "real" your Imagination is to you...so allow me to fuel it. In no particular order,from like chambered rifles,background to fore: 1-7",8,9,10,12 and 14 twists.

So, is that 1-6? Why is the top one painted like a clown car? It fuels my imagination in a way that I'm not comfortable with.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No boxer. I have been working all day, babe. Hope you haven't been holding your breath waiting so eagerly. What were you wanting me to reply to? Of your artificially poetic response, there wasn't much there to amount to anything important.

I see another common denominator, a fascination maybe, of your repeated comments on everyone's "imagination". It's getting a little too strange that you are intrigued by this, bud. Lets hear something new if this thread is going to continue.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
7mm, I had the same thoughts as you are asking in you OP. I ended up going with a #3 and getting it fluted... To save a hair of weight, and just because I think it looks cool.. I really like the remington lvsf and that's what I was going for on my 700 rebuild. I have actually been talking to Oregonmulley a lot and asking about his build. I believe he posted on this thread. I am basically reproducing his 7-08 rifle. I think the logic behind his selected components is good and fits what I'm looking for in a hunting rifle. And it looks bad a$$!!! He has been lots of help. You should chat with him a bit..... And wait for it...... Boxer will have a brilliant response to this as well, laughing his butt off as he spoooges all over his computer screen and comments on his thoughts of our "imagination". Go with what you think will work good. It not, fork out a little more cash later and try it again... Everyone else here has been a green horn at one time or another... Gotta start somewhere. Good luck to ya. Let us know how it turns out!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Micro_Groove
So, is that 1-6? Why is the top one painted like a clown car?

It's called Pike Lure Camo ........ It's what shortlings do for attention.

Laffin'

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'Cub,

Fascinating Whine you've got going on and I'd not wanna slight it being both heartfelt and the best you can do. Always a [bleep] riot to grant you the opportunity to regale the masses with all the things you almost did,with all the wares you almost had and from all the places you've almost been. Bless your heart.

Now intellestingly enough,I never did/do drag a nose bag,despite being in close proximity to Spike Tables for 25+ yrs. I reckon it prolly due to the fact that I've never lingered or been into [bleep] around.

Appreciate your taking the time to flaunt your Imagination and practice your Pretend,as perpetual salves to your Do Nothing Dumbphucktitude and Couchbound [bleep]. I get a kick outta how "real" your Pretend is to you and your "hard charging" ways.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...how to fuel your Imagination next,so you can practice more Pretend and flaunt your long perfected high-pitched nasal whine?!!?

I'm happy to stay with the color scheme of your vicarious fascinations.

[Linked Image]

Also comfy in taking you Outdoors,so you can Pretend you could hang and this one has long been a favorite of you and your ilk,barging outta closets. Should it help your Pretend out,feel free to say you took the pic. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Here's to you doing the best you can,with what incredibly [bleep] little you have to work with.

'brook,

As per always,schit don't get much funnier than a Texas Attempt at,well...any [bleep] thing.

You go girl!

'619,

Sugartitts,weren't ever my intent to curtail your Imagination,nor slight just how [bleep] badly you need it. Also weren't my intent to horn you up,though it is a curious constant of you Do Nothing Day Dreamin Dumbphucks,to start cramming things in your mouths and azzes,when out on a limb. Also intellesting,that you ain't not never out on a limb and it's a right proper dichotomy.

Now I'm atta distinct disadvantage as I'm not hip on all this fancy-schmancy gun stuff nomenclature,including the "LVSF" designator. Now were I to make a supposition,I'd state plainly that a tube of it's girth is farrrrrrrrrrrr better suited to a handle of greater than 24oz weight and prolly right at [bleep] home in yet another sumptin' to frost poor(literally) 'Cub's Imagination.

Just sayin'.

[Linked Image]

Cain't recall ever handlin' an LVSF stock either,in any contour.

[Linked Image]

I wonder if a S/S 22" MR-esque contoured 7-08 in a 25-ish oz handle would be any good?!? Laffin'.

You amazingly inept dumbphuckers are a [bleep] riot!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,163 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,031
Posts18,481,886
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.