Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm in the market for a fairly light weight stainless/synthetic short action rifle. I have narrowed it down to the Sako 85 Finnlight, Kimber 84M Montana, and the Browning X-Bolt stainless stalker, all in .308. I am leaning toward the Sako or Kimber, but for the price the Browning seems like quite a deal. I would like to hear the good,the bad, and the ugly of all three before I make a decision.

HR IC

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pdogs or big game? If you like to hike, the kimber can't be beat for the money. If you like long range accuracy the Sako's are awesome. My primary hunting rifle is an 84L 30-06 that is more than accurate enough for anything I hunt(at the ranges I shoot).

I've had a couple of 84M and still miss them and might pick up another.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go Sako only because thats the one I know best.No flies on the Kimber either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd encourage you to get your grubby mitts on all of them and then make the decision based off what feels best to you.

IMO you can't go wrong with any of them. I'd also consider the 70EW and a Tikka T3.

Best to you

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody else notice that the supply of Kimber Montana 84M&84Ls has dried up?

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
IC B2

M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
This is definitely going to be a big game rifle. Although extreme long range shooting probally will not happen, I like a super accurate rifle as much as the next guy.
Dober, I would like to handle each of them before dropping this kind of cash, but I live in a very rural part of a very gun hating state. With a solid day of driving I doubt I could handle all three rifles.

M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I had thought of the M-70 EW as well as the new Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, but the grip on those Bell and Carlsons is just too fat for my liking.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
On my very limited experience I would buy the Sako.

1.I've owned 3 Sako's and all would shoot 1/2 MOA with factory ammo.

2.The only bolt rifle I ever saw fail was a Browning X-Bolt.The bolt locked down after a shot with a guy shooting next to me at the range.Neither of us could get it open.I suggested he take it to a gunsmith.

The X Bolt doesn't fit me at all.I nearly miss my shoulder with just the bottom edge catching at the top of my shoulder every time I mount one fast.You really need to handle them first.

3.There are too many reports of bad or barely acceptable accuracy for me to be comfortable with the Kimber.That doesn't mean I will never own one but I will try to find a proven shooter or expect a possible barrel change.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had both a Finnlight (75) and Montana in .308 (and other Montana's).

The Finnlight will be about 1-1.5 lbs heavier than the Montana. The Finnlight barrel is about 1.5" shorter than the Montana. The Sako stock is the best injection molded stock I've ever handled...but it's still injection molded. The Montana has the best factory stock out there (IMHO). Lot's more choices in rings/base for the Kimber. I didn't care much for the Sako base/mounting system. Finnlight has a detachable mag that is very well designed...if you like detachable mags. Montana is blind mag. The Finnlight I had fed like it had eyes, smooth as silk. The Montana's I've used have been a little rougher, but no problems. I really like the trigger's on both models. I'd put $ on an out of the box Finnlight shooting tighter groups than the Montana, but after a skim bed the Montana might be pretty close...though some have had problems with the Montana (I haven't..yet).

If you replace the Finnlight stock with an Edge you're in sweet city...but that's more $'s.

I had an Extreme Weather that I put an Edge on and it was a pretty sweet rifle as well but I didn't spend much time with it.

If you want as light a rifle as possible, get the Montana. You can scope it and still be under 6 lbs. You'll have to weight the other factors to determine what's best for you....

Good luck!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was recently debating between an 85 Finnlight and an 84L Montana and went with the Kimber. The decision was based on the better stock and lighter weight of the rifle, plus I was getting a 25-06 and wanted a 24 inch barrel, and the Finnlight is 22 3/8 or something along those lines. I have not shot the Montana yet, but scoped with a Z3 it just feels so damn light, never knew what I was missing with a lightweight rifle.

I also own an A-Bolt stainless stalker that's been an excellent gun, never felt like it was heavy until I picked it up after holding the Montana. But, everything feels heavy now compared to the Montana.

IC B3

M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm suprised nobody has spoken up to recomend the X-bolt. This is the only one of the three that I have been able to handle first hand recently, and I liked what I saw. It is fairly light weight, about the same as the Finnlight, and as far as factory synthetic stocks go, its not bad, I like the Dura-coat coating. Also, I may be mistaken but I thought the Brownings were known for their accuracy, maybe not in the same leauge as the Sako, but not bad for half the price.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't have personal experience with the X-bolt, only what I've heard from others. From what I've heard, it's not in the running with either of the other two. whistle ...but again, that's second hand...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My dad has an browning abolt and it shoots and handles darn well. Took a south Texas whitetail with it last year. Doubt you'd be disappointed. I have 3 older sako's that are amazing quality for the price. Not familiar with the newer 85's. really like the kimber from what I've seen especially weight wise. I recently went with the new winchester over the kimber 84m and it hasn't disappointed. Doubt you could go wrong with any of the 3 or add the new winchester.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That a bolt has held .5 inch to .75 inch 3 shot groups with with everything we've tried.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My 300 Win Mag X-Bolt Stainless Stalker is a fine shooter. It is lightweight, nicely balanced and fits me well. My hunting buddy has the same rifle in a 338 Win Mag and a 270 and both of his are accurate as well. In fact, his 270 is a tack driver. Neither of us have had any problems with our X-Bolts and they have been to the range many times, on two elk hunts and several deer hunts over the past few years. I'd buy another X-Bolt without another thought.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My one experience with a Kimber was less than stellar, and I can't afford a sako . But my 7mm08 x bolt is just stupid accurate and it is not picky.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you can find one, I'd give the Browning Ti a serious look.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by miguel
I had thought of the M-70 EW as well as the new Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, but the grip on those Bell and Carlsons is just too fat for my liking.
I agree...............I would go with the X-Bolt here, the Kimbers are too much of a pig in a poke chance and for their price that's not acceptable, the Sako Finnlight is a very solid rifle but I don't like the clamp on scope mounting system they have, if you could find a Sako A7 stainless in .308 win (A7's use Weaver type bases that actually screw into the receiver)I think you'd love it...............Good luck.............Hb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Miguel,
I currently have a Montana 8400 (270WSM)and a 85 Finnlight (308 Win).Both are very nice.The Sako is the one I grab the most.The Sako is also a tad lighter all up.
If you ever head down to Albany(don't know why anyone would want to)I'll let you handle them.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
miguel.....Out of those three....x-bolt...but as dober suggested take a serious look at the Tikka T3. The accuracy of a T3 is beyond reproach. I've seen and shot custom rifles that wish they could shoot as well as a T3. BTW...where abouts in NY do you live???

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,286
Posts18,486,887
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.