Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

You realize tests have shown that a high velocity spitzer does as good, or better than a slow round nose in "brush cutting"?

they deflect equally? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by snubbie
Some people have NO IDEA of what an Eastern laurel/rhododendron thicket is like. As moosemike mentioned, oftentimes it requires hands and knees to get through and sometimes even then you cannot penetrate it. Old locals in the Southern Appalachains used to call them "laurel hells". Seeing 10 yards through it is, well, "optomistic".

Always amazes me how quickly game animals can run through them. That would be the one scenario where I would possibly choose a slug gun.

But this is slightly off topic to the OP. My apologies.

Sounds nearly as tough as alders.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good on you. Nice shot. Doesn't always go that way, right?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Sourdough54
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

The hunting you just described would really suck- so many people in the woods that they shoot each others animals- holy hell.

When I bear hunt, I never see a sole unless it is someone I bring with me! Bears are unmolested unless the smell me!

As I posted above I had never imagined or conceived of those kinds of hunting conditions and I�ve always hunted areas far more remote than you, (and it would also be easy to take cheap shots at someone using African cartridges on black bear), but I would never say that as it�s not my place to piddle on anyone�s parade.

Does it make you feel big to belittle someone?

Who am I belittling? I simply stated that it would suck to hunt in that environment where things were that chaotic- that is not slam on the poster, merely an observation of the situation that he is stuck with. IF I had to hunt somewhere like that, I would be using a pretty dang big rifle to anchor them at the first shot, not trying to get cute with boutique calibers like I am prone to do now!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

The hunting you just described would really suck- so many people in the woods that they shoot each others animals- holy hell.

When I bear hunt, I never see a sole unless it is someone I bring with me! Bears are unmolested unless the smell me!

As I posted above I had never imagined or conceived of those kinds of hunting conditions and I�ve always hunted areas far more remote than you, (and it would also be easy to take cheap shots at someone using African cartridges on black bear), but I would never say that as it�s not my place to piddle on anyone�s parade.

Who am I belittling? I simply stated that it would suck to hunt in that environment where things were that chaotic- that is not slam on the poster, merely an observation of the situation that he is stuck with. IF I had to hunt somewhere like that, I would be using a pretty dang big rifle to anchor them at the first shot, not trying to get cute with boutique calibers like I am prone to do now!

Think about it. I assume for MooseMike and the other Pennsylvanian hunters that posted about bear hunting it is probably one (if not THE highlight of their year).

If you don�t think that saying �The hunting you just described would really suck� isn�t judgmental or to follow up and say that it�s �merely an observation of the situation that he is stuck with� isn�t negative, you are truly clueless and lack all social skills.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
... it�s not my place to piddle on anyone�s parade.

Oh, the irony! smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender

Oh, the irony! smile

laugh

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I'll start a thread, "Can I kill a black bear with a push feed rifle, shooting a standard cartridge?" Or, "Should I throw away my .260 and get a .458?"

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's nothing, I once heard a story about a "stunt shooter" who killed a grizz with a .260.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Think about it. I assume for MooseMike and the other Pennsylvanian hunters that posted about bear hunting it is probably one (if not THE highlight of their year).

If you don�t think that saying �The hunting you just described would really suck� isn�t judgmental or to follow up and say that it�s �merely an observation of the situation that he is stuck with� isn�t negative, you are truly clueless and lack all social skills.

Wow, you must slow up the party every time you squat to piss.

Sweet Jesus, where do all you tools come from.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I think I'll start a thread, "Can I kill a black bear with a push feed rifle, shooting a standard cartridge?" Or, "Should I throw away my .260 and get a .458?"

Let me know where the pile is, I guess I have a couple to throw in that too. crazy

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Seriously? Where's all this negativity coming from? Within reason, it doesn't matter what rifle you hunt with. You shoot the rifle and caliber you like. Why all the criticism of another man's choice? It's not like any of us is arguing for light beer or white wine. Now that would be worthy of criticism.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Is there a thread on the 'fire that hasn't turned into a pissing match after 4 pages? Add something constructive or STFU!

Last edited by Bill_N; 02/13/13.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Are we talking gun or cartridge? Under what circumstances? Lots of variables but, I would suggest a bolt gun of some flavor that feeds and functions reliably and a cartridge that can reach the vitals from typical shooting angles. Was that so hard?

Now, men of Chablis, arise!

The way life should be.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by JMasters
I am planning a hunt to BC spring 2014 for black bear. We are in process of choosing a guide,(thanks for all the help with that!). I am afraid that my Rem 700 .270 is not enough gun, so, any opinions on what caliber would be the best. I am thinking of future big game, ie moose, maybe grizzly, possible mountain goat or sheep. I know that there is no magic gun for all of those situations, but what would be your suggestions?? I appreciate the help! Jeff

There has been lots of back and forth on what is or isn't enough gun for bear. Since you feel that your 270 isn't enough gun I tend to think you have reason within your personal experiance to feel that way. My suggestion to you is to use a rifle that YOU are sure is enough gun. I've told ya what I use and I'm SURE it is enough gun and not mearly adequate. It will take any black bear that you may encounter. Black bear can be BIG. Meet a 400, or 600 pond plus boar and your rifle will feel even smaller. Close up with 200 pound bear any rifle might feel smaller when face to face and lastly you need to find the bear after the shot. Choose wisely and whatever you choose make it one that you have no doubts about. Choose a rifle and cal that you are completely confident is up to the task rather than adequate to it. Lastly choose a rifle that will do the job when something goes a little wrong this way or that. We all know that perfect shot placement is key but as for myself I can say that I've not always achieved perfection im not perfect and then there is wind and of course lots of things that can cause deflection. Some say bear die easy, others disagree. Better to cover all of your bases just in case.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I had no problem with what he said. While our style of hunting is a lot of fun there are simply too many people in the woods and it does suck a lot of the time. Especially since we only get a 4 day rifle season and that's only since the last 2 years, before that it was a 3 day rifle season. I much prefer hunting out west where I can get some elbow room and see more than a hundred yards.

All I can say about PA is there is always the chance to shoot a 600-800 pound bear. Usually only half a dozen of those get shot in a given year though.

Last edited by moosemike; 02/13/13.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Well said Adirondack, another get problem as some addressed is the country one hunts..the heavy swamp country of Mich. or Canada would make following a blood trail very difficult, while in the more open country of the west it could be achieved more easily..When we hunted Canada for bear many years ago, the guide we were with complained about the numbers of bears missed..I got a shot at medium sized bear about an hour before dark..the shot was across a field maybe 175 yards..I used an 06 with 165 grain Serria HPBT..At the shot the bear ran across the field toward my side...I shot again, just before he hit the timber, but as I shot, I could see him falling..the first shot was good, but had he whirled and ran into the swamp from which he came, we might never have found him..he sure covered alot of ground in just a few seconds...As I grew older and hunted more, I began to realize many of those bear were hit, and ran..Tracking was tough due to the area, the shots usually came right at or just before dark..To me these are things we need to consider when selecting a rifle..and the bullets that go in it..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Well said Adirondack, another get problem as some addressed is the country one hunts..the heavy swamp country of Mich. or Canada would make following a blood trail very difficult, while in the more open country of the west it could be achieved more easily..When we hunted Canada for bear many years ago, the guide we were with complained about the numbers of bears missed..I got a shot at medium sized bear about an hour before dark..the shot was across a field maybe 175 yards..I used an 06 with 165 grain Serria HPBT..At the shot the bear ran across the field toward my side...I shot again, just before he hit the timber, but as I shot, I could see him falling..the first shot was good, but had he whirled and ran into the swamp from which he came, we might never have found him..he sure covered alot of ground in just a few seconds...As I grew older and hunted more, I began to realize many of those bear were hit, and ran..Tracking was tough due to the area, the shots usually came right at or just before dark..To me these are things we need to consider when selecting a rifle..and the bullets that go in it..

That's the thing. The fat on a bear clogs the holes up and he doesn't usually leave a great blood trail.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

That's the thing. The fat on a bear clogs the holes up and he doesn't usually leave a great blood trail.

That's true. Of the 3 I've shot the one mentioned earlier was the only one that didn't run but the others were shot with an arrow. Even so the blood trail was light. For that reason I'd go with a bigger caliber for a dedicated bear rifle. The 338 Federal would be a good choice and it would handle the other species mentioned.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by ironbender

Oh, the irony! smile

Where�s the irony in asking someone to be civil. Many posters on here due to job, family and financial constraints don�t have the good fortune to live and hunt where others of us have been blessed to. Our good fortune doesn�t give us the right to run them down.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 42 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,223
Posts18,504,236
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.