Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Another option may be an MSR Twin Brothers. I've always wanted to check one out.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If you have something dialed like Lanche does by all means use it and stick with it. The LBO was not made to replace an SL tent as a point product, it's intent was more the ultimate in flexibility and it is much more flexible. Here are a few distinctions in comparison to Alaska Lanche's setup. This is by no means meant to be a sales pitch, just some important distinctions.

Our nest is different. It zips completely open, so if flying insects are not much of an issue, then you can leave it open and get the double wall protection but still have a very easy entrance and exit. Our nest also uses a DWR on 3 sides and can withstand light rain , mist and snow on it's own. We've slept on the coast of BC in nests alone in a light mist and were fine. In freezing weather they may condensate a little but it dissipates instead of dripping.

The LBO is a bit different than the SL series and part of this is due to the zipper orientation. The base can be pitched at it's main height , or lower like a tarp and will provide pretty good 3 sided protection. The Base and vestibule has similar square footage to a SL3 but IMO has a better sleeping orientation. When used with a nest that orientation is fine for couples or those that are fine being close. When sleeping the other orientation it allows both individuals to exit and enter without crawling over the other. I most often use this setup, but not pitched fully enclosed. I usually use it with a 7/8 coverage as if it had 3 panel but I only had two. I do this by just using a lower center height. This provides coverage from most directions and good summer ventilation and is large enough for two men and some gear. I've also used the vestibule more as an awning before due to space limitations when there was not the real estate to even pitch the LBO and vest.

The LBO with two bases, is much closer SL5 size, although for weight the SL wins by a a couple / three ounces and probably feels a tad bigger. The dual side zips though give the LBO easier exit / entrance and more possible ventilation as well.

The LBO with two bases and a center tarp, is probably more like a SL6 or large twin brothers I think it is. It allows a nest in each end or long ways sleeping as well. The side zips give everyone a entrance and exit when there are 4 people. Once again no fusing over someone. Since the sides can be pulled up and used as an awning it makes for a nice summertime gathering / cooking area, where the bases are primarily sleeping areas. When we used it at hunting camp in Oct , we just opened the side during the day and walked in went in freely grabbing gear, cooking, etc and then at night we zipped it and ran the stove.

You can also run variations of the tarp and vestibules together, which is a pretty nice two man setup with a stove. In this setup the stove jack is in the center of the tarp, and each person has an exit / entrance as well gear storage in the vestibules. The zippers are not fully covered in this orientation.

So , it does have some similarities to the SL, and the tipi's etc. It just has some big distinctions as well that at least in my opinion, make it a very livable shelter.
Kevin

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very well thought out bfeakdown Kevin...pretty much mirrors my thoughts as well. That LBO is a versatile little bugger. would love to use one for solo stuff for sure.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (007FJ, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 270wsmnutt, 51 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,159
Posts18,523,475
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.