Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
WOW, this sounds like me an bubba went down the road and shot this here bear! First of all, just like Justin Wilson would answer what kind of wine should I serve for dinner? "Serve the wine you like."
So first of all shoot the rifle you like! Shoot it well, and know the anatomy of the animal and have a plan for harvesting it. Second choose a bullet that is reccomended for hunting and has a Sectional Density of .25 or greater. Finally, try to have 1500 foot pounds of energy at the range of impact or greater! Shoot to kill! Things to ponder, If you hit the shoulder and explode the brachial plexus nerve bundle, (A junction of Cranial nerves and such) you will optimize the bullets shock effect in the energy it possess.Then if the bullet is built to penetrate it will go into the lungs and cause the lungs to fill with blood.Then you will soon have three holes for the blood to come out. That would be the shoulder and two nostrils if the animal is still alive and breathing. It will also be running away on three legs if it can run at all. Good Luck.

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/14/13.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am sorry I meant sectional density of .25. A 150 grain hornady interlock will have a sectional density of .279 and should have over 1500 foot pounds at 400 yds. That is in the 270 caliber.That is with a muzzel velocity of 2900 fps or so. Under 250 yds it should be fine.

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/14/13.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've seen more than Bitterdough in the last 6 months in Tennessee...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Sourdough54
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Originally Posted by Okanagan

(This topic reminds me of sheep hunting in grizzly country: a sheep is easy to kill and doesn't require a .338, but that is what most sheep hunters in Northern BC were carrying. The purpose for the .338 wasn't to kill sheep but for a secondary reason. Ditto for larger calibers on black bear in thick brushy country with no dirt to leave tracks: the purpose is not killing power but the secondary reason of tracking/finding power.)

This is why I hunt elk and moose with my 338wm.

And I carried a .338 Win hunting deer solo and packing meat on Admiralty Island. Arguably the densest population brown population in the world, one per square mile (once you subtract out the uninhabitable portion (the bare rock in the mountains) the number exceeds far one brown bear per square mile). But some of our friends in Montana (that don�t even live in grizzly country) are bullies and pretend to know it all. That island is one quarter the size of a county in Montana, but has more brown/grizzly bears than the entire lower 48.

I'll bet I've been around and seen more grizzly bears than you have.....

Yeah, that's a pretty short limb to go out on. grin grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895
WOW, this sounds like me an bubba went down the road and shot this here bear! First of all, just like Justin Wilson would answer what kind of wine should I serve for dinner? "Serve the wine you like."
So first of all shoot the rifle you like! Shoot it well, and know the anatomy of the animal and have a plan for harvesting it. Second choose a bullet that is reccomended for hunting and has a Sectional Density of .25 or greater. Finally, try to have 1500 foot pounds of energy at the range of impact or greater! Shoot to kill! Things to ponder, If you hit the shoulder and explode the brachial plexus nerve bundle, (A junction of Cranial nerves and such) you will optimize the bullets shock effect in the energy it possess.Then if the bullet is built to penetrate it will go into the lungs and cause the lungs to fill with blood.Then you will soon have three holes for the blood to come out. That would be the shoulder and two nostrils if the animal is still alive and breathing. It will also be running away on three legs if it can run at all. Good Luck.

Do you write for Field & Stream? Something about the above seems familiar.

Thanks

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I am sorry I meant sectional density of .25. A 150 grain hornady interlock will have a sectional density of .279 and should have over 1500 foot pounds at 400 yds. That is in the 270 caliber.That is with a muzzel velocity of 2900 fps or so. Under 250 yds it should be fine.

Could be Outdoor Life.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I retract my earlier statement. I just finished some dry fire practice with my 375. That's what I'd use.

The way life should be.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just go shoot a damn bear and tell us about it!

Most of us who have posted have never hunted bears in PA. You will have to be the judge of what will work! I know I wouldn't use a 22 LR on a PA bear hunt! I might even use my Lott! Then again, I don't see myself every hunting bears in PA.

To the OP, if you ever want to come hunt bears in AZ ( season is usually months long and tags are OTC), PM me and I will hook you up!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry I do not write for Outdoor life:
But the thing I am trying to say is; that is exactly why there are different weights for bullets and different amounts and types of powders to put in the brass. The 270 can shoot a huge variation in bullets and powder charges. So can most calibers of rifles. I suggest the more a person is educated in that fact, the less Gun Safes one will need to have.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JMasters, most of the fellas up here swear by the Ruger, and for good reason. But if I were to have an clean slate for a 338 build it would be thus.
Action: long action Stiller Precision, Montana if controlled feed is your preference (or any custom that floats your boat) standard bolt face.
Stock: McMillan Hunter Edge(my personal favorite), blind magazine.
Barrel: Custom, take your pick, but 22 inch is my Max.
Trigger: take your pick, but from what I understand the shilen has the fewest moving parts for Remington actions.
Caliber: 338-06AIor 35 WheelenAI,
Scope: Leupold 2-7 ultra light or fixed 4X
Rings: Tally light weight.
That would be the rout I would go if I did not already have a 358 Norma. You could do it a whole lot cheaper with out all the custom parts.

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Great idea... mine would be a Defiance Machine short action, Benchmark stainless barrel at 22 inches, chambered in .338 Federal, with a McMillan stock, Zeiss Duralyt 2-8x42 scope, and Shilen stainless trigger.

J
OP Offline
J
My gun safe is small, so your advice souds like a winner. Thanks!

J
OP Offline
J
Yes sir, what would a rifle built to these specs cost me??

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Price? That's a good point. You could get a Tikka T3 in .338 Federal for a quarter the price. The bear would never know the difference. But it's fun to dream....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
This is my Black Bear rifle,for a hunt in Arizona in November.
[Linked Image]
CZ 550 American 7x57 with a 4x Zeiss.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by snubbie
It's kinda like being the new guy in a long established deer camp coming in and telling the old timers in camp that you don't approve of their card playing or bourbon drinking.

Dang, you mean that's why I never get invited back??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
[Linked Image]

That will work!

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Custom action: $950+
Barrel: $320+
Stock: $550+
Trigger: $120+
Smith: $225+
Or
Action: $450 Remington
Barrel: send it to Heart $700, heart did my 358 and they do really good work.
Stock: $100 Boyts

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
[Linked Image]

That will work!
Thanks Dennisinaz,going to work on handloads for it now. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I killed a couple of bulls and bears with my 7-08 and loaned it to a couple of hunters in camp that came less than prepared. Favorite bullet for elk is the 154 Hornady.

NRA Benefactor Member

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 40 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,223
Posts18,504,259
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.