Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Big_Bullseye
It's funny cumminscowboy that you mentioned resale as that was a point I made to a friend this morning. Well taken care of high end optics hold a lot of their value when it comes to resale whereas others just don't.

Bingo! I noticed early on Doug's Vortex prices go in half when the new line comes out which you never see with Swarovski optics.

I HAD a new pair of vortex Razor 12x50 (2 years ago) and Kaibab's 15x56 (this year) both of were nice glass but I sold them soon after the hunt I bought them for was over. Didnt wait for their value to drop!!

Ted
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sorry JG, I don't buy 3x9 scopes as I have no need for them. I have cheap Leupolds in 3x9 I bought years ago when they made good scopes. I am a varmint hunter and don't hunt big game.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I got their little 6 x 32 bino, cannot remember the model number, its perfect a lot of the times where I hunt, and its light. I looked thru one of their scopes early on and did not care for it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I remember long ago when I finally afforded myself my first Leupold varix III. I was [bleep] in high fricken cotton. It was the best in the world. Why? Cause it was mine and I paid "big money" for it.

A common theme whenever a Vortex topic comes up is that "they are good for the money" and I agree that they are.
But.....for the commodity shopper that makes decisions solely on price are settling for a good they can afford OR that is "good enough" for the price they are willing to pay.

Like I said before, Vortex has feature rich scopes depending on the model but the glass just isn't there. It is mundane and boring, comparable to all the other scopes in their price class . The high dollar tac scope is an exception.

I have a friend that is a dealer and I can buy anything vortex for dealer cost and I choose not to. I have seen enough samples to know I will save my $ and buy something better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only Vortex I own is a Diamondback in 4-12x40. For the 2 bills I paid for it I couldn't be happier.

I've compared it directly to a Burris FFII, and a Leupold VX-II, and it gave up nothing to either one. Low light performance versus the Burris was dramatically in favor of the Vortex.

I have it on a .243, so it doesn't get hit very hard, but I haven't needed to remove a turret cap in the three years+ since I mounted and zero'd it. Not sure what else I can ask from it.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
WTF NSAQAM?

What possess someone like you who, bragged that you voted for Obama twice, campaigned for anti second amendment politicians, supports firearms bans and registration, magazine bans and, confiscation to come and post on a firearms forum?

Is this a joke?

Originally Posted by nsaqam
Originally Posted by GeoW
Think there must be a hefty profit margin on the Vortex as certain dealers really push them.

I rate them with Tasco, Simmons, Swift, etc. Just another Chinese scope that is being branded Vortex and advertised to the hilt.

Geo

My Viper ain't Chinese and it's miles above the crap scopes you mentioned with regard to just about everything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Viper HS LR glass is at least on par with my Elite and my new VX-2 and that ain't a bad place to be.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I tested a Viper 4-16x extensively and found it an excellent scope, and not just for the money. The glass was right in there with Leupold VX-3's and Zeiss Conquests. The adjustments did exactly what they were supposed to, and were firm and easily heard, even by my somewhat worn ears.

The scope also has some pretty nifty features, such as an adjustable zero-stop, and reticle subtension marks alongside the magnification numbers on the power ring. I like it a lot.

There's a difference between actually testing a scope and looking through one in a sporting goods store.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
MD,

Do you recall which model that was? Seems they make about 1,000 different "Viper 4-16X" scopes.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

There's a difference between actually testing a scope and looking through one in a sporting goods store.

Could not agree more. All I hear from people is that "the glass looked good" and I think we all know that is not the end all when it comes to scopes, especially variables. Erectors, how well it is sealed up and its repeatability to shoot the 4" square reliably and accurately.

I'm certain for the money these are good scopes and it will be interesting to see how they hold up 20 years from now with the guys who get out and shoot frequently and test their gear under adverse conditions. Even though I went with a Zeiss I am sure there will be other opportunities to buy one and I likely will.

Doveryai no Proveryai

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

4-14x44 HS LR.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thank you sir!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I hear a lot of talk about how good Vortex is for the money...I don't know 3-9 Viper is $299. For that price I could have A Leupold VX-2 or a Weaver Grand Slam, both proven scopes with exceptional glass. I just don't see the draw of the Vortex.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I could not wait till I could afford a "REAL SCOPE".... LEUPOLD !! I have faithfully used Leupolds and had never had a problem.... till I bought a new 4 1/2X14. Junk right out of the box. Had to send it in and it took 2 months to get it back. Works fine now and I love it. Was looking for a good scope to put on my wife's 223 and didn't want to spend too much money and I bought a new NIKON 6X18 and it was junk right out of the box. Took 3 months to get it back and had to borrow another scope for the Pdoggin trip. Works fine now. Bought a new {then} Vortex Viper and it has been on 2 22-250s and now sits on my 280 AI and am shooting gongs all over the place.... running the turrets all over the place. UP.... down and back up. One day we shot to check "O" at 200 yards and then walked the gongs out to 600 yards and walked them back down to "O" and the last shot went in the same hole as the first. TRACKING seems to be OK, huh ?? Glass is as good as any of my VX2s or 3s. EVERYBODY pretty much buys and uses everybodys parts from all over the world to make their products anymore and as long as they do what they are supposed to do I guess I don't care anymore. I wish they were made in the USA but what is anymore ?? I really like my Leupolds and will buy another one someday. I will never buy another NIKON. Playing with their CS just pissed me off. But, I will probably NOT ever sell this Vortex and if they would offer a 1/8 minute target dot in a 6 1/2 X20 power or better yet a 8 to 32 with the dot in it I would be all over it. If spending 4 times as much as I did for my scope for you to think you got a better scope... go for it. I'm betting Vortex is here for the long haul. I just hope they don't ZIESS it up and price us out of some good scopes.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ackley33806
I could not wait till I could afford a "REAL SCOPE".... LEUPOLD !! I have faithfully used Leupolds and had never had a problem.... till I bought a new 4 1/2X14. Junk right out of the box. Had to send it in and it took 2 months to get it back. Works fine now and I love it. Was looking for a good scope to put on my wife's 223 and didn't want to spend too much money and I bought a new NIKON 6X18 and it was junk right out of the box. Took 3 months to get it back and had to borrow another scope for the Pdoggin trip. Works fine now. Bought a new {then} Vortex Viper and it has been on 2 22-250s and now sits on my 280 AI and am shooting gongs all over the place.... running the turrets all over the place. UP.... down and back up. One day we shot to check "O" at 200 yards and then walked the gongs out to 600 yards and walked them back down to "O" and the last shot went in the same hole as the first. TRACKING seems to be OK, huh ?? Glass is as good as any of my VX2s or 3s. EVERYBODY pretty much buys and uses everybodys parts from all over the world to make their products anymore and as long as they do what they are supposed to do I guess I don't care anymore. I wish they were made in the USA but what is anymore ?? I really like my Leupolds and will buy another one someday. I will never buy another NIKON. Playing with their CS just pissed me off. But, I will probably NOT ever sell this Vortex and if they would offer a 1/8 minute target dot in a 6 1/2 X20 power or better yet a 8 to 32 with the dot in it I would be all over it. If spending 4 times as much as I did for my scope for you to think you got a better scope... go for it. I'm betting Vortex is here for the long haul. I just hope they don't ZIESS it up and price us out of some good scopes.

Can't say I disagree with almost everything in your post, almost. Especially the part about spending 4 times as much to make yourself feel better part - because now your trying to compare a Vortex to scopes like Nightforce and S&B and Leica's and so on which is not even reasonably debatable. I would say that my Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 on my 338 Lapua has more than a significant edge on any Vortex. And yes that is one scope that I own that I will say with confidence that was worth the money. I thought my ONE Swarovski that I bought used was a top of the line scope until I got my Nightforce.

As far as Nikon, I had a Pro Staff on a rimfire that didn't get shot much and I sold the gun with the scope on it. It worked fine for me but I have friends that have had monarchs and had serious strange issues with them and they had major issues with their CS and getting things lined out. I have more Leupold's than anything just solely because probably like you early on before I got a bit more educated on what else was out there I thought that Leupold was the end all be all scope. I have never sent a Leupold back and I just put 2 VX2 6-18X40's on two CZ varmints and while they have not been proven yet in the field so far they seem to be OK and I got them on a major sale (I seem to be able to find deals when I need a scope).

Doveryai no Proveryai

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not saying you can't find a better scope than the Vortex but it is going to hurt to get one, ha !! I have a set of Sworo SLCs and they are VERY nice. I just wonder if we actually NEED the very best there is. I guess that is a personal thing. I was redoing old guns and the shop was doing well at the time when I bought the SLCs so I bought them. If I was rich I might be shooting the high priced spread But I doubt that the doe I shot at last light at 485 yards would have said " You can't shoot me !! That scope didn't cost enuf !!YA, Leupolds and my Vortex... and that nikon... are the only brands I have. They seem to get me by just fine. I can go shoot Pdogs for 5 days for the difference in price of the Vortex and the Zeiss.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
ackley33806

You really make a lot of sense in your posts. I've had a dozen Leupolds and liked them fine. Could I buy a VariX III with the same power as my Vortex, the answer is yes I could afford it. But, do I need more quality than the Vortex, to shoot Rockchucks at 500 yards? No, I don't think so.

New people in the shooting field may think that x brand is a good, well advertised brand and it may be. But if one is doing their research, they will find there are good middle class scopes that are excellent values.

In fact, I have a Tasco that when mounted on a varmint gun, has shot more than it's share of varmints. Bought 15 years ago, it is now a back up scope and it was cheap at the time.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I've only got two Vortex scopes. Both 2-7x32 Vipers. One's been on my M98 9.3x62 for over 3yrs. The other one has been on everthing from a .243 up to a light weight .300 (it's on a .25-06 now). Nary a problem.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've had a 2-7x32 Viper for 3 years now. It's been on two rifles and now is on a turkey shotgun. Nary a problem to report. I found the image to be fantastic at that price point - as good as some $500.00 scopes.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ackley33806
Not saying you can't find a better scope than the Vortex but it is going to hurt to get one, ha !! I have a set of Sworo SLCs and they are VERY nice. I just wonder if we actually NEED the very best there is. I guess that is a personal thing. I was redoing old guns and the shop was doing well at the time when I bought the SLCs so I bought them. If I was rich I might be shooting the high priced spread But I doubt that the doe I shot at last light at 485 yards would have said " You can't shoot me !! That scope didn't cost enuf !!YA, Leupolds and my Vortex... and that nikon... are the only brands I have. They seem to get me by just fine. I can go shoot Pdogs for 5 days for the difference in price of the Vortex and the Zeiss.

Ackley,

But with your and my way of thinking. Some would not be able to sheepishly let us know that theirs cost more than our's. whistle whistle whistle laugh

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (1lesfox, 1Longbow, 257 mag, 1936M71, 160user, 2500HD, 31 invisible), 12,273 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,234
Posts18,544,195
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.