Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#7474846 02/22/13
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for advice. I've hunted the Gravelly Range, mostly around the Black Butte area a few times with some success. Lately, it has been over run with quads, and wolves. I hunt with a group of 3 other guys, all in good shape and able to hike / pack an elk, lets say, 5-10 miles a day. I'm thinking of trying either the Crazies, or Little Belts. I'm sure both get pressured as well. I would also entertain going back to the gravellys if someone could point me into a better non motorized area. I have maps and will be doing my own research, just looking for comparisons as to what I may find.
PM me if you prefer not to post.
Thanks

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
PM sent

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Gravely's are worked hard.

Attached Images
out numbered.JPG (68.36 KB, 333 downloads)
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've hunted the Gravelly range and the Little Belts and would be hard pressed to tell you there are fewer quads in the Belts. Probably fewer wolves though, then again, there are fewer elk too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Little Belts are overrun with 4 wheelers and dirt bikes. Absolutely no enforcement of USFS regulations in re: to ATVs on horse trails and closed roads. My camp was robbed while I was gone one day in the Little Belts also. Not my first choice for an elk hunting spot. Without doubt the least enjoyable place in MT that I've hunted.

IC B2

JMG Offline
Granted the Gravelly Range does experience a lot of hunting pressure the first week of the rifle season, but after that the vast majority of hunters go home to never return.

Hunting opening day (if you can stand the number of hunters in the field) does have its advantages and disadvantages. It does move the elk around the whole day. I have been fortunate enough to shoot two bulls in the last three years in the Gravallys and I just walk into an area and hunted it. If it doesn't work opening day, you can go back into it becasue there is a good chance the elk may have been "pushed/pressured" into the area overnite.

Wolves were spotted (again) around Black Butte this last season (2012), so they are back and their impact will be felt. But, now we can hunt them, as well. Two or three years ago the Feds killed the entire pack in the Gravallys, because they were killing livestock (sheep) and they were absent for a couple of years. IMO, it is just a matter of time before the wolves kill livestock again and when they do . . . they will be "removed" of the Feds. But, hopefully now that hunters can help manage the population this will help matters.

The Little Belts does have it share of ATV users, some law abiding and some that are not. The Little Belts have ATV designated trails. It is a good place to go ride your ATV. I'm not an advid ATV rider, but it is nice to have designated trails.

JMG
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info fellas. I was hoping that the little belts would be a better choice as I am planning on the deer combo tag and from what I see, they have a better deer population. I wouldnt mind hunting the Gravellys again, especially with a wolf tag in my pocket...

For those who have hunted the Gravellys: Do you think the elk get pushed primarily onto private land when pressured or just head to the dark timber within the range?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Having a wolf tag should be mandatory for all hunters, (my opinion).
I live at the base of the Gravelly's (for 20+ years) and it has changed over time.

The advent of ATV's and Wolves has had effect.
During Archery, ATV's are everywhere scouting/hunting animals.
It tends to force the elk to the hayfields, (no pressure).

The GR is still a large piece of ground and there are some pockets that can be alot of fun.

Cottonwood Creek is a nice area too, (south of the Ruby res.)

Attached Images
DSCN9377.JPG (90.33 KB, 285 downloads)
DSCN8085.jpg (87.99 KB, 312 downloads)
JMG Offline
Also remember there are a fair number of Grizzlies in the Gravally's. There have been a number of bowhunters mauled by G. Bears the last several years. So, be "Bear Aware".

JMG
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's the truth about Griz.
The West Fork and Standard Creek area was hard on Bow Hunters.

It has been written here many times, if you hike a mile from the road/trail you can usually find some elky spots.

Last year the Federal Trapper was busy 'controlling' problems in the GR...and that's good.

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
shot ya a pm

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
So when you apply In my do you apply for the region like 3 or down to the county number

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Still waiting on a reply from MT F&W, but Im almost set on the Crazies, terrain doesn't look to bad (compared to the Selway), Elk numbers look good, hunter numbers dont look to bad for those willing to put in some leg work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Apparition
Still waiting on a reply from MT F&W, but Im almost set on the Crazies, terrain doesn't look to bad (compared to the Selway), Elk numbers look good, hunter numbers dont look to bad for those willing to put in some leg work.

Are you looking a Guided or DIY hunt?

The east side of the Crazies has very limited public access (only Big Timber Cr Canyon, and it's very steep), and I believe all elk tags are only available through a drawing.

There is one public access point on the south side of the Crazies, and 3 on the west side. All the trails in the Crazies are foot and horse travel only during hunting seasons.

Most of the canyons in the Crazies have very steep sideslopes. The North end of the Crazies is more gentle, but I don't know anything about the portion of it on the Lewis and Clark Forest.

In the NW corner of the Crazies, there is pretty good access in the upper shields river area from the Shields loop road, but there aren't many maintained trails. Most of that country isn't overly steep.

I haven't hunted the Crazies in many years, but there used to be some pretty good bulls there.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
DIY, Im used to steep, used to hunt the selway in Idaho, nothing like climbing 3500' and only going a horizontal half mile ugh!. Looking at both sides, all depends on what my hunting buddies want to do.

"All the trails in the Crazies are foot and horse travel only during hunting seasons" is that including archery season?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"All the trails in the Crazies are foot and horse travel only during hunting seasons" is that including archery season?

My guess would be yes, they are closed. You would have to check the current Gallatin NF Travel maps. Mine are from 2003 and they show the trails as closed. It is rare that the Forest Service removes restrictions from roads or trails.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DIY, Im used to steep, used to hunt the selway in Idaho, nothing like climbing 3500' and only going a horizontal half mile ugh!. Looking at both sides, all depends on what my hunting buddies want to do.

NO.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So, as this forum has shifted to the Crazies, would it be safe to assume that this would be a better place to focus our efforts?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can tell you that with wolves, cats, bears, and urban infringement on what we had left of winter range, NW Montana sure as hell isn't your huckleberry.

That's my neighborhood, and I'll be hunting with my brother over in The Breaks (arhcery) if I draw a permission.

My bow season efforts this year (besides Breaks if I draw) will be focused on antelope and treestands for deer.

I've pretty much decided Elk around here is an epic waste of my time, except for the backpacking and camping.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
So, as this forum has shifted to the Crazies, would it be safe to assume that this would be a better place to focus our efforts?

I hunt the crazies for elk. I've scored 2 out of the last 3 seasons..

You will find a lot less competition during archery, but the critters are pretty smart and have learned what to do to stay alive.

The more open areas will have a lot of pressure during rifle, and if you scout a head of time, can use the pressure to move elk into your position.

The thicker, north facing drain ages will hold elk, for a reason, but you can pretty much forget spot and stalk in these areas. You will find less pressure, because its pretty thick and nasty with lots of blowdowns, but the wind needs to be perfect to get into the feeding, bedding and wallows. You can spend hours still hunting into a hot spot and blow all the elk out of the drainage with one swirl of the wind or shift in direction.

If you're bow hunting these north facing drainages, forget calling. Don't even try it, you'll blow the elk out and just call in some other dopes.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,459
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.