Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Marine Tex or Devcon. I have avoided Acra stuff since I found the others. I like the Devcon liquid aluminum a lot more than I should.

What does it mean when the primers fall out of the case?
HR IC

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've used accraglass and the gel, marine tex, and devcon. They all work, but I like marine tex.

PS, regular accraglass (non-gel) is too runny unless you need something to flow into tight places......

PSS, the first thing I'd do to prepare a factory tupperware stock is.......get another stock

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Devcon Plasti-Steel. Good stuff.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I say Acraglas, I mean Acraglas Gel. I haven't used plain Acraglas or even know anybody that uses it since the gel came out. I haven't used old Acraglas in over 20 years.

Bedding a tupperware stock will help, but it is not as easy to do,nor as effective as a wood stock. They started putting those aluminum blocks in those stocks for a reason; and they will also benefit from a skimming of bedding as well.

You have to make rough spots, holes, pockets, recesses, and undercuts to hold the bedding in the tupper ware stock.

Last edited by sbrmike; 03/01/13. Reason: ambiguity

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Acraglass is the absolute worst bedding epoxy ever created. Very short work time and is messy and runny. If you are going to bed a action in a quality manner use this stuff. It will make your life easier

http://www.scorehi.com/epoxy-pillar.htm#Pro-Bed 2000

Now that said for a factory stock...rough up the area to be bedded(lug). get a small torch and hit the rough area for a few seconds to burn off oil , wipe with acetone and use steel bed. That should hold up for the amount of time it takes for you to come to your senses and buy a real stock for the rifle. laugh Those tupperware stocks are too flexible for any non reinforced epoxy .
I don't put that much thought in to it, but I've not found an issue with Acraglas gel yet. I do like to spend more time shooting than tinkering, though.

Use Probed 2000 and get back to me

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
People that have to grind out Acra products should realize that they are like bondo in odor and more than likely a polyester product. Devcon Steel and Aluminum are actually hard products on dremel drums if you want to clean up an area. I have gone as far as using JB Weld when I didn't have Plasti Steel Devcon on a 10-22. The Liquid Aluminum is runny as hell, much like the origional Acra Glass.

What does it mean when the primers fall out of the case?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Suicycle
Marine Tex or Devcon. I have avoided Acra stuff since I found the others.

I used AcraGlass, once, about 25 years ago. Haven't messed with it since. sick

I started using Marine-Tex and have been 100% satisfied with it, in a bunch of rifles.

But recently I ran out, was ordering some other stuff, and needed a bit more to reach a price threshold for a discount to take effect. I looked for some Marine-Tex, but could only find DevCon instead, so.... a pound is on the way. I'm sure I'll be perfectly happy with it as well.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I like the devcon in the 1lb tub, The thick stuff is easy to use and seems to wear less than some of the softer stuff when removing the action from the stock frequently.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Steel bed

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For the last 20 years I have been using a local product called Armagrout...it can be coloured with cement dye powder.

Never had a problem with it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 Smokepole. I will typicallly look to replace a factory synthetic.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If you use acraglas ( and I use it by the quart) it can be thickened by the use of various media. Chopped glass fibers are not bad. I just chop up insulation batting. There are various thickening powders which also work well but don't provide the re-inforcement of the glass fibers. Having said all this, I think the Gel is a better choice for the plastic stocks because of it's flexibility. Nothing works all that well though. I have bedded a bunch of them but always tell the customer he's wasting his money and I believe this to be the case. GD

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
used to use steel bed all the time. Have Devcon now for the last few.

Knowing how runny acraglass is, and what its basically made of, including the gel, it was probably a start at the time, but I don't ride a horse to work these days so I get with the program and try to use something a bit more proven and modern.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Tom264
Devcon 10110

+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probed

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Devcon 10110. Just about everything else pales, though Marine-Tex is nearly as good.

Chris
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The reason I quit using Devcon was that it degraded when in contact with Hoppes #9 (with nitro benzene)while Acraglas did not. Acraglas gel also degraded with Hoppes. GD

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use Score High Pro-Bed 2000, Brownells Steel Bed Kit, JB Weld on flimso-plastic stocks and Bell & Carlson Medalist stocks, and any of the Devcon stuff if I can find it. Even used some white boat repair epoxy that cures underwater colored with the last of a colorant tube. If you want to bed your rifle at a pool party, this last stuff is for you. Reminder that if you have giant fumble finger hands like mine, that smears of dried epoxy is removable with Jasco Paint Remover, or Methylene Chloride.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for acra gel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Devcon 10110

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (2500HD, 160user, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 30 invisible), 1,788 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,493,023
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.