Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Maybe, but I will wait to see how he votes the next time a 2a case comes up.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just don't see it. I've got several friends with small businesses that are really going to be strapped implementing Obamacare.

In my view, what Roberts did was pull the fuse out of one stick of dynamite in a wagon carrying 3 tons of the stuff.

Crafty? maybe, but that's going to be small comfort for my firends bottom line when they start having to pony up or pay the fines on a bad plan that Mr. Roberts helped send their way...

Legal and Just don't always walk hand in hand.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RISJR
That's the point. It IS a TAX. Just because Obama says it's not doesn't make it so. If you read the majority opinion you will find that what Roberts did was actually pretty smart. He was able to get the liberal wing of the court to restrict congressional power under the commerce clause. LINK
=============

Precisely. Many will see the wisdom behind all that Roberts accomplished with his ruling only as time passes and the problems facing this administration because of Robert's ruling actually kick into play.

By the end of this year or the 1st quarter of 2014, Roberts is going to become a lot brighter to many folks.
Thus speaks the king of compromise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back to the subject at hand,

The undeniable fact of what happened in that court with Obamacare is more than enough reason for us not to want them to get their hands on the 2A in any meaningful way.

Do you guys really trust that court to uphold our freedoms regarding the 2nd amendment when they have cow-towed to this administrations wishes in the past?

Do you believe that there will not be some sort of restrictions placed on gun ownership with the administration breathing down their necks and the media playing up every kid that's been killed with a firearm over the last 100 years?

I guess ya'll have a little more faith in SCOTUS than I do...

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
It's way above your skill-set,lightweight.

Your ability to think outside a box is on the same sub-par level as your analogy epic fails.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

The undeniable fact of what happened in that court with Obamacare is more than enough reason for us not to want them to get their hands on the 2A in any meaningful way.

===============

Heller and McDonald were meaningful ways,imo.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

===============

Nice that they did the right thing, but that's no guarantee of future protection IMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

===============

Nice that they did the right thing, but that's no guarantee of future protection IMO.

So New York should just live with the SAFE Act??

Those of us in 10th Circuit should be happy with the latest CCW ruling???

Maybe we should wait until O gets to replace another of the conservative Justices and then bring a case??

This really is the best chance in my lifetime of settling the issue in a favorable manner. Understand that the worst that could happen is an unconstitutional law would stand.

SCOTUS does not make new laws just knocks them down.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Scalia's the man.

Our country's very survival depends on his continued leadership and good judgement. IMO, he's as historically significant as ANY of the founding fathers of this great country....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

They make law (not prescribed by the Constitution), every time the Congress doesn't...

Does Roe v. Wade ring any bells?

Also, "Once and for all" and a Court ruling just don't belong in the same sentence....

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

Maybe we should wait until O gets to replace another of the conservative Justices and then bring a case??

This really is the best chance in my lifetime of settling the issue in a favorable manner. Understand that the worst that could happen is an unconstitutional law would stand.

This is the crux of it. SCOTUS is going to be making some key 2A rulings that are going to shape the landscape forever.

If we are lucky we can have the court as it stands now make them or we can wait until Scalia is replaced by a another Sotomyer and then make the rulings.

Better we get what we can, now, set in decision.

Frankly if the court could invalidate the NYS law and make mention of several of the key issues in the law, and then find a case that applies full faityh and credit to carry. we would have garnered a lot.

The shifting demographics of the country will insure a more liberal court in the future and those same demographics are going to make congress worse as well.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

So New York should just live with the SAFE Act??

Those of us in 10th Circuit should be happy with the latest CCW ruling???

This.

Once the SC really lays out the second all the garbage will be over and we will have our rights.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I'd be electing him because he was a proven defender of my right to keep and bear arms.

I could see paul defending firearms except for personal defense; he's proven he's against that..live by the gun die by the gun. The guys a basket case.
Are you nuts? Dude, you are spot-on in many respects on here. I don't know if it's blind hatred on your part for Paul or what, but you need to educate yourself.

I was forced to vote for Romney in the last election but on guns alone, between Romney and Paul, it is a no-brainer. I go with objectivity over subjectivity most of the time and if you put Paul's actual record up over Romney's, Paul wins hands-down, just as he would against anybody you put him up against in the House. If you even compare Paul's RECORD to Romney's rhetoric, Paul wins. And IMO a record trumps what somebody says they'll do, most of the time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
frankly, I don't see a good outcome with a 'once and for all' decision.
Sometimes it's best to just sleeping dogs lie. I don't trust Scalia, or any other individual, nor any group of elites, such as the Supreme Court, anymore.
Hear-hear. When you stop believing that you have certain inalienable rights and start believing that everything begins and ends with man, you have just admitted that somebody else can take your abilities away with their opinion through a "vote". If my neighbors want my guns they can come and get them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HawkI

They make law (not prescribed by the Constitution), every time the Congress doesn't...

Also, "Once and for all" and a Court ruling just don't belong in the same sentence....
The farther the world spins the more complicated things get and the more us common folk need lawyers to tell us what other lawyers said when they made the laws they rule us with. It's a very fine line between that and the boot my ancestors managed to pull their necks out from under when they sailed over to Jamestown.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Re: Kagen, just look how she voted in Heller and McDonald and that will give you an idea on what she thinks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kagan wasn't on the Supreme Court for Heller. MacDonald is a Circuit Court case she couldn't vote on.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Voting Rights case is what is on the table now, and if the SCOTUS sends it packing we will be getting to the root of the current problem. we are being denied representative government and having our votes value compromised.

The 2nd Amendment issues are going to get resolved, and we can be thankful our enemies are making so many bad laws so we can have standing in the courts.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HawkI

Well Roe v Wade was not a law but a decision that states could not ban abortion, in other words Roe v Wade knocked down laws banning abortion. Kind of the same type of thing only we want the states and Feds to stop making laws that ban guns or otherwise restrict our rights under the 2nd.

Don�t see any states banning abortions. That is a good example of �once and for all�. Personally I am not a big fan of abortion but Roe v Wade it is a good example of how SCOTUS works in our government.

Originally Posted by GSP814
Re: Kagen, just look how she voted in Heller and McDonald and that will give you an idea on what she thinks!

Kagen was not on the court for either of those decisions. She replaced Stevens and while I have absolutely no faith she would rule with the conservatives it is at least interesting she would go hunting here in Wyoming with Scalia. Stevens was vehemently anti gun and wrote the dissenting opinions in both the Heller and McDonald cases.

We are better off with Stevens gone.

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Kagan wasn't on the Supreme Court for Heller. MacDonald is a Circuit Court case she couldn't vote on.

I think he is referring to the 2010 McDonald v Chicago case.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 03/02/13.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It would be nice to turn one of theirs though. Oh how I would laugh. Smiling right now just thinking about it. Almost giggling like Anderson Cooper after a little poot.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 75 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,462
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.