Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the things that always strikes me about these threads is how the rifle-is-a-tool guys get really snobby about their purism. They somehow think their attitude makes them superior--and thus are far snobbier than those who own and hunt with nice walnut-stocked rifles of any sort.

Personally, I'm a rifle loony, meaning I own and HUNT with a pile of different rifles, ranging from totally factory bolt-actions with Tupperware stocks, to very fancy custom and antique rifles that have been wet or dragged through the dirt many times.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB4

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I like all guns, and have some pretty nice ones, but would NEVER look down my nose at another mans choice in weaponry.

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If it is NOT accurate, it is a piece of crap no matter what it looks like! Ya' can't miss 'em fast enough to kill 'em so what good is a 'looker' that doesn't shoot accurately?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will admit to being a bit more carefull using my H&H Royal than I am with my Rem M11. Call me what you want.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Could very well be Sir. Guns is made to be shot, pictures are fer hangin' on the wall.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Slob!, A gun was made to shoot not sit in a safe.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the things that always strikes me about these threads is how the rifle-is-a-tool guys get really snobby about their purism. They somehow think their attitude makes them superior--and thus are far snobbier than those who own and hunt with nice walnut-stocked rifles of any sort.

Of the 1206 posts on the Rifles on a Fence Post, photo thread, I still don't see too many hammers, chisels, or adjustable wrenches.

For those not acquainted - for your viewing pleasure:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../Fence_post_pics_or_any_post#Post5419694

Never met a man who considered a rifle "just" a tool. The number of people that make a living writing about them clearly tells me they aren't screwdrivers.

Last edited by BrentD; 03/04/13.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by T LEE
Could very well be Sir. Guns is made to be shot, pictures TARGETS are fer hangin' on the wall.

Fixed it fer ya.

I gotta tell you, findin' out last year that my SAA was a shooter and not a wall-hanger was one of the best days of my life...
grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Guess I'll have to ask a question, since my recent post obviously was bypassed (per usual) by Internet posters who never read other people's posts:

Who in HELL ever decided pretty rifles don't shoot well?

I have at least a dozen very pretty hunting rifles that shoot as well as the average synthetic-stocked custom rifle. I know this after owning a pile of synthetic-stocked custom rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer my titles.

Of course we started out with perhaps a hand me down and some like a fine gun or more and others have a 'truck gun' or whatever and more also.

[Linked Image]

custom pic. from the net ottmarpicture107

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Personally, I'm a rifle loony, meaning I own and HUNT with a pile of different rifles, ranging from totally factory bolt-actions with Tupperware stocks, to very fancy custom and antique rifles that have been wet or dragged through the dirt many times.

I've got to agree with you John. I doubt you remember but I wrote back in the fall about a rem. 760 that unthought I got a decent deal with. It ain't real pretty but it shoots federal a 165 trophy copper loads into an inch. The only "pretty" rifle I have is a sears model 53 that I had restocked. That one shoots 150 grain Hornadys into about an inch. But again. I like them all. I'm a huge sucker for duck guns

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Recently, one of my friends profoundly announced that there are two types of "gun nuts"..."gun slobs and gun snobs". I personally care only about a weapons performance, and don't appreciate fancy stuff at all. That makes me a slob.

Which are you?

He missed the third group...gun-sluts. whistle whistle

I fit there. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
I will admit to being a bit more carefull using my H&H Royal than I am with my Rem M11. Call me what you want.

OK, then, you are a gun slut. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Well put, John. I personally own AND hunt several Ruger #1's for which I try to take a modicum of care. The rifle that rides the most in (and out) of the feed truck was very nice looking, for about a month. A fast, uncontrolled, trip down a talus slope took care of the cosmetics. Being thrown out of the Polaris (twice), didn't help matters any. This little CZ has worn out 3 feed trucks, looks horrible, and continues to kill coyotes and prairie dogs at pretty fair distances, in spite of the operator!
I guess I'll just straddle the fence, on this one!

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by JSTUART
What hypocrisy...the man shoots and is posting on a shooters site.

...are you sure you don't have your panties in a twist?

no but you do wink you apparently don't pay attention or maybe you are a liberal from Australia..........birds of a feather you know.

so, eh76, does this make me a snob, a slob, or a liberal?

It was over 180 yrs old and hunted in rain and snow and all it was was a grocery shopping tool. Worth just under $7k at the time, I don't think anyone has ever accused me of sheltering safe queens.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yup, I think your panties are pretty twisted. laugh laugh

Always better panties, than gray matter.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Always better panties, than gray matter.

When did eh76 come up with any gray matter? He must have stolen it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Who in HELL ever decided pretty rifles don't shoot well?

My prettiest rifles are my target rifles. And they are, for sure, the best shooting.

They also get used the hardest, beat the worst, and generally get a whole lot more wear than the average hunting rifle. Rain, dust storms, getting dragged in and out of safes and trucks and up and down the firing line for many more days/yr than a hunting rifle, they take a beating.

Guys that are serious competitors often have rifles that look a lot more the stereotyped hunting rifle than they do like real hunting rifles. They sure aren't closet queens.

But mine do get babied when they aren't at a match or the range.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think of guns as very nice tools. Some are just nicer than others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These days, when I get in the mood for a new one I build it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Rifles for hunting: Slob as long as the bullet goes where I ask

Rifles for shooting: Snob. Period. They get looked at, wiped down and put away.

Handguns and Shotguns: Slob. Strictly business like hunting rifles.

I got the hots for nice bolt rifles. What can I say? Now I have a problem because I'm selling my workhorse Wby Vanguard 308 to my buddy. Might have to muck up something nice...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,800 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,979
Posts18,480,890
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.