Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was following the request for this forum so I thought I would post. All the drillings I have seen for sale were $1000+ Are there less expensive drillings or would those be junk?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1000 bucks IS an inexpensive drilling. Extremely useful guns.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most $1,000.00 drillings are worn out junk with obsolete rifle chamberings.

There are a few in 16ga with 65mm chambers and 9,3X72R rifle barrels in that range that are still shooters, however. When buying a drilling or cape gun you need to know what you're doing, or you will end up with an expensive wall-hanger.

A decent drilling will start in about the $2,000.00 range these days. DON'T use the auction sites as a guide to prices! Few offering drillings there know what they have and it's realistic condition. Their prices are about double the guns' real values.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by luv2safari
A decent drilling will start in about the $2,000.00 range these days. DON'T use the auction sites as a guide to prices! Few offering drillings there know what they have and it's realistic condition. Their prices are about double the guns' real values.

Care to give some pointers to folks new to the game? Short of buying a NIB gun how can we tell if a drilling is going to be of serviceable use and not just a wall hanger?

Last edited by Alectoris; 03/06/13.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Think of it this way: a drilling nets you a double barrel shotgun and a single shot rifle in one go (or a double rifle and single shot shotgun). Price out some period examples and compare it to the cost of the drilling. The drilling is often cheaper. Buying new is even easier to make the comparison... most modern drilling makers also make doubles and single shot rifles. That should net some workable figures when it comes time to pry the wife's hands off the purse strings.

IC B2

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
luv2safari,

I had a feeling I wasn't in the ball park in terms of money. I will have to rethink my price range.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Alectoris,

I like the way you think. Maybe your logic will work on the wife. She is now giving the ok for rifles with pretty wood, now I need to try another angle smile

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cabelas sometimes has nice drillings in the $1400 range. It pays to look there. I got a nice Sauer 16/16/9.3x72 for that price last year. Very good shooter. I'd say stay away from 12 ga. The ones I have handled (including my Colt /Sauer) handle like clubs.
Guns international has a lot of them and right now there are some nice ones in the $2500 range.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good find on the Sauer for $1400.

Usually, the cheaper ones are cheap for 2 reasons.

1. It's Junk.
2. Someone needs quick Cash.

Go to www.frankonia.de and do some translating and see what you can get shipped over. I know it's a lengthy process but you may save some $$$.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sometimes the only problem with older drillings is a little looseness. This can be fixed reasonably cheaply, coinsidering the overall cost of a drilling.

Good bargains can also be found in outside-hammer drillings. My first drilling was a Daly/Sauer 12x12/.30-30. Sauer made a bunch of these for the American market, in American chamberings. They're back-action sidelocks and are very good. Mine has a typical fold-down aperture tang sight. I shot it for the first time with 170-grain Federal factory loads and they printed 2" high at 100 yards with the tang sight.

I've taken mule deer and a bunch of gamebirds from sharptails to pheasants with it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
drducati,
I will keep a look out on Cabela's.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
7x64,

I looked at the link to the website you provided. I hate to sound stupid, but what language is it in?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More like uninformed,definitely NOT stupid. Big difference.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
John,

Are there any tips to looking at a used drilling to make sure I don't get a "problem child"?

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes uninformed smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by barm
7x64,

I looked at the link to the website you provided. I hate to sound stupid, but what language is it in?

German. Look at the web address - .de is a domain registration reserved for german registration/use.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by barm
7x64,

If you download the browser Chrome (from HERE), it will offer to translate webpages to English on the fly for you.

The translation is done by computer of course, so sometimes the English is "interesting" but it will be useful.

I have tried to have Chrome translate kawi's posts into English, but they are gibberish in ANY language. wink

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sometimes the only problem with older drillings is a little looseness. This can be fixed reasonably cheaply, coinsidering the overall cost of a drilling.

Good bargains can also be found in outside-hammer drillings. My first drilling was a Daly/Sauer 12x12/.30-30. Sauer made a bunch of these for the American market, in American chamberings. They're back-action sidelocks and are very good. Mine has a typical fold-down aperture tang sight. I shot it for the first time with 170-grain Federal factory loads and they printed 2" high at 100 yards with the tang sight.

I've taken mule deer and a bunch of gamebirds from sharptails to pheasants with it.

This one seems to be decently priced. I think it's a lot like yours and would be a very useful gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331379257

I think the price came down recently, too. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Check out this link for the for sale guns. I know they export but it is a lengthy process. Fortunately, I was able to ship mine in my furniture/household goods and get the ATF stuff knocked out w/o a hitch.

http://www.frankonia.de/waffen/gebrauchtwaffen/topcategory.html

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
These links are frustrating, in that there does not seem to be any English translation, unless I am overlooking something?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,912
Posts18,479,552
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.