Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7523948 03/07/13
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I know you're restricted to 11lbs of ammo, but a guy told me that weight included the locked ammo case.
Your experience?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I take only what I really need, and nobody has ever weighed the ammo.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
how much game you gonna shoot? I tell my hunters to bring 40 rounds, enough to sight in and go. I have only had one hunter use more, he needed 78 rounds, we drove hours to get him resupplied. He was the greatest exception to the norm. I've never seen anyone so afraid of his gun and shoot that poorly before or since.

you only need a locked box for flights within RSA, you do not need a locked box leaving the USA or arriving in RSA.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
JJ-
We are flying from USA to RSA, overnight there then to Botswana the next day. Are you saying we don't need locked box?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Rcutchen
I know you're restricted to 11lbs of ammo, but a guy told me that weight included the locked ammo case.
Your experience?

On two trips to Africa and on two domestic flights, my ammo wasn't weighed.

On one trip with Air France, my ammo was inspected and weighed. It was weighed in the cartridge boxes but was first taken out of the small locked Pelican case I had it in. Though they took the ammo out of the Pelican case, from reading the Air France web site, I believe they could have made a case for weighing it in the Pelican case.

So, I think it's unlikely your ammo would be weighed on South African Airways or Delta Airlines but there is a way better than average chance that it would be weighed on Air France.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Be prepared for anything. I have been three times, and have had my ammo weighed somewhere along the way on each trip. They DO include the weight of the box. To be on the safe side, get a lockable box, and put your name and addess on it with a magic marker.I have flown with American, Delta, and SAA. They ALL can get anal about ammo, SAA is the worst, especially on their domestic flights.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I do what JJ said, take 40 rounds...20 for hunting and 20 to re-sight if need be. No one ever weighed mine on six trips. However Ive seen them come unglued if the ammo box accidentally opened, so I seal mine with strapping tape....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You do not need a locked box or any box for that matter flying to RSA only for flights within RSA.

If you are driving from Joburg to where ever in Botswana you don't need a box. If you are flying from Joburg to Botswana then you will.

I use and suggest to all my hunters that they carry ammo in MTM slip cases with rubber bands around them or packing tape. If traveling with others, split the ammo into everyones luggage so that any one missing bag does not cause the loss of all of one hunters ammo.

Don't put in your carry on, just had to say it.......... Had a hunter do this leaving Joburg, it did not go well

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JJHACK

I use and suggest to all my hunters that they carry ammo in MTM slip cases with rubber bands around them or packing tape. If traveling with others, split the ammo into everyones luggage so that any one missing bag does not cause the loss of all of one hunters ammo.

Best tip yet...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There have been instances (quite a few actually) of folks transiting to JNB on the way to Zim & other destinations where their ammo has been "detained' because it was not in a locked box inside their suitcases. Morons even dumped all in a plastic bag, tagged it as luggage and sent it to be loaded aboard. Buy a plastic box that you can lock and throw the boxed ammo in it and inside your suitcase. TIA for chrissakes..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
There are plenty of lightweight, lockable plastic boxes around. They don't add a lot of weight to the ammo and they're cheap, too. It doesn't matter if somebody could break into them in seconds, as long as they're legal. (And for that matter, even some expensive boxes are easy to break into. A friend from Back East once came out to Montana to shoot varmints, bringing a Halliburton case full of handloads. The built-in dial lock went tits-up on the flight, and he was panicking over having to try to find some .222 Remington ammo in rural Montana. I had the Halliburton open within half a minute, using a medium-sized screwdriver as a pry bar.)

The only time ammo weight can even be a relaistic concern is if you're shooting some really big boomer with heavy bullets and insist on bringing more than 40 rounds of ammo. On my last safari, in Tanzania, I brought a 9.3x62 with 286-grain bullets and a .416 Rigby with 400's. Even that much heavy ammo only weighed about 8 pounds, so there was 3 pounds to spare for the 20-round ammo boxes and lockable case. That was the ONLY trip I've made to Africa where they weighed my ammo--and they took the 20-round boxes out of the lockable case to weight it. That was when we were getting on the flight home in Dar es Salaam.

(Wouldn't have brought that much .416 on most trips, but I could shoot 2 buffalo, and was also after hippo. Ended up only shooting one buffalo, since the first one taken was the biggest seen, and was only going to shoot a hippo on land, not in the water, so ended up not getting one. Did have some adventures with 'em, though....)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
There are plenty of lightweight, lockable plastic boxes around. They don't add a lot of weight to the ammo and they're cheap, too. It doesn't matter if somebody could break into them in seconds, as long as they're legal. (And for that matter, even some expensive boxes are easy to break into. A friend from Back East once came out to Montana to shoot varmints, bringing a Halliburton case full of handloads. The built-in dial lock went tits-up on the flight, and he was panicking over having to try to find some .222 Remington ammo in rural Montana. I had the Halliburton open within half a minute, using a medium-sized screwdriver as a pry bar.)

The only time ammo weight can even be a relaistic concern is if you're shooting some really big boomer with heavy bullets and insist on bringing more than 40 rounds of ammo. On my last safari, in Tanzania, I brought a 9.3x62 with 286-grain bullets and a .416 Rigby with 400's. Even that much heavy ammo only weighed about 8 pounds, so there was 3 pounds to spare for the 20-round ammo boxes and lockable case. That was the ONLY trip I've made to Africa where they weighed my ammo--and they took the 20-round boxes out of the lockable case to weight it. That was when we were getting on the flight home in Dar es Salaam.

(Wouldn't have brought that much .416 on most trips, but I could shoot 2 buffalo, and was also after hippo. Ended up only shooting one buffalo, since the first one taken was the biggest seen, and was only going to shoot a hippo on land, not in the water, so ended up not getting one. Did have some adventures with 'em, though....)

Glad to hear the comments Mule Deer. I have been considering the following cases.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/ammo-can-ac30c.html

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1150

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1200

No doubt the Pelican are more durable and suitable for shipping if you were not allowed in your luggage. However they weigh more. I have great confidence in the MTM case, except for the hinge which would be the weakness. A coworker pointed out that a couple of wraps of duct tape would help ensure the MTM kept together, if I had to check the ammo separately.

Last edited by AB2506; 03/08/13. Reason: sp
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I always wrap any plastic ammo box with duct tape when flying. I'd just get the cheapest, lighter lockable one you can. The entire regulation is more feel-good than anything else.

Sort of like anti-gunners trying to ban AR-15's. There's no rational reason for it, and it won't bring down the murder rate, but it makes them feel like they're doing something.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On my last two trips to South Africa, I've used a plastic kids "Shrek" lunch box for my ammo. I drilled a hole through the "lips" of the box for a TSX lock. The lunch box will easily hold two Magnum size slip top 20 round cartridge cases.

I've used this on flights on both Delta and SAA without any problems.

On another trip I took two rifles so I used a plastic tool box to carry my two slip top cases of .375 RUM ammo and two cases of 7mm RM ammo. I then filled the extra room in the tool box with my underware and socks for padding. smirk

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
For dealing with the five Kilogram rule for ammunition, my booking agent told me to go down to Staples and buy the cheapie little metal cash box with the lock. About $14.00. I took a wildcat 416 along with a 270 Win. I mixed and matched my ammo until I got down to about 9 & 1/2 lbs. But this was important at the check in desk at Tombo in Jo'berg. My gun case came through O.K., but red tag or not, my suitcase with the ammo, never got to the counter. Maybe a shift change, maybe it just came out on the carousel, and I missed it.

But it became lost luggage, for a day. I had followed my booking agent's instructions, and downloaded the S.A.P. 520 form and filled out a couple, and had one in my gun case, and one in my carry on. I was still questioning where my bag was, when I got up to the young lady doing the paper work. I just handed her my filled out forms, and she shrugged and copied down everything.

My chauffeur at Cape Town, made some phone calls for me in Afrikanz, and they sent my bag through to Cape Town the next day with the ammo box still inside. When I asked where I would check my gear through customs, belatedly, they just pointed to the exit door. They didn't have to point twice. This cost me an extra $60 for the extra limo trip to and from the Cape Town Airport.

Incidentally, I could pack nearly 14 lbs of ammo into that little black cash box. I knocked out the hasp and security chain, first thing. I even slipped in a couple of boxes of 22LR for my P.H., and noted them on the SAP form. My wildcat used 350 gr. Speer Mag Tips, and my 270 used Federal ammo with 110 gr. Barnes TTSX's. I used the factory boxes for the Federal ammo, and printed off some gummed labels with my wildcat's logo which I stuck to Hornady paste board boxes with Frankfort arsenal plastic egg crate bottoms inside them. Everything fit just like downtown, and I had no problems. The Hornady outfit was nice enough to mail me ten of these flat stock African paste board Ammo boxes. The bottom halves of the 300 Win. Mag. Frankfort Arsenal plastic boxes fit right inside of the Hornady paste boards. Hornady didn't have the black plastic separators in stock.

I did fly directly from Atlanta to Jo'berg, and I will never, never, do that again. Next go, will have to go through some European country with a day lay over. And I was in Delta's extra comfort seating, one row behind the bulkhead row, separating us from the first class pods. The Triple Sevens have way too much flying range.

Coming back to Atlanta, I gave enough gear away to my P.H. and his crew, so that I lost my camera bag, and bought some extra foot room. At Atlanta, I had to clear customs with my gun case and bags, and then make it to the far end of Stansfield Turner in under two hours. The Salt Lake flight passengers were disappearing down the ramp when I flashed my boarding pass at the last moment, and barely made my connection.

My parting advice is to K.I.S.S. up, and stay very, very, focused! The best piece of all my gear was a AAA chest wallet, with the padded cable around my neck.

The reason for the tinny little cash box with the ten cent lock is that anyone can pry it open with a screw driver or pocket knife, and inspect your ammunition, without you standing there. My lock was still intact at Cape Town, but it probably should have been pried open, at Jo'berg, after it became lost luggage. Of course the lost luggage desk at Cape Town, blamed me for not getting my bag off of the carousel at Jo'berg. But with the red tag on it, it should have been taken off to the gun counter along with everyone elses. I still think it stayed just behind the gun counter, due to a shift change. This place was helpful, but not necessarily coordinated.

Last edited by INDYBUSTER; 03/08/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know that a lay over in Europe will require you to have gun permits or some secure airport storage etc for your guns, then rechecking then again In a foreign country without intimate knowledge of their rules!

Not sure how that is a better plan then the direct flight from Atlanta. But we all have a different threshold for government and firearm bureaucracy issues.

I'm from a different mold. Flying direct from Atlanta to joburg is the only game in town for me.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
J.J. More power to you. Delta is playing games over their extra comfort bulkhead seating. Going over, they claimed that they were holding this row for mothers with infants. But all I saw were business men. Coming back, a State Dept. employee from our embassy in Pretoria was seated right in front of me. She admitted that State slips extra funds to the airlines to keep some of the bulkhead seating available for State Dept. customers. I have a circulation problem in one leg, and sure could have used some extra leg room. Most of the men I talked with at Jo'berg had indeed flown in through a European route. They were prepared and didn't have any trouble with their rifles.

If there really was a baby, in a bassinet, these bulkhead seats wouldn't be that good anyway. I got this odoriferous treat on a long ago flight from Sea Tac to Honolulu. It's not that I wouldn't pay extra for leg room, but they are just playing games with them. If you can afford first class, seated in the Triple Seven's pods, it's all O.K. On a positive note, I have 26,200 Delta Sky Miles, from this trip alone.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
JJ:

Having to claim rifle(s) and baggage for day or night layover in Europe is not necessarily required if you transit via Frankfurt or Zurich. We've gone through Frankfurt and Zurich once each so far and Zurich again this May.

As long as the airline that you use from the US to your connection has a baggage handling agreement with the airline you're connecting with for the inbound African leg AND your lay-over is less than 24 hours you can check all your luggage all the way through to your first African entry city or your final destination if your are just transiting J'berg to another country. We've even over-nighted in J'berg before catching the morning flight to Windhoek and never claimed rifles or checked luggage in J'berg.

All we do is make sure we put at least one box of ammo for each rifle (in a locked box) in each of our checked bags - requires the airlines to do special handling and accounting of the bags. I mark the baggage claim check stubs to indicate which ones are luggage and which ones are rifle cases. When we get to the boarding gate we hand the claim stubs to the agent and ask the rep to confirm our baggage is on the plane. As long as we do this at EVERY connection we've not had any lost or delayed luggage. The one time I didn't confirm the luggage, our rifle cases didn't make the flight. It was our return flight home and I got lazy making our connection in J'berg. We transferred from SAA to Swiss Air and I didn't confirm with the Swiss Air check-in counter.

The computer systems that are SUPPOSED TO link all the airlines and luggage together don't always connect the passenger's luggage to the individual passenger like they are SUPPOSED TO. Numerous times the check-in rep has said, "the bags are in the system" but the system didn't always associate the bags with the flight or us when transferring between airlines.

There is nothing that says you can't claim your stuff in the intermediate cities if you want or feel you need too for the extra security of having them in you hands while you sleep or day-trip but, if all that is being done is claiming them from the airline and doing a bunch of extra paperwork just to end up leaving them at the terminal with the police (who are also supposed to be watching the airlines secured storage area anyway) may be too much extra hassle for some.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rcutchen:

Like most things in the life, the written word of the airline regulation is still subject to the interpenetration of the airline rep you happen to deal with at the check-in counter.

The if the airline allows the carriage of ammo and go by the ICAO regs it is 5 kilos (11 lbs) of loaded ammo. If they do weigh it and you are way over because you've packed "extra stuff" in the box - like knives, clothes, gun cleaning stuff etc., you can politely challenge the weight and ask the agent IF you can open the box and take the individual boxes of ammo out and weigh them separate from the lock box and other "stuff".

At check-in when we declare our luggage with ammo, we've always been asked "how much ammo" and I've always simply replied "less than 5 kilos for each of us" and never been questioned on the US side. Only once when coming back did an agent ever ask to see a lock box and question the weight. I offered to open the box and let her weigh the ammo separately but, she declined and we pressed on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never had the airline allow me to check my bags straight through on flights with firearms when connecting in foreign countries, with a layover. It was clearly stated that the airport had no secure firearm storage for layovers. So it was a no go.

I stopped doing this 10 years ago. I'm glad to hear that this is now allowed, or somehow managed. We all have a different ability to tolerate risk and conflict with airport personnel. Mine is very low.

At the point I'm in the US airport knowing "the rules" about the baggage getting checked through. Then the agent says. No you're going to have to collect your bags and check them for the next flight.

Now what?

No gun permits for a country you headed to in hours. What will be required? Is it even legal to enter that country without pre approved permits ( it's not when coming to America as an example)

So for me with the simple issue of a box to lock ammo in with dozens of opinions and experiences along with the countless issues at the check in counter. I'll stick with a direct flight on a good American carrier.

That's just my opinion because I don't have the tolerance for risk and worry when countless idiots are involved with my success.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 3,406 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,740
Posts18,535,365
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.