-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
Savage long range hunter in 6.5x284.

I agree. For the money these are hard to beat, especially for deer/antelope-sized game. However, when loaded correctly and shot accurately, elk & moose are not a problem.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." - Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A new Model 700 goes for $379.95. You won't find anything better.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'375,

I prolly bang around a bit with .224's too. Trouble is,there isn't a Factory .224" rifle I could recommend and assure the end user,that it'd sing as configured over the counter. Why? Twist rate.

The Montucky 223 is the most awesome platform on the Planet,but 1-9" ain't a certain thang in 223 SAAMI. 9" is a better bet as velocity increases and I'd wager more jingle on a 9" 22-250 or 22-250AI stabilizing the 75A-Max,than I would a 9" 223/223AI. Have seen it go both ways and 8" never ain't not a certain thing.

That being said my 700 LTR 223AI wearing it's issued 9" spout punched out,simply flat [bleep] dazzles with 75A-Max. Dumped it into an A5 with Badger bottom,rings and rail,Kenworth shifter and 3.5-10x M3.

[Linked Image]

I think highly of my heavy Retrostalgic Return 1-9" Hart 22-250AI and the 75's nudging 3500fps.

[Linked Image]

Also gun a 1-7.7" Krieger 22-250AI.

[Linked Image]

Rebarreled my 223AI Montucky to a Rocktucky wearing a 1-7" Mike Rock spout. it's far and away my Favoritest Rifle of ALL Time and I've done dabbled me a few. Last I counted,I had (13) 223AI's and they run the twist rate range from 7-14" and 8" is where it's at. Hint.

[Linked Image]

223AI's in ascending twist rates. 14",12",10",9"8" and 7".

[Linked Image]

Anywhoo...I'm purty open minded in regards to .224's and am hip on the notion in general and gun Hornets,K-Hornets,Deuce,223's,223AI's,224Wby,22-250,22-250AI,Swift and CHeetah,if only for starters.

Thus far,no Makers do 'em right over the counter and the .224's are hamstrung outta da gate,due to lazy twist rates. The TikTacs are a Goat [bleep] and Salvage is never a serious consideration...so the 700 243Win takes the crown by default,in bang for the buck over the counter MoJo.

The Montucky twisted 8" in both 223 and 22-250 would steal the [bleep] Show!

I reckon because I've got 'bout every blueprint there is,that I couldn't say that adding weight helps the beeg picture. That in regards to both gross platform weight and projectile weight. I'll always take a modest weight or lighter offering,that's well balanced and good handlin'...over a Goat [bleep] Pig. Now as to boolits,"weight" and "SD" mean dick. Where the rubber meets the road is in it's construction and profiling. There's always a sweet spot where the most goody is aligned,for folks who's paying attention and that ain't ever at the heaviest offering. Re-hint.

Again...the 243Win by Big Green connects the most dots,with the least amount of recoil and greatest downrange performance,when weighing over the counter Goodness on the cheap. Though I prolly shoot a few other chamberings,that ain't been mentioned yet.

Bullets matter more than headstamps and things like twist rate,throat geometry and COAL latitude...rate a greater than passing thunk. The astute can have their cake and eat it too,but I can only leadja to water...I cain't make you drink.(grin)

Re-re-hint.

Winchester routinely [bleep] alotta schit up and their 3" receiver mated to a 1-10" 243Win spout,takes the cake for Bean Counter Dumbphucktitude.

Common sense just ain't very common.

'wg6,

I believe you's onto sumptin'.(grin)

'Buck,

I loves Salvages too.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer

'Buck,

I loves Salvages too.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!

Hahahahaha! LOL!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

'Buck,

I loves Salvages too.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!

Hahahahaha! LOL!

Yea that is how I feel about brownings smile

IC B2

I have a weatherby 300win mag. It's a awesome rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you have a pic with you peeing on one?

LOL!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boxer,

I definitely wouldn't mind a Montana in a 8" (or ANY 22-250 so spun) but in the meantime I'll keep my TickTak SL! smile

Shoots itty bitty with the 60 Vmax and 75 Amax. Twill soon be an AI and it needs a nicer handle...I like the rifle so much I'm thinking of dropping the dough on a Mickey for it...

Question: with your hotter .22's what's the upper limit you've found for twist vis-a-vis velocity with regards to the 75 Amax?

Been thinking of building a hot .22 to throw the 75+ grainers and Hornady told me they got 3600 in a 9" with the 75 Amax but thought that an 8" or faster would be a no go.

Hard to find people with experience shooting heavy .224 projectiles at 3500+...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'lia,

I've pizzed on more than a few things and [bleep] with an open mind.

In fairness,the AccuTrigger is almost as nearly as good of a [bleep] joke,as Burris pokin' PosiLok and Turrets aboard the same scope.(grin)

Eddy,

I hates me some Browning boltguns too.

In fairness however,I do gots me a steel BLR I need to rebarrel to 8" 22-250AI though,as an under the radar Ultimate Sleeper/Giggles Rifle.

I is a Purist,of the highest brow.(grin)

Eric,

Are you bitching or bragging?!!? Do feel free to wax eloquent on a 9-Lugged Goat [bleep],as I like them ruses...'bout as good as Salvage and Jap Browning turnbolt yarns.

Cheer up,I suffer some [bleep] Weatherbys too.

Mojo,

I'm not a fan of injection handles(especially them that adjust),'06 lengthed 223's or Barbie Doll magazines...and the Sales Pitch don't get no purtier when wrapped in CM steel. Redid a pard's 223 TikTac magazine,to accept increased COAL in conjunction with it's throat and a kiss and the whole enchilada took about 1/2 gallon of bleach to get the stink offa my mitts. They really are a sorry [bleep] "effort",despite 1-8" being a nice place to be on both .378" and .473" boltfaced .224's.

As to 75A-Max RPM,the beegest fast twist case I shoot in .224" is the 22-250AI and that's where pards have all thus far drawn the line too. I know of none in the ranks spun faster than my 7.7" Krieger,as the vast majority of the herd is straight up 1-8's. I've suffered no malady in 22-250AI at 7.7" with moly 75's at 3450fps in the 23". EVERY swinging dick raves on the 8" and the 75A-Max expressly in the chambering...with it being designated as "mainstay",squarely a gross understatement. Most spouts is 3-grooved and noone is trying to slow a 75 down on the throttle.(grin)

After having suffered a brace of CHeetahs(Mach One's both),[bleep] around in Rocket and Swift AI...it's 22-250AI or bust for me in case capacity ceiling for .224" bore sizing. It's simply too excellent,to [bleep] around with and the COAL latitude do not hurt the equation. If I'm gonna drive a 243Win case,it's gonna be in 6mm bore sizing as a minimum and farrrrrrr more likely in 243AI configuration to boot.

So if you think the .224" 75A-Max at 3500fps is gonna leave sumptin' to want more of,simply cut to the chase and go 6mm outta da gate and launch better BC's. With the 243,243AI,6mmRem,6mmRemAI and 6-284's in my larder...amongst the .224's mentioned prior,the 223AI easily remains my favorite chambering of all,for Utility Pursuits. A 1-8" 21-inch 223AI will do everything and more,less breaking stride. Were there a 1-8" S/S turnbolt 223 in light done right...noone woulda mentioned it as THE Derby Winner before I. But alas,as of Today,that ain't in the mix over the OEM counter.

For adding more azz to the equation,the 243/243AI and 105's really knock schit out of the park and yet remain a hoot to gun with unbridled enthusiasm. Weighing all attributes,the over the counter S/S 700 243Win steals the show and by a goodly margin.

It'd be a more subjective call,if other Makers twisted/throated right,in conjunction with their COAL latitude and available BC's,as well as incorporated S/S spouts(as a minimum). Ruger throats/twists their 243Win's nice and their COAL increase ain't a bad thing,but they's heavy pigs and the ergo's routinely suck heavy azz. BT/DT and have all the T-shirts.

It's all about connectin' the most dots,by default.

(Shot this a few minutes ago and schit like it,always gets the Window Lickers whining.)

Dog [bleep].(grin)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'lia,

I've pizzed on more than a few things and [bleep] with an open mind.

In fairness,the AccuTrigger is almost as nearly as good of a [bleep] joke,as Burris pokin' PosiLok and Turrets aboard the same scope.(grin)

Eddy,

I hates me some Browning boltguns too.

In fairness however,I do gots me a steel BLR I need to rebarrel to 8" 22-250AI though,as an under the radar Ultimate Sleeper/Giggles Rifle.

I is a Purist,of the highest brow.(grin)

Eric,

Are you bitching or bragging?!!? Do feel free to wax eloquent on a 9-Lugged Goat [bleep],as I like them ruses...'bout as good as Salvage and Jap Browning turnbolt yarns.

Cheer up,I suffer some [bleep] Weatherbys too.

Mojo,

I'm not a fan of injection handles(especially them that adjust),'06 lengthed 223's or Barbie Doll magazines...and the Sales Pitch don't get no purtier when wrapped in CM steel. Redid a pard's 223 TikTac magazine,to accept increased COAL in conjunction with it's throat and a kiss and the whole enchilada took about 1/2 gallon of bleach to get the stink offa my mitts. They really are a sorry [bleep] "effort",despite 1-8" being a nice place to be on both .378" and .473" boltfaced .224's.

As to 75A-Max RPM,the beegest fast twist case I shoot in .224" is the 22-250AI and that's where pards have all thus far drawn the line too. I know of none in the ranks spun faster than my 7.7" Krieger,as the vast majority of the herd is straight up 1-8's. I've suffered no malady in 22-250AI at 7.7" with moly 75's at 3450fps in the 23". EVERY swinging dick raves on the 8" and the 75A-Max expressly in the chambering...with it being designated as "mainstay",squarely a gross understatement. Most spouts is 3-grooved and noone is trying to slow a 75 down on the throttle.(grin)

After having suffered a brace of CHeetahs(Mach One's both),[bleep] around in Rocket and Swift AI...it's 22-250AI or bust for me in case capacity ceiling for .224" bore sizing. It's simply too excellent,to [bleep] around with and the COAL latitude do not hurt the equation. If I'm gonna drive a 243Win case,it's gonna be in 6mm bore sizing as a minimum and farrrrrrr more likely in 243AI configuration to boot.

So if you think the .224" 75A-Max at 3500fps is gonna leave sumptin' to want more of,simply cut to the chase and go 6mm outta da gate and launch better BC's. With the 243,243AI,6mmRem,6mmRemAI and 6-284's in my larder...amongst the .224's mentioned prior,the 223AI easily remains my favorite chambering of all,for Utility Pursuits. A 1-8" 21-inch 223AI will do everything and more,less breaking stride. Were there a 1-8" S/S turnbolt 223 in light done right...noone woulda mentioned it as THE Derby Winner before I. But alas,as of Today,that ain't in the mix over the OEM counter.

For adding more azz to the equation,the 243/243AI and 105's really knock schit out of the park and yet remain a hoot to gun with unbridled enthusiasm. Weighing all attributes,the over the counter S/S 700 243Win steals the show and by a goodly margin.

It'd be a more subjective call,if other Makers twisted/throated right,in conjunction with their COAL latitude and available BC's,as well as incorporated S/S spouts(as a minimum). Ruger throats/twists their 243Win's nice and their COAL increase ain't a bad thing,but they's heavy pigs and the ergo's routinely suck heavy azz. BT/DT and have all the T-shirts.

It's all about connectin' the most dots,by default.

(Shot this a few minutes ago and schit like it,always gets the Window Lickers whining.)

Dog [bleep].(grin)

[Linked Image]

Nice pics, Stick!

Yeah, I did have to do the mag mod to use the 75 Amax kissin...worth it for how good of a bullet that is.

You got me thinkin on the .22-250 AI (which was never far from my mind) again just because of its versatility (especially on its COAL latitude) in a nice short action.

I've grown to like the .223 so much I really don't want to go back to the heavies anymore and I figured another light rifle that could share the 75 Amax wouldn't be too much of a burden... smile

Need to offload my bigger rifles and pick me up a SS 700 and retube it...when you can finally get components again. For now, I guess it's lotsa .308 and .223 (am loving the Scenars in the 7.62, tho).

Thanks for the input.

PS how long can you load those 75 Amax in your Rocktucky? Obviously, you had it throated properly but am wondering what your mag restraints are.

Last edited by MojoHand; 03/16/13. Reason: COAL question

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Get you a remington 700 .243 and learn to drive it!

Last edited by rickmenefee; 03/17/13.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Most my 223AI magboxes are right close to 2.500" COAL allowance,though I went longer on my Linda Lovelace LTR. A 2.450" COAL 75A-Max kiss,is a nice place to be in 223AI throating,as it'll do it all for them inclined.

Any S/A 700 .473" magbox/donor will do the 22-250AI proud...thus the beauty of the short/squat case.

The Rocktucky 223AI High BC COAL Shuffle,in a coupla thousand words.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After a leetle trigger time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cain't like the issued follower,so stabbed a 700 follower in it.

[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/20110716-DAD_7359.jpg[/img]

Did finally puke a follower spring,further along in it's life...but she's seen some spent primers and mebbe even some weather.(grin)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G4218.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G4223.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G4220.jpg[/img]

[bleep] all things CM.

Hint.(grin)

rick',

Had a 280/162's at 2825fps and a 250yd zero,out to 35MOA(1200yds) and 'bout a halfa thick post on the Duplex,set at 6x on a 3.5-10x M3...here a bit ago(however [bleep] far that is). Just slammed a 7-08AI into a McMillan Woodland MR and will air it out in the morning.

I hear good things about OEM 700 243's myself...and plan on tossing a Faux Ti 243AI in the crummy,come morning.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Dear Boxer,

BillyGoatGruff and I have collaborated on a Po' White Trash project.

It involves a Sendero chambered in 7 RUM. Weaver 20 MOA rail with some unknown POS rings and a straight 10X Super Sniper. Had more than two beers and bedded her in a factory BDL stock. We did get fancy and attached a nice trigger and she's plopped 3 162gr. A-Maxes into a 4" circle Saturday. That was at the 8.

Proving once again... Actually it doesn't prove anything. But it's a cool toy even though it has the ergos of a drunken jar of peanut butter.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Dog [bleep].(grin)

[Linked Image]

You trapping?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'flave,

I've seen good boolits,do good things before and just might could enjoy driving Sleepers and schit that "cain't work"...if only for The Vulcan Mindphuck associated the Windowlickers consternation(s).

It's funny how actually shootin',will reliably resolve more than a smidge,thus my longterm affinity with the practice.

Pun be intended.

rosco,

Just a coupla Pooches,whooped after they had a hard day of Play.

Film at 11:00...as it's gonna b a 243AI Day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good info, Stick.

Find it interesting they throw CM in an otherwise SS rifle. Guess I don't need to worry about that with the Plastikka mag! laugh

I, too, opened, my mag to 2.50" and am running 2.470" kissed. Tho the T3 SL Is SS, I live in the high desert so ain't got the moisture content you see (thank god!). I'll post some pics of the sun for you to marvel at...grin.

Ran that 162 Amax in my straight 708 and it was killer. One of those bullets worth building a gun around...

Looking forward to your .243 AI pics/info...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mojo,

I've yet to have a magbox fail,but have puked multiple follower springs. Milled followers trump all,unless a guy is focusing on weight reductions,then stamped potmetal smokes injection.

Reconfigured a 162 Flinger this afternoon,into an ADL Woodland MR,LW's and 6x42...7-08AI a 2825fps,which ain't a bad place to be. It's grants the warm/fuzzy +P.

[Linked Image]

Trapline was dry this morning,but the weather weren't and there was enough wind to appreciate Faux Ti 243AI launched 105's crowding 3200fps. Seen all (4) Seasons in 10 minutes...but that'd hardly be anything "new".

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This evening I handied some schit up. Laughingly lopped off 4.5" of spout,ground the crown square ala ceramic laden SDM-4,deburred the interior and chased same with 400 wet/dry(in dry mode). Slammed LW's aboard,crunched a 12X Leupie in said saddle and rejoiced in the notion of having found 3K+ rounds of ammo I'd forgotten about. Tried for a "rugged" look and am hoping some dumbphucker will bite.

All of which will Mind [bleep] the Windowlickers.(grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/IMG_0575.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/IMG_0567.jpg[/img]

Have zero feel for comeups on this stash,but reckon it won't take longer than until tomorrow,to establish same.

Always was purty handy at finding a reason to shoot.(grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dammit I wish I could find me a few Ks worth of fodder to fling. I have this crazy arse compulsion. I just cannot sleep well with loaded rounds laying around, especially in stuff I like to shoot. I just cannot load enough crap to keep my cravings satisfied. I am going to have to invest in a Dillon. 550B or 650? which should I go with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mojo,

I've yet to have a magbox fail,but have puked multiple follower springs. Milled followers trump all,unless a guy is focusing on weight reductions,then stamped potmetal smokes injection.

Reconfigured a 162 Flinger this afternoon,into an ADL Woodland MR,LW's and 6x42...7-08AI a 2825fps,which ain't a bad place to be. It's grants the warm/fuzzy +P.

[Linked Image]

Trapline was dry this morning,but the weather weren't and there was enough wind to appreciate Faux Ti 243AI launched 105's crowding 3200fps. Seen all (4) Seasons in 10 minutes...but that'd hardly be anything "new".

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This evening I handied some schit up. Laughingly lopped off 4.5" of spout,ground the crown square ala ceramic laden SDM-4,deburred the interior and chased same with 400 wet/dry(in dry mode). Slammed LW's aboard,crunched a 12X Leupie in said saddle and rejoiced in the notion of having found 3K+ rounds of ammo I'd forgotten about. Tried for a "rugged" look and am hoping some dumbphucker will bite.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/IMG_0575.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/IMG_0567.jpg[/img]

Have zero feel for comeups on this stash,but reckon it won't take longer than until tomorrow,to establish same.

Damn, that 7-08 AI is a perfect setup! What length chute? Perfectly outfitted handle and glass, as well.

Gots to be loving the boat paddle and MkII, also!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mojo,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you would'a cut it off at a 45 it would shoot as flat as a 300win..22.5 skews will shoot around corners..A hack saw and a steady hand gives a guy many tactical options grin

Whats that stock with the club-like palm swell?

Last edited by rosco1; 03/19/13.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 1234, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,253
Posts18,504,724
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.