Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have asked 5 FFL's in my area and none will receive a gun from an individual? Why is it a big deal for a seller to ship through an FFL if the buyer is willing to pay the extra charge.I know some of you will but some have specified that the buyers FFL "MUST" receive from an individual.

I don't like that FFL's in my area will not receive from an individual but they all seem to be afraid of the fed and won't discuss the fact that it is legal.A couple have been real smart a$$es when pressed.I won't do any more business with them but what's a guy to do who wants to buy off this site?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an FFL in my area that told me that he would receive for $20 per firearm. GREAT!!!

I received from an individual and his partner charges me $40. I explained what I had been told and he basically said tough $#!), we really do not want to receive from an individual and we charge more if we do. SOOO, no more business with them. I looked up FFL's in my area, found THE BEST FFL in the world and he charges me less, goes out of his way to make sure everything is acceptable and doesn't act like a horses @$$. AND HE HAS NO ISSUE RECEIVING FROM AN INDIVIDUAL, $15 per gun! smile

Keep lookin', you'll find a suitable FFL.

Last edited by 7025Jack; 03/18/13.

"I will remain what I am until the day I die- A HUNTER"......Sitting Bull
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Why? Most ffl holders dont understand the laws.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not at all unusual, they want records and accountability. To many inspections and any record errors real or otherwise risk the FFL. None in my area will accept from an individual, even thought it is legal to do so. FFL to FFL or no thank you. It does suck as it costs more money to us. Life in the fast lane I guess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't understand why they dislike receiving from an individual myself. Back when I worked for a FFL pawn shop we did transfers for $10, didn't matter if it was from an individual or FFL. It's not a hard process at all. Wish I still lived around there.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
FFL's think...receiving from an invidual, might open them up to receiving a stolen firearm. Even if the firearm received was stolen, the FFL is not on the hook for it.....IF...they call the transfer in to the ATF.

Makes no sense whatsoever.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
What I want to know is why would anyone on this site not ship a gun through an FFL if I don't mind paying the extra?

I will keep looking but none so far want to receive from an individual.It makes it hard to say the magic words untill you PM a guy and ask if he will ship through an FFL.If it's a really good deal,you have already lost out to another before finding out.

Some ads say that the seller will not ship through an FFL and that's fine but I don't understand why except that it's a bit more hassel and expense.Sometimes however,I wouldn't mind paying the extra.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Do a gunbroker search for your receiving FFL. Usually the ones listed there are more open to transfers in general and are more likely to accept from an individual.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The reasonable question asked here is why is it a problem for the seller to use an FFL if the buyer covers the cost? Shouldn't 't be a problem. It might cause a minor delay depending on work schedule, etc., but beyond that I don't see an issue,

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Internet sales cut the retail end at a FFL ' s store out. Some don't like that and believe that all sales should come through a business. That coupled with increased fear of the unknown and an unregulated private citizen is why I think they bach.

To me, some FFL dealers don't care to ship for people and it is an increased hassle. I have one that will do it for me, but about 10 that won't. So, due to the hassle and expense, I prefer not to ship through my end as a seller.

Now if its a handgun, it's a lot cheaper to ship USPS than UPS/FEDEX 2nd day or overnight, so I usually do it then.

Use the swift and NEVER look back....!
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 7025Jack
I had an FFL in my area that told me that he would receive for $20 per firearm. GREAT!!!

I received from an individual and his partner charges me $40. I explained what I had been told and he basically said tough $#!), we really do not want to receive from an individual and we charge more if we do. SOOO, no more business with them. I looked up FFL's in my area, found THE BEST FFL in the world and he charges me less, goes out of his way to make sure everything is acceptable and doesn't act like a horses @$$. AND HE HAS NO ISSUE RECEIVING FROM AN INDIVIDUAL, $15 per gun! smile

Keep lookin', you'll find a suitable FFL.

Good advice..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
What I want to know is why would anyone on this site not ship a gun through an FFL if I don't mind paying the extra?

I will keep looking but none so far want to receive from an individual.It makes it hard to say the magic words untill you PM a guy and ask if he will ship through an FFL.If it's a really good deal,you have already lost out to another before finding out.

Some ads say that the seller will not ship through an FFL and that's fine but I don't understand why except that it's a bit more hassel and expense.Sometimes however,I wouldn't mind paying the extra.

If you truly want to pay the extra $35.00 on top of shipping costs be my guest... Just sayin.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At times some sellers neglect to include ID with the firearm. Makes it difficult for the FFL to log in without some type ID. I think for that reason they prefer to receive from another FFL.

Only reason I can think of.

We may need to summon Bricktop..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

So just say the magic words like this " i will take it! pending on the seller shipping through an FFL, for which I will pay additional for, to cover the fees." This will buy you time to make your explanation. Pretty simple.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Professional courtesy, forces individual to pay on both ends. If most dealers had it their way, sales could only be done through licensed dealers. Likely the LIBERAL gene coming out in them. Its all about the dollar. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd guess most folks have the same type of ffl guys as you! Around here the shops won't ship for an individual, the money gained isn't worth the hassle is the usual response I've been given.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Hey Swifty....you do know it's against the law to ship a handgun using USPS....right?

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tophorsecop
Hey Swifty....you do know it's against the law to ship a handgun using USPS....right?
Not for an FFL holder and non-FFL holders are not prosecuted. If the USPS finds out non-FFLs are shipping a handgun, the item is immediately returned. If the item is lost or damaged in shipping, any claim is denied due to shipping a "prohibited item."

An FFL holder who wishes to ship a handgun must file a PS 1508 form.

http://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have asked 5 FFL's in my area and none will receive a gun from an individual? Why is it a big deal for a seller to ship through an FFL if the buyer is willing to pay the extra charge.I know some of you will but some have specified that the buyers FFL "MUST" receive from an individual.

I don't like that FFL's in my area will not receive from an individual but they all seem to be afraid of the fed and won't discuss the fact that it is legal.A couple have been real smart a$$es when pressed.I won't do any more business with them but what's a guy to do who wants to buy off this site?

I ran nto the same problem last year for the first time.
I sold a rifle to a guy who said X,Y, ad Z dealers refused to take the rifle from an non-licensed person. I was a bit leary thinking he was just trying to back out on the deal so I asked if he would mind if I called them.
I did and all three said the same thing.
That the ATF had cracked down in the area and that they WOULD NOT accept a firearm from an non-licensed person.
keep in mind all three were pawn shops and took guns on trade dailey from nonlicensed customers in the store.
I checked gunbrokers ffl search and found that 2 of the 3 were listed there.
When I contacted gunbroker customer support I told them the dealers were making up thier own rules and I felt they should not be allowed to be listed on gunbroker. 6 hours later they were removed from the FFL search engine.
Many dont KNOW the law and many dont CARE.
Use the search on gunbroker and call a few in your zip code. If they are dicks have gunbroker remove them. You will find one that will do the transfer. I assure you.

G
GTN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I recently made a trade here and was using a different FFL than I had before. I call them up ask if they recieved from an individual and they said yes no problem. They sent a copy of the FFL over to the seller and a couple days later I go in to pick up the gun. This is a descent size place now and probably has 3-5 guys working the gun counter at any given time. So this guy ask if he could help me and I told him what I was there for. He goes to the back and comes back with my gun still unopened in the package. He opens it up and say's "there isn't a copy of the FFL in here " and I told him there wasn't one it was shipped from an individual. "We don't do transfers from individuals". Your $#*&% me right. He tells me he has to have a copy of an FFL to transfer from no exceptions. Now I'm pissed but I keep my cool and walk out to the parking lot to make some phone calls. 10 min later I walk back into this place and ask the manager which has been a really good guy in times past about it and he say's oh yeah come on back here and we will get it took care of right away. He ask who told me they wouldn't accept from an individual and made the same guy do the transfer and they both apoligized to me several times.

But to answer your question I don't know why people don't like to ship from an FFL besides cost and if your covering that I don't see a problem.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (21, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 59 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,814
Posts18,477,637
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.