Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by M7300SAUM
To each his own but I have eaten those grass carp in the past visiting friends in Texas and thought they tasted terrible. Fun to catch and that's it for me. Pretty sad to live somewhere where largemouth bass are considered edible. Maybe all that Mexican food in Texas has burned your taste buds off. grin

If you don't like Bass then there is something wrong with you
very true. We stick a bunch of butter in some foil and put it over a grill. Pretty damn good IMO!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I havent read the whole thread, but ... from what I see in the pic, most if not all of the bass are males...

What part of the lake were you fishing? I've spent many a day, on the lake, around Zwolle, Grapevine, Chicken Coop, and Circle Drive. They are all north of the bridge.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
To each his own but I have eaten those grass carp in the past visiting friends in Texas and thought they tasted terrible. Fun to catch and that's it for me. Pretty sad to live somewhere where largemouth bass are considered edible. Maybe all that Mexican food in Texas has burned your taste buds off. grin

If you don't like Bass then there is something wrong with you

Nope, it just means you've had a lot of fish that was a lot better tasting, is all.

That said, my wife is crazy for Largemouth, as are darn near all Chinese here in the US. So I kill a couple for her every winter/spring. Steam them up, hit them with a little ginger oil, green onions and soy sauce, and they aren't half bad. But nothing like Yelloweye, Cabezon, Black Rockfish, Blue rockfish, China Rockfish, Halibut (both Pacific and California) Grey Cod, Albacore, Lingcod, Mahi, etc...

Oh JGRaider, for bass, that's a nice eatin sized catch by the way.

And I'm certainly not a PETAphile:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 03/21/13.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Oldman, you're right, mostly male fish, something the know-it-all's around here are obviously clueless about. We fished between Circle Drive and Logansport in the sloughs and coves, 3-4 ft max depth.

Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Nope, it just means you've had a lot of fish that was a lot better tasting, is all.

But nothing like Yelloweye, Cabezon, Black Rockfish, Blue rockfish, China Rockfish, Halibut (both Pacific and California) Grey Cod, Albacore, Lingcod, Mahi, etc...

I have no clue what those fish are, but I know they don't come from anywhere within 800 miles of here. Most people who don't like the tast of bass haven't the foggiest idea how to cook them. After my coonass buddies get through cooking them you'd be running back for more I assure you. Never heard of steaming one before though.

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/22/13.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Oldman, you're right, mostly male fish, something the know-it-all's around here are obviously clueless about. We fished between Circle Drive and Logansport in the sloughs and coves, 3-4 ft max depth.

Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

But nothing like Yelloweye, Cabezon, Black Rockfish, Blue rockfish, China Rockfish, Halibut (both Pacific and California) Grey Cod, Albacore, Lingcod, Mahi, etc...

I have no clue what those fish are, but I know they don't come from anywhere within 800 miles of here. Most people who don't like the tast of bass haven't the foggiest idea how to cook them. After my coonass buddies get through cooking them you'd be running back for more I assure you. Never heard of steaming one before though.

JGR-- they steam those funny looking fish to kill the taste... its either that or after you eat them, to kill the taste you have to lick you azz... frown

(just kiddin, I dont know what they are either)

'Fishing the brush'- that's what we use to call fishing above Circle Drive. You said you were fishing sloughs and coves, come back in about a month and run a buzz bait around the brush. Cross your eyes and it aint for people with a bad heart!!! wink grin

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by atvalaska
I see, this is not a catch n release thread .....

Not hardly. I don't apologize for it either. We were more than legal, cleaned and ate/will eat every single one of them, brought a bunch back to the desert with me, and will enjoy them over the next 3-4 months. Some of you folks need to lighten up a bit.

Good job! T Bend is larger than a 3 acre pond to for those that might wonder.....

We fish the coast in the spring. Take limits of reds home each time. Fish 2-3 times for the whole year. Doesn't bother me to take full limits back... I wouldn't do it if I fished every other weekend obviously...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
please god go post this on The Texas Fishing Forum. Those boys over there will more than get bent out of shape. grin grin grin

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
please god go post this on The Texas Fishing Forum. Those boys over there will more than get bent out of shape. grin grin grin

Yeah, the Tx. Fisheries Dept (whatever they call it) take a different view of fishing than we do here in La.

In Tx. they claim the people want to catch more quality fish, thus the small limits and bigger minimums (size of legal fish).

In La. they claim the people want to catch more fish, thus the bigger limits and smaller or no minimums.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Cornmeal fried spring (cool water bass with a sprinkle of hot sauce) are as good as white bass or catfish and almost as good as crappie or speckled trout and better than redfish, if the cook knows what he is doing.

Last edited by eyeball; 03/22/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by eyeball
Cornmeal fried spring (cool water bass with a sprinkle of hot sauce) are as good as white bass or catfish and almost as good as crappie or speckled trout and better than redfish, if the cook knows what he is doing.
Well I'm willing to try your way of cooking bass. We have a lake here that is thick with small bass that they encourage fisherman to take. So exactly how do you cook them? Is it a dry cornmeal coating or a wet cornmeal mixture? Is the hot sauce put directly on the fish or is it in a wet cornmeal mixture? Do you pan fry the entire fillet or cut it in smaller pieces and deep fry it? Thanks for the enlightenment.

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Please do yourself a favor and sprinkle the meat with a little lemon and hot sauce, roll the damp filets in cornmeal and fry in canola oil. Salt and pepper to taste.

Also, you can broil or grill the filets (white bass too) with lemon and butter and it will remind you of broiled flounder, which is better than any halibut I've ever eaten.

On small filets I fry them whole and larger ones I section.

Last edited by eyeball; 03/23/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For a change of pace, you can slice the filets into shrimp sized prices and drop in La. Crab/ Shrimp boil. This is, by the way, a great way to give those tender, tasteless walley filets some flavor, without having to fry them in Cisco or lard.

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I never put fish in a live well if I am going to keep them. Straight on ice will prevent them from getting "fishy" or mushy. Might be the reason for your dislike. Also all of my fish are fried in Louisiana fish fry "New Orleans" blend. It's as fine as flour. I personally don't like regular cornmeal. The Louisiana Fish Fry is perfectly seasoned. It's all I use. Zatarans sucks. I mostly fish specks and reds but do love me some bass. They have that little bit of sweetness to them.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.