-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The copy that Elmer signed to me turned-up on E-bay several years ago somehow, and somebody bought it for $250. Don't know how it got there or where it went � who sold it or who bought it. Just one more of life's little tantalizing, infuriating mysteries!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yea, I had a signed copy a fellow borrowed and then moved away.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball
Yea, I had a signed copy a fellow borrowed and then moved away.

Don't recall that I ever lent my copy to anybody.

Had a full collection of first editions that Elmer had signed to me. No idea where any of 'em is now or how it got there.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No kidding that was a good deal.

I have to find a copy to read one day.

Hell, I Was There by Elmer Keith (Nov 1989)
CDN$ 171.06 used (4 offers)

Available from these sellers.

2 new from $898.98

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Interesting. That signature looks different than the one in my copy.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I've read my copy so much the binding is broke, and the dust cover is ragged! LOL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by frogman43
I've read my copy so much the binding is broke, and the dust cover is ragged! LOL

I have a copy too, packed away somewhere, and quite enjoyed it. To show how things change over time, I bought mine off a remainder table for a couple of bucks. To be fair, that happened to a lot of books of somewhat specialized interests.

I also seem to remember Elmer's writing that his left hand got so badly burned as a youngster that it curled up and wouldn't open. He claimed that he got his father or someone to force it open and then tie it to a board or splint so it would stay open until it healed. Not much medical help or painkillers for poor folks in the boondocks back then. Was that in this book?

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by HawkI
Spelling it, he was actually quite good.

Typing was altogether a different matter....

I have some of his early "Letters". He spelled and wrote quite nicely.

Like HawkI...

I, too, did some corresponding with Elmer Keith in the 1960s and found him quite literate... certainly NOT the "crude cowboy" some apparently jealous newer gun-writers attempt to make him out to be.

I found him refreshing honest and forthright, but he was no man's fool and I seriously doubt that the man lied as he has so often been accused of doing concerning his 600 yard killing shots on that deer with a 6-gun so often given by some doubters as an example of an outright lie.

I believe Elmer Keith was a "diamond-in-the-rough", and the man could certainly write a fine, interesting story. He seemed to me to be a very sincere and a relatively humble man in spite of his fame as one of "THE" top gun-scribes of the American 20th. century.

At least, that was my "take" on Elmer Keith. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Great book, I've read mine a few times, always works for me. I had no idea they were rare to find. I loaned mine to a co-worker once, he returned it and asked if I could find one for his son. Didn't have any problems finding it, but that was in the late 90's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anjin,

Yes he wrote about how his hand was brought back into use in the book. Without going downstairs to my outdoors bookshelf I can't remember the exact details. The book I have is in pristine condition, didn't realize it had so much value.

Jim

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ron_T
Originally Posted by HawkI
Spelling it, he was actually quite good.

Typing was altogether a different matter....

I have some of his early "Letters". He spelled and wrote quite nicely.

Like HawkI...

I, too, did some corresponding with Elmer Keith in the 1960s and found him quite literate... certainly NOT the "crude cowboy" some apparently jealous newer gun-writers attempt to make him out to be.

I found him refreshing honest and forthright, but he was no man's fool and I seriously doubt that the man lied as he has so often been accused of doing concerning his 600 yard killing shots on that deer with a 6-gun so often given by some doubters as an example of an outright lie.

I believe Elmer Keith was a "diamond-in-the-rough", and the man could certainly write a fine, interesting story. He seemed to me to be a very sincere and a relatively humble man in spite of his fame as one of "THE" top gun-scribes of the American 20th. century.

At least, that was my "take" on Elmer Keith. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

The question I would have concerning the 600 yard shot would have been just why was he shooting at the deer. Having only heard the story and not read it in it's entirety leaves the unanswered question. Why was he shooting at a deer at 600 yards with a pistol when he had written on more than one occasion that he considered the .270 too light for deer?

I have, in my later years, come to like big, slow bullets myself so can't fault him in that regard but nobody can argue with any degree of conviction that the .270 is too light for a deer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Caliber of gun used in that robbery please.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just so happens night before last I was reading "500-Yard Sixgunning" by Elmer Keith. Some of those long shots were on deer wounded by other people and those deer were headed over the mountain, while other shooters were trying to get into position.
And it was a different time, he tells it like it was. Not alot of one shot kills either, he had no problem telling how many rounds it took.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
MIckey,

He was shooting at a wounded deer running away, about to head over a hill. The deer had been wounded by another hunter.

Looking back at the bullets they had back then versus what is available now, I can see his point regarding the .270, particularly when you realize that they made all kinds of raking shots to put an animal down. This wasn't sport hunting, this was putting up meat to survive on.

He wrote about a lot of bullet failures, stuff that we just don't see these days.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have # 260 of the signed group of 500. Price $300. I consider
it a fair price, and am glad to have it. I also have Big Game Hunting, published by Little,Brown & Co. in 1948, which Mr. Keith
priced in Hell, I was there, I believe at $75. With Sixguns, some
O'Connor, some Ruark, Skelton, and a nice 1895 edition of Van Dyke's The Still Hunter, The gun/hunting part of my personal library keeps me well-entertained.
The angling section is bigger. Buy great books whenever you can.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by frogman43

I have also "desecrated" mine (read: opened it and read it numerous times as well as disposed of the bothersome dust jacket), thereby rendering it worthless in the eyes of collectors. To me, books are things to be read, usually many times, not something to be treated as if they were some priceless work of art from antiquity.

This quote from the Shroud of Turin thread seems to fit here very nicely.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
...These relics were enshrined in the churches and were venerated at ceremonies. Needless to say, in some churches the veneration inevitably turned to actual worship...

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
MIckey,

He was shooting at a wounded deer running away, about to head over a hill. The deer had been wounded by another hunter.

Looking back at the bullets they had back then versus what is available now, I can see his point regarding the .270, particularly when you realize that they made all kinds of raking shots to put an animal down. This wasn't sport hunting, this was putting up meat to survive on.

He wrote about a lot of bullet failures, stuff that we just don't see these days.

Ed

Shooting at a wounded deer makes all the difference. I can't help but wonder at the shooting ability of the "old shooters" if they wounded that many deer.

Truth be told, I suspect the modern shooter wounds just as many.
I lost all respect for Dan Lilja when I read of them setting to shoot elk at 1000+ yards. Too many variables for wounding an animal just to be shooting. Not anti hunting but if you're going to hunt/shoot an animal you owe it to the animal and your honor to kill it as quickly and humanely as possible.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When I heard that "Hell, I Was There" was coming out I wrote Elmer a letter saying I would like a copy autographed if possible. He wrote back saying he didn't have any, they were still in printing but he had had other requests and if I would send $20 he would see that I got one. I sent $20 and he wrote back that he had some stickers he was signing and he would send them to Pedersen Printing and they would put one on and ship it from there.
Doc
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i loaned my copy out over 20 yrs ago, never got it back.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I stopped bidding on a decent but worn, unsigned copy recently around $50 and I'm still kicking myself.

You got a real deal...... I'll just have to keep looking.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,389
Posts18,488,664
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.