-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I owned a Python. It never turned into a Smith so I sold it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ColKlink
Originally Posted by JOG
I said my piece concerning the Korth on this thread. Since the subject came up, I'll add that the Python is the most overrated handgun ever made.

You aren't gonna get much agreement on that statement. Having owned a bunch of Pythons over the years if anything they are under-rated.
+1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave
I owned a Python. It never turned into a Smith so I sold it.

Travis
You just don't know how to shoot a proper double action. grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There's nothing "proper" about that DA design.

Colt's are for autos. Leave the wheelgunning to Smith and Ruger.

Travis

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Travis
Inferior double action shooters are often thrown off their game by that slight stacking at the end of the Colt's double action pull. grin

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They do look gorgeous in a safe...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColKlink
Originally Posted by JOG
I said my piece concerning the Korth on this thread. Since the subject came up, I'll add that the Python is the most overrated handgun ever made.

You aren't gonna get much agreement on that statement.

The horror...

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Travis
Inferior double action shooters are often thrown off their game by that slight stacking at the end of the Colt's double action pull. grin

I agree, the trigger design is flawed as well.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Anybody that's shot a whole lot of revolver will let you know the Colts ain't where it's at.

Travis

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yep, not to mention the lack of a lock on the front end (such as the ejector rod lock up on an S&W).

The stacking drove me mad on the several Pythons I had and shot over the years, and I just couldn't make these revolvers sing the way a good Smith will.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Mine shot great. It just struck me as a weak POS. I tried and tried to love it. It just wasn't what everybody makes them out to be.

But hey, 50 rounds a year in single action? She'd have been a doll...

Travis

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Mine shot great. It just struck me as a weak POS. I tried and tried to love it. It just wasn't what everybody makes them out to be.

Travis
You probably made the common mistake of "staging" the double action pull on the Colt rather than rolling it straight through in one smooth motion. Staging the double action trigger on a Colt puts undue wear on a small part (the hand?) connected to turning the cylinder, thus eventually taking it out of timing. Using proper technique, however, the Colt double action is just as robust as that on the S&Ws.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grant Cunningham is a well-known pistolsmith specializing in Colts. He used to post on the Colt Forum and still may as I haven't been over there in a while.

Is the Colt Python "delicate"?

Thursday, May 18, 2006 Filed in: Revolvers, Personal opinions, Gunsmithing

There is an assertion that comes up with surprising frequency, particularly in the internet age where everyone is an expert: the Colt Python (and all other Colt revolvers) are "delicate", "go out of time easily", or "not as strong/durable as a S&W."

Let's start with the construction: a Colt revolver, for any given frame size, is as strong as any gun with that frame size. Their metallurgy is absolutely the best, and their forged construction is of superior quality. They are superbly made, and their longevity is a testimony to that fact. You are never compromising when you choose a Colt!

How about the charge of "delicate" or "goes out of time easily"? In my work, I see a lot of Colts; I shoot them extensively myself. With proper maintenance, I've seen no tendency for any Colt to go out of time. Yet, the rumors persist!

Why do such opinions exist if there wasn't some basis to them? Is there some amount of truth? I think I can answer that!

Let's start with some facts: Colt revolvers have actions which are very refined. Their operating surfaces are very small, and are precisely adjusted to make the guns work properly. Setting them up properly is not a job for someone who isn't intimately familiar with their workings, and the gunsmith who works on them had better be accustomed to working at narrow tolerances, on small parts, under magnification.

Colt's design and construction is unique; it uses the hand (the "pawl" which rotates the cylinder) and the bolt (the stop at the bottom of the frame opening) to hold the cylinder perfectly still when the gun fires. The action is designed so that the hand - which is the easiest part to replace - will take the majority of the wear, and is expected to be changed when wear exceeds a specific point.

This is considered normal maintenance in a Colt revolver, which is not the case with any other brand. To get their famous "bank vault" cylinder locking and attendant accuracy, you have to accept a certain amount of maintenance; it goes with ownership of such a fine instrument.

I've often made the statement that a Colt is like a Ferrari; to get the gilt-edged performance, you have to accept that they will require more maintenance than a Ford pickup. Unlike gun owners, however, folks who own Italy's finest don't complain that they are more "delicate" than an F-150!

I truly think that the negative reputation that Colts have in some quarters is because their owners - unschooled in the uniqueness of the Colt action - apply the same standards of condition that they would to their more pedestrian S&W guns.

What standards? A Colt, when the trigger is pulled and held back, should have absolutely no cylinder rotation. None, zip, zilch - absolutely no movement at all! Not a little, not a bit, not a smidgen - zero movement. A S&W, on the other hand, normally has a bit of rotational play - which is considered absolutely normal and fine.

There's another measurement to consider: at rest, a Colt cylinder should move front-to-back no more than .003" (that's 3/1,000 of an inch.) This is - in the absolute worst case - about half of the allowable S&W movement!

Now, let's say a S&W owner, used to their looser standards of cylinder lockup, buys a Colt. He goes and shoots it a bit, and the hand (which probably has a bit of wear already, as he bought it used) is approaching the normal replacement interval. He checks his gun, and finds that the cylinder has just the slightest amount of movement when the trigger is back, and half of his S&W's longitudinal travel. Heck, he thinks, it's still a lot tighter than his Smith so it must be fine to keep shooting it.

WRONG! It's at this point that he should stop shooting, and take it to an experienced Colt gunsmith to have the action adjusted. Of course, he doesn't do this - he keeps shooting. The cylinder beats harder against the frame, compresses the ratchet (ejector), causing the hand to wear even faster, and the combination of the two leads to a worn bolt. If left unchecked, the worn bolt can do damage to the rebound lever. When it finally starts spitting lead and misfiring, he takes it in and finds to his astonishment that he's facing a $400 (or more!) repair bill, and perhaps a 6 month wait to find a new ratchet.

Of course, he'll now fire up his computer and declare to anyone who will listen that Colts are "delicate" and "go out of time easily" and are "hard to get parts for." That, folks, appears to be the true origin of these fallacies.

Colts do require more routine maintenance, and a more involved owner; that's a fact. But, as long as the maintenance is performed properly, a Colt will happily digest thousands upon thousands of rounds without complaint. The owners who take care of them will be rewarded with a gun that is a delight to shoot, wonderfully accurate, and visually unmatched. Those who don't will sell them off at a loss and complain on the internet.

I sincerely hope that you will choose to be the first type of Colt owner. If, however, you are the second, please drop me a note - I'm always in the market for Colt revolvers at fire-sale prices!

-=[ Grant ]=-

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/colt_python_delicate.html

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Please, take the time to type it all out in more detail. Fledave could use some pointers from you on pistoleering. grin

MAGA
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Please, take the time to type it all out in more detail. Fledave could use some pointers from you on pistoleering. grin
Yeah, he clears the doughnut crumbs from his sidearm every year for qualies, right? grin

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z

Travis
You probably made the common mistake of "staging" the double action pull on the Colt rather than rolling it straight through in one smooth motion. Staging the double action trigger on a Colt puts undue wear on a small part (the hand?) connected to turning the cylinder, thus eventually taking it out of timing. Using proper technique, however, the Colt double action is just as robust as that on the S&Ws.
All Colt V-spring revolvers are licensed descendants of the Schmidt-Galand revolver design, which uses its distinctive �double-headed hand� as a kind of sacrificial element. As the combustion gases cause the cartridge case to expand, it briefly locks to the walls of the cylinder chamber and transfers most of its recoil momentum to the cylinder, which thereupon in its turn bears upon the hand by way of its interface with the extractor star, which at that moment is tensioned by the trigger being squeezed by the shooter�s finger. Consequently, the hand gets stressed at each moment of firing, and bears the brunt of recoil, all the more so in Magnum calibers. It makes no difference to this stress whether the double action pull gets staged or rolled straight through in one smooth motion. Colt�s factory authorized maintenance procedure allows for one-time stretching of the hand by peening. The second time around, the hand must be replaced with a new factory part. The service interval for this work depends on a variety of factors such as the chambering of the revolver and the use of high velocity ammunition that generates a higher recoil impulse. With a Python firing full-power .357 Magnum ammo, you can count on around 5,000 rounds before the hand gets deformed outr of spec.

--
Michaelmassmeans.com | Zelenypost.harvard.edu | 7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046 | 323.363.1860 | http://www.subrah.com
http://larvatus.livejournal.com | "All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

Last edited by zeleny; 04/01/13.

--
[email protected] | [email protected] | 7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046 | 323.363.1860 | http://subrah.com | http://larvatus.livejournal.com | http://massmeans.com
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Pythons to which I referred I bought new, four of them to be exact, from 1977 to 1992, two four-inch guns, two six inch guns. Shot carefully from rests, they were all accurate (though none better than a couple of pet S&W Model 27s). None of them was around long enough to be worn as described above; I didn't like them when they were in perfect condition (though I really tried, multiple times...probably should have stopped after the first one).

Shooting quickly, however, I also disliked the sights (as well as the stacking as previously mentioned) - the standard sights are too shallow and I just couldn't get the clarity I could on the issue S&W sights (I'll confess that I never had a Python with Eliason sights, and wish I had as those are great).

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
With all due respect for Grant Cunningham, it remains that Colt Magnum revolvers are liable to fractures of forcing cones and breakage of cylinder bolts, both being considerably less robust than the corresponding parts on a S&W, let alone the virtually indestructible components of a Korth.

--
Michaelmassmeans.com | Zelenypost.harvard.edu | 7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046 | 323.363.1860 | http://www.subrah.com
http://larvatus.livejournal.com | "All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

Last edited by zeleny; 04/01/13.

--
[email protected] | [email protected] | 7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046 | 323.363.1860 | http://subrah.com | http://larvatus.livejournal.com | http://massmeans.com
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Laughin'...

Grab the timer and hit the range all star.

Travis

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The King Cobra, MkIII and MK V guns were a lot more durable than the older New Police design.....but then again, we are comparing 1890's designs to post WWII designs.

Anyone fired a 357 at night? Without ear protection?

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, 406_SBC, 14 invisible), 4,158 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,808
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.