Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by HawkI
The King Cobra, MkIII and MK V guns were a lot more durable than the older New Police design.....but then again, we are comparing 1890's designs to post WWII designs.

Anyone fired a 357 at night? Without ear protection?

Better question...

At night? In a silo? At a raccoon? OUCH!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'll bet the EuroGestapo does it with regularity.....and trains for it.

I'll bet they've even found a "police" use for a 10.5 inch Contender in 221 FartBall......but then it'd also be a Blaser and run nine grand.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Z-Man is back!

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
T
tri Offline
T
I always like the mention " the best". No one is the best.And for the quality of steel no American brand can tip on the top european makers: SIG, KORTH, HAMMERLI.
Why I dare to say so: I bought them all and they are not in a safe. You can only judge a weapon after then of thousands of rounds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RipSnort
I was a attending the Tulsa Gun Show several years ago and come upon the Korth table. I looked at the revolvers for a few moments and then asked the rep if I could handle one. He said, "No." Somewhat taken aback, I asked if it was just me who couldn't handle the revolvers or he was not letting anyone HANDle the HANDguns. "We don't let anyone here handle our revolvers.", was his reply or something to that effect. Warming to the absurdity of the situation, I said, "So let me get this straight. You have flown to the States from Europe. You have rented a booth at the biggest gun show in the world in an attempt, I assume, to sell handguns but you're not letting any prospective buyers hold the handguns in their hand, right?". Realizing, I think, how utterly, completely ridiculous he looked, he still answered, "Yes." I began laughing loudly at the total nonsense of this unforgetable minute of my life. The rep never cracked his serious expression. It was as if I were living a Monty Python skit. Absolutely priceless.

I could have easily bought every Korth revolver he had on his table with what I had in my pocket but vowed to myself that I would never own one under any circumstances. That company is run by some seriously silly people.

RS
Yet you can go to the SHOT show, walk over to Purdey�s booth and pick up all the $100k-plus guns you want.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by zeleny
All Colt V-spring revolvers are licensed descendants of the Schmidt-Galand revolver design, which uses its distinctive �double-headed hand� as a kind of sacrificial element.
While it is true that the pawl on the Colt�s revolvers is considered a wear part, it should be noted that it take a lot of shots, even with magnum ammunition to wear one out if the part has been properly installed.

As the combustion gases cause the cartridge case to expand, it briefly locks to the walls of the cylinder chamber and transfers most of its recoil momentum to the cylinder, which thereupon in its turn bears upon the hand by way of its interface with the extractor star, which at that moment is tensioned by the trigger being squeezed by the shooter�s finger. Consequently, the hand gets stressed at each moment of firing, and bears the brunt of recoil, all the more so in Magnum calibers.
The Colt�s pawl floats so as the cylinder moves back the pawl moves with it. Since the cylinder has no rifling in it, there is no significant torque either way, therefore a properly fit pawl will go a very long time before you have any issues.

With a Python firing full-power .357 Magnum ammo, you can count on around 5,000 rounds before the hand gets deformed outr of spec.
Not my observation, but you may have different experiences than I.

All this technical talk is very interesting if you�re interested in such engineering minutia. The fact remains, the Colt�s revolver is anything but a �fragile� revolver. In fact, in US military testing before the turn of the century, the reason Colt�s won out over all other revolvers is because when exposed to the elements, the Colt�s was the one that kept running while all others (including the S&W) were hopelessly locked up.

In the end, one would hope that a $5,000.00 revolver would be better than something costing 60-80% less. For the difference in price, that can cover a good two to three lifetimes of having new hands fit. As for the rest of the gun, it will hold its own with the rest of the crowd.

Accuracy wise, I�ve yet to encounter a Korth that out-shoots a Python, but admittedly I�ve only shot two examples. And also admittedly, I was shooting one brand of ammo, and the rest were handloads. Still, the Colt�s consistently out-shot the Korth in my hands, and the hands of several other bullseye competitors. Still, the difference was so minute that no one would ever say that Python was truly more accurate or less accurate; just not enough of a difference.

The one thing I did like about the Korth was the feel, it felt more like a S&W to me, so therefore it tended to feel better in my hands than the Colts. And again, the engineering that allows all the adjustments on the fly is simply brilliant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
The Z-Man is back!
Personally, I'm glad to have him back. I�ve debated the Hi Power vs. the Sig 210 with him on another forum. All that engineering magnificence really matters to him, and there�s nothing wrong with that. Where I have problems is with the use of the word �best� or �better�. To me, that�s a highly subjective term and it all depends on what you�re trying to do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
The Z-Man is back!
Personally, I'm glad to have him back. I�ve debated the Hi Power vs. the Sig 210 with him on another forum. All that engineering magnificence really matters to him, and there�s nothing wrong with that. Where I have problems is with the use of the word �best� or �better�. To me, that�s a highly subjective term and it all depends on what you�re trying to do.

It isn't his information...er...rather opinion...it is his presentation and arrogance that leaves such distain...

He brings hostility upon himself�

The land of the free because of the brave.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He does have a bit of an elitist tone, I�ll give you that; but he is rather well informed and I find very little to disagree with. I think where most will disagree, myself included, is the final conclusion and the general �worth� or �value proposition� that is the Korth Revolver. He finds it absolutely worth it, while the majority doesn�t.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
�Based on my experience, the quality ratio of Colt to Smith & Wesson is proportional to that of Smith & Wesson to Harrington & Richardson. The Colts are much better made and more precisely fitted, of finer and stronger materials, than Smith & Wessons. I base this statement on the personally observed differences in working internal parts with a diamond file, and wear and peening in contact surfaces with comparable round counts.

Interesting observation, but I find the comparison of Colt�s and S&W about the same as the difference between S&W and H&R to be quite the exaggeration. I�ve been gunsmithing both for over 25 years, and have drawn my own conclusions. Let me clarify that, I have worked on and repaired both for that time, mostly S&W, but some Colts. However, I have only recently (past 5 years) done any serious work on the Colt�s, and I like them. Yes I will agree that the Colt�s has a finer degree of fit and finish, and on some models the metallurgy is superior; but I don�t find the difference in quality to be anywhere near the chasm you describe.

The S&W action is much easier to work on than the Colt action.

You know, I hear this a lot, but I don�t find either one �easier� or harder; they�re just different. Perhaps people find the Colt�s more difficult to work on because of the general unfamiliarity with the design that prevails these days.

The only part liable to break on it is the floating firing pin.

Yes, I�ve always found it humorous the assertion that the frame mounted firing pins are less apt to break; I personally have found it quite the other way around. I�ve changed a good 6 frame mounted firing pins to every one hammer mounted pin. Far from being, as Colt�s once declared �unbreakable�.

�The Manurhin MR73 is the best fighting revolver ever made, designed as a significantly improved S&W, crucially strengthened at the yoke, ingeniously refined at tensioning the hammer and the rebound slide, and manufactured to the quality standards of 1950s Colts. I have tried the current S&W revolvers. There is no comparison. In a nutshell, an early Python is a better revolver than a Registered Magnum, in the same sense whereby a Ferrari 330 P3/4 is a better car than a Ford GT40. But the MR73 is the only revolver I would take in harm�s way, in the way I would choose the Citro�n ZX over the Ferrari and the Ford for entry in the Paris-Dakar rally.

I�m not sure what the rebound slide has to do with combat fitness or reliability, but I�ll readily admit I�ve never had the sideplate off on a Manurhin revolver. When I think of fighting revolvers, I look to the best source of information; military service. The DA revolvers with the best track record in military service would probably be the Webleys, with the 1917 Colt�s & S&W� running a very close second. The Manurhin has never been in wide spread use, so the long term effects of service abuse are just an unknown. Never be taken in by good looking workmanship, or a sound design on paper. Most arms that hit military service tended to have both; yet most arms that hit military service require extensive development. The Webley, Colt�s, and S&W have all had the extensive development that goes with wide spread military and law enforcement service. If I had to take a revolver onto a battlefield, my personal choice would be the Webley Mk VI.

American shooters tend to be impressed by popularity.
Heartily agreed�there is a huge sense of �fashion� with American shooters.

Smith & Wesson is the most successful revolver maker in history, and the biggest handgun maker in the world.
Taurus is the largest handgun manufacturer in the world; but point taken.

The problem with S&W is not design, but quality. Their basic action layout is capable of uncompromising performance, as witness this Manurhin chambered in .32 S&W Long, beating match guns by S&W, SAKO, and Walther. But in order to get a current production S&W to perform like that, you would have to rebarrel it and replace its MIM lockwork with increasingly unobtainable forged parts. And even then, it will not approach the quality of Manurhin�s hammer-forged frame, barrel, and cylinder.

It all depends on what you�re trying to accomplish. To make the finest target revolver is NOT what S&W is seeking; there�s very little market share for such a thing. Revolvers were supplanted in the target shooting market almost a couple of generations ago, so why compete in an irrelevant market? As to your comment about MIM parts, just like most everyone else, I think you�re being taken in by �internet experts� in your disparaging of MIM; it�s VERY sound technology. Properly made forged parts can be better provided the specifications are held with the same degree of precision. But to do so is exorbitantly costly, and prices such revolvers out of most markets. So the S&W product is a compromise, but a pretty good one considering S&W puts out orders of magnitude greater product that is suited for their intended market. Korth�s quality and engineering is truly magnificent, but a bit irrelevant here in the US, because very few are interested in such a product. US shooters who are seeking such levels of accuracy will always turn to an auto-pistol, and those auto�s will always win the matches against the revolvers.

As for forged parts�technically they can be �better� but are they truly needed? If your sole goal in the world is to shoot a revolver to extremes, then perhaps they are needed. But for the rest of the world, pure forged parts just aren�t necessary. Few have greater demands than military arms, yet the preponderance of the parts found in military arms are investment cast, or these days increasingly MIM. Trust me, nothing takes a beating or abuse like a machinegun.

MR73 was designed and built for an administrative market that formally required extreme precision and durability orders of magnitude greater than that expected from and built into contemporaneous U.S. police sidearms. The aesthetic sensibility of most American shooters derives from an appreciation of fancy sporting goods and service sidearms meant by their makers to be surplused after firing several thousand rounds.

Most US made revolvers were made to the best possible quality given what the market would bear. Anything beyond that just doesn�t make good business sense�notice that Manurhin and Korth have an almost un-measurable market share. And it�s not just the US who puts a lifespan on service arms, literally every nation does that. Arms that have longer lifespans will typically cost more, and those with lesser lifespans cost less. Those that cost exceptionally more or exceptionally less tend to not be too successful in the marketplace in most any industry. Since Manurhin & Korth have very small niche markets, I�d say the US makers clearly chose the right path.

throughout its history Smith & Wesson and Colt never had an economic incentive to forge their gun parts out of tool steel.

Nor has anyone else�emphasis on economic incentive. But had the �market� truly demanded such a thing, you can bet S&W would have made it.

The Korth is by far the best made modern revolver, comparable in quality only to the best of the pre-WWI classics, from the French M1873, the Mauser M1878, and the Swiss M1878 and 1882. It is equal in mechanical precision to a Target Triple Lock, and far superior to it and the Registered Magnum alike in ruggedness and durability. Among post-WWII revolvers, only the first generation Colt Pythons compare to it in fit and finish. It is arguably the best sporting revolver ever made

Again, here comes that �best� word again. Best for what? It�s certainly not best for someone who could never afford it. It would never be �best� for any sort of police or military service, again the price is prohibitive; the reality is, very few military or law enforcement units have the funding to provide a $5,000.00 sidearm to their officers. They are MUCH better served providing them something like a $500.00 sidearm, and spend the rest on training. �Best� as a target revolver�again, I strongly doubt it. The difference between the Korth and one of the better S&W and Colt�s is never enough to take the Korth into a whole new class. The accuracy difference is so small that it will still come down to the shooter every time. Yet the Korth has vastly fewer options for sights, grips, etc. But then again, target revolvers in actual bullseye competition are basically irrelevant. The only one�s using them anymore are those who just love to shoot revolvers. The serious competitors have switched to auto pistols.

Arguably the costliest sidearm ever drafted into constabulary service outside of the petrodollar economy, the Manurhin MR73 was designed and built for an administrative market that formally required extreme precision and durability orders of magnitude greater than that expected from and built into contemporaneous U.S. police sidearms.

Which was a fool�s errand. Anyone would have been able to tell you that a semi-auto of considerably less cost would be far more reliable in extreme environments, and more than accurate enough for precise shooting required in a hostage rescue situation. Notice, the GIGN were some of the only people who used revolvers�and if I recall correctly they even chose the S&W model 36 as a sidearm for a time. (possibly what lead them to the Manurhin)

Every double action Colt revolver I ever tested, including brand new and freshly factory tuned specimens, failed to carry up in hand-cocking the hammer while braking the cylinder.

So then perhaps you should stop and think about what that means? Perhaps they were never intended to, despite the musings of Mr. Cunningham. If you understand the design, you�d know that while it would be proper for a gunsmith to fit a pawl so that it passed such a test (because if you�re going to do a non-assembly line job, you ought to do the best you can), passing such a test really means just about nothing to the Colt�s revolver. With all your mechanical knowledge, you should be able to intuitively surmise that.

If you want a range toy, the Korth is your finest choice.
I think you finally got down to what it all adds up to. Still, a good man with a S&W or Colt�s still has pretty much an equal chance for a win at the local bullseye match.

Finally, I find the creation of the Korth to be really funny. They create the �finest� target revolver in a magnum caliber; kind of an oxy-moron if you ask me. Plus they create the finest target revolver in an era where the target revolver is basically irrelevant The end result is like a Rolex watch; bragging rights in an age where a watch isn�t even needed anymore since everyone carries a cell phone. Yet the Rolex wearer and the Korth shooter can go on for days as to how excellent their chosen tool really is.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You have a lot of patience, Kevin.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If this were a real campfire, Kevin and Zeleny would be the only two sitting around it.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColKlink
You have a lot of patience, Kevin.
No, I'm forced to sit on a 4 hour conference call that has nothing to do with me...I'm bored.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't give a nickel for a Korth let alone the thousands they ask for one. I would much rather have a Colt Python or a Smith Model 27 or 28 or even a 19 for that matter.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
$250 out the door,...shoots all six cylinders to point of aim with fixed sights,....particularly fond of a hardcast 160 grain LBT WFN over 6 grains of Unique in .38 spl cases.

Made in 1975.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
$375,

.41,..made in 1920

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful sixguns, Bristoe. I especially love the Colt. If you are ever interested in selling please let me know.

Last edited by ColKlink; 04/02/13.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by HawkI
The King Cobra, MkIII and MK V guns were a lot more durable than the older New Police design.....but then again, we are comparing 1890's designs to post WWII designs.

Anyone fired a 357 at night? Without ear protection?

Better question...

At night? In a silo? At a raccoon? OUCH!

Travis

Keep your sexual exploits to yo' self, Dr Suess.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
$375,

.41,..made in 1920

[Linked Image]

Now that..........is a revolver!

And I'd rather trust my S&W Victory Model or my 2.5" Model 66 over a Korth if my life depended on it......just as I'd trust a Timex over a Rolex if I want to know what time it really is.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Keep your sexual exploits to yo' self, Dr Suess.

Surprise!!!

Travis

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (29aholic, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 348srfun, 46 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,975
Posts18,519,831
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.