Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by deflave
You seem to be a big fan of that revolver. So why the .22lr over the .38 Special when the package is the same size?

Because I shoot a hell of a lot more 4 legged vermin than I do two legged.

Travis
Well that just makes far too much sense; try again wink

Small frame revolvers are really tough to shoot. A .22 makes a lot of sense for training purposes. If you�re carrying yours all the time, and using it for 4 legged critters, that means you�re using it and probably practicing with it a lot; smart. I often carry a S&W 431 in .32 H&R mag which is an airweight; nice little revolver. I managed to pick up one of the .22 airweights which I thought would be an understudy�unfortunately mine was horribly inaccurate and didn�t shoot to point of aim; I was bummed. So I ended up selling it for a loss to a gunsmith friend of mine who had some plans for it�I don�t think he ever did anything with it.

I�ve treated a lot of people shot with .22�s, it�s a piss poor defense round. But I will admit, I�ve never treated anyone who has been shot more than twice with a .22, so multiple .22 caliber holes might just work. When I think of .22�s for defense, I always think of Mordechai Rachamim who took on 3 very serious terrorists armed with AK�s and grenades; and won. After that incident, he continued to use his Beretta Model 70 on all future operations, to good effect. All comes down to a cool head and effective shot placement. Since you�re a DA revolver man from way back, I�m betting you could get the job done.

Even though you don�t seem to like me much, I�d love to do some DA revolver shooting with you. My absolute favorite handgun is my 10 shot 617 in .22lr�about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

This is strong side barricade the first day I shot it. 25yds.

[Linked Image]

Now I know that's not earth shattering. But I don't think I'll meet a lot of people that want to shoot their LCP's or Kel-Tecs against that LCR with a timer, when ranges get past the 7. Not saying NOBODY would, but certainly not many.

Also, you have to understand once you leave the town I live in, you're in most people's definition of the "middle of nowhere". And there's not a snowball's chance in hell I'd go through the trouble of switching guns between town and not town.

But then again, I'm perfectly comfortable walking around the largest cities with no firearm. So I'm certainly not uncomfortable with an 8 shot 22LR. But that's just me.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I cannot hit a 6" plate with a danged LCP past about 3 yards! LOL

I DO NOT carry an LCP.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by alukban

I DO NOT carry an LCP.

Yeah. If "only hits count" I'd be [bleep] with one of those things... grin

Actually, I just shot a Bodyguard last week and it wasn't bad.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
You seem to be a big fan of that revolver. So why the .22lr over the .38 Special when the package is the same size?

Because I shoot a hell of a lot more 4 legged vermin than I do two legged.

Travis
Well that just makes far too much sense; try again wink

Small frame revolvers are really tough to shoot. A .22 makes a lot of sense for training purposes. If you�re carrying yours all the time, and using it for 4 legged critters, that means you�re using it and probably practicing with it a lot; smart. I often carry a S&W 431 in .32 H&R mag which is an airweight; nice little revolver. I managed to pick up one of the .22 airweights which I thought would be an understudy�unfortunately mine was horribly inaccurate and didn�t shoot to point of aim; I was bummed. So I ended up selling it for a loss to a gunsmith friend of mine who had some plans for it�I don�t think he ever did anything with it.

I�ve treated a lot of people shot with .22�s, it�s a piss poor defense round. But I will admit, I�ve never treated anyone who has been shot more than twice with a .22, so multiple .22 caliber holes might just work. When I think of .22�s for defense, I always think of Mordechai Rachamim who took on 3 very serious terrorists armed with AK�s and grenades; and won. After that incident, he continued to use his Beretta Model 70 on all future operations, to good effect. All comes down to a cool head and effective shot placement. Since you�re a DA revolver man from way back, I�m betting you could get the job done.

Even though you don�t seem to like me much, I�d love to do some DA revolver shooting with you. My absolute favorite handgun is my 10 shot 617 in .22lr�about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

[Linked Image]

Now I know that's not earth shattering. But I don't think I'll meet a lot of people that want to shoot their LCP's or Kel-Tecs against that LCR with a timer, when ranges get past the 7. Not saying NOBODY would, but certainly not many.

Also, you have to understand once you leave the town I live in, you're in most people's definition of the "middle of nowhere". And there's not a snowball's chance in hell I'd go through the trouble of switching guns between town and not town.

But then again, I'm perfectly comfortable walking around the largest cities with no firearm. So I'm certainly not uncomfortable with an 8 shot 22LR. But that's just me.

Travis
Yup. That sums it up for me and my Seecamp, too.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any mouse gun isn't effective, and you're stupid for bothering to carry it, if you don't have 84 extra mags in you.

Just FYI.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Any mouse gun isn't effective, and you're stupid for bothering to carry it, if you don't have 84 extra mags in you.

Just FYI.

If you're referencing my penis, it's not appreciated.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just FYI.

Youch.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Travis

Travis, at 25 yards that ain�t bad at all sir. That would be downright discouraging to anyone on the receiving end.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by alukban

I DO NOT carry an LCP.

All micro guns are tough to shoot well,..and I don't claim to be able to shoot anything resembling tight groups with an LCP,...but it's easy to keep on a paper plate at 10 yards.

It's made to snatch out of your pocket to encounter someone at arms length that's getting ready to bash your brains in with a T-ball bat.

But my LCP will hit where you point it.

The trick is, being able to hold it there,..but that's true with any of the tiny pocket pistols.

It has a good amount of inherent accuracy, and that's all you can ask of a package the size of an LCP.

The rest of it is up to the shooter.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
On these type of handguns, the Crimson Trace laser is a force multiplier.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WoodsStalker
On these type of handguns, the Crimson Trace laser is a force multiplier.
It's a great idea because it helps compensate for the itty-bitty sighting radius. But often the problem (as Bristoe is pointing out) is maintaining good trigger control when there is so little to hold on to; and a laser doesn�t fix that. Still, a small pistol with the laser is better than one without.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen lasers exacerbate that problem. With a laser you see every little tremor or movement as you grip and squeeze, and there's a lot of tremor going on.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen lasers exacerbate that problem. With a laser you see every little tremor or movement as you grip and squeeze, and there's a lot of tremor going on.

But if you train with lasers you also see that mostly go away. First time you switch a laser on, that laser bouncing all around is mighty revealing, and more than a little humbling.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMO a true mouse gun it needs to shoot a true mouse cartridge. 9mm's (including the short) or larger just don't fit the definition.

As for which is best........ Hope I never need to find out.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've recently aquired two Kel-Tecs, a P3AT (.380) and a PF-9 (9 mm). So, depending on where the cutoff is for "mousegun"...

The .380 literally drops in a pocket and is easily forgotten. For me at least, it represents the most power in the smallest practical platform that I could use effectively, out to not very far, mostly because of the poor sights.

The PF-9, is just enough bigger to make pocket carry kind of a stretch wink but based on my 200 round break-in session, has an awesome trigger, great sights, is light weight, compact, and I can hit surprisingly effectively with it. It also kicks rather viciously and wore a hole on the inside of my bottom thumb joint during that session- but I guess if I'm needing to expend that much ammo during a gunfight... I've got bigger things to worry about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that laser sights may cause a slight (perhaps lethal?) hesitation on the part of the shooter while he looks for the dot on his target before pulling the trigger.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 26 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,858
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.