Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
That's good fuel for why the miltary needs to go back to the 1911.

I LOVE the 1911 but I think that would be a mistake. The 1911 is obviously adequate for the job, and God knows they last a LOOONG time, but there are better choices. For what a good 1911 costs, you can buy a couple of S&W M&P�s, and basically have a pistol much better suited to military service. The Tupperware guns are strong, durable, reliable, and uber-easy to maintain both at the individual and depot level. While the Tupperware guns will typically take a higher round count than a 1911, the issue of breakage of the frames remains the one real weakness. But fortunately frames are cheap and easily replaced.

So right now the most likely suspects for US military service in my book appear to be the Glock, M&P, and XD. Ruger could get in the game if they really wanted it, and if Taurus ever decided to get really serious about government sales, they could be a real force to be reckoned with.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

A second M9 failed me when the locking block began detaching from the barrel, locking up the weapon.

The locking block is a wear part, and should be periodically replaced. Just like wear parts on AR's this never happens in the military. They just wait until it breaks. If the locking block is easily removed, it is way past time to replace it. Some say they need to be fitted to keep the gun from battering itself.

The locking block housing that is welded to the barrel (or milled in place?) was tearing away from the barrel at the forward end.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm not any kind of handgun expert at all and I'm wondering if the same problem exists on the 96! I have one I got in the mid 90's! It's a great gun but now I wonder if it's safe to use! Makes me think my 686 should now be my go to gun!

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
OUCH!!!!! Fookin' berettas.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MtnGreyBeard
I'm not any kind of handgun expert at all and I'm wondering if the same problem exists on the 96! I have one I got in the mid 90's! It's a great gun but now I wonder if it's safe to use! Makes me think my 686 should now be my go to gun!

I am no expert, but I don't think the .40 has near the pressures of a 9mm

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Boococky

I am no expert, but I don't think the .40 has near the pressures of a 9mm

Thanks! All I could find was a few unexplained FTF's while doing a Bing search!

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
9mm NATO spec is loaded to 36,500PSI
9mm Luger/Para SAAMI spec is loaded to 34,100PSI

.40 S&W SAAMI spec is loaded to a max of 35,000PSI

Bear in mind this pistol in JorgeI posts is said to have seen +30,000 rounds as well.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
9mm NATO spec is loaded to 36,500PSI
9mm Luger/Para SAAMI spec is loaded to 34,100PSI

.40 S&W SAAMI spec is loaded to a max of 35,000PSI

Bear in mind this pistol in JorgeI posts is said to have seen +30,000 rounds as well.

Thank you!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

A second M9 failed me when the locking block began detaching from the barrel, locking up the weapon.

The locking block is a wear part, and should be periodically replaced. Just like wear parts on AR's this never happens in the military. They just wait until it breaks. If the locking block is easily removed, it is way past time to replace it. Some say they need to be fitted to keep the gun from battering itself.

The locking block housing that is welded to the barrel (or milled in place?) was tearing away from the barrel at the forward end.

I've not heard of this one. Was this just a bad run of barrels or is it a more random occurrence?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
TAK, I don't know. I've never seen or heard of it before or since. It was my issue M9 pistol, during requal week, Camp Lejeune, 2002.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've not heard of this one. Was this just a bad run of barrels or is it a more random occurrence?
Yeah, that's a new one on me. In any metal item, there are times where you just get a bad piece of metal. I'd have to say that was due to a flaw in the steel that no one ever knew about and short of x-ray, you'd never detect.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Out of curiosity, can a frame break like that without visible cracks forming before it seperates?

The frame didn't fail.

That's the classic M9 slide failure, at the locking lug cutouts.

D'oh! (Head slap).

I know better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bummer.

Bad deal.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
He has a deep cut on this face, right above his lip and under his nose (slightly right),in the exact pattern of the back of the slide. He's going to be OK.

Thank God!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

Yeah, that's a new one on me. In any metal item, there are times where you just get a bad piece of metal. I'd have to say that was due to a flaw in the steel that no one ever knew about and short of x-ray, you'd never detect.

X-ray will not detect all flaws

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
So civilian M-9's don't have the slide retention device?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
�You�re not a S.E.A.L. �till you have eaten Italian steel�� Anonymous

- From the early 1990s, IIRC

Beretta problems...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
From a metallurgist buddy when we were both employed at PA during the time frame in question.

"Tellurium in the slide alloy was innocous at 10 ppm. But at 100 ppm it caused the catastrophic failures noted."

Tighter control of the alloy = problem solved.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
M
M

Hate to say but the 96s are worse in my experience. Never saw many failures in my service overseas (but then handguns in mil service are not fired much other than training) but I served a stint with the US Border Patrol (Havre, MT in fact) and we had more than a few failures with the 96, one right in front of my eyes. Our armourer was firing next to me at our indoor range and his 96 broke a disconnector, he threw that thing down the range..

Retired 0-4
CJSOTF-S Khandahar AFG
TF KBAR
Rh Rgmt 1978-79
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by KBAR-04

Hate to say but the 96s are worse in my experience. Never saw many failures in my service overseas (but then handguns in mil service are not fired much other than training) but I served a stint with the US Border Patrol (Havre, MT in fact) and we had more than a few failures with the 96, one right in front of my eyes. Our armourer was firing next to me at our indoor range and his 96 broke a disconnector, he threw that thing down the range..

Thanks very much for your experience! I haven't heard anyone complain about it yet (but maybe I wasn't listening)! Makes me love my 686 plus even more!

AND thanks so very much for your service to us and our country!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.