Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
According to reports in the news over here, following the arrest of the Boston bomber, he was not mirandized, and they went on state this often happened when your Police felt there was an immenent danger to the public..

I read that, and never really thought any more of it..I then notice in todays papers a statement attributed to the FBI saying not only was he not mirandized at the point of his arrest, he won't be mirandized in the future either..

Are the Feds getting ready to label him an "enemy combatant" and whisk him off to Gitmo as soon as the hospital clear him for travel?

Last edited by Pete E; 04/22/13.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they don't mirandize him, then "enemy combatant" is the only label that I can see them getting away with.

Anything else would eventually require that.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I don't believe this often happens. I believe it seldom, if ever, has happened before. There is a public safety provision in the Miranda requirements but it sounds like there is a time limit and that limit will be reached today or tomorrow. The only thing failure to Mirandize will do is prevent the bombers statements from being used against him, and there is enough evidence without a confession to convict, has been the rational I have been hearing. Makes sense. If they give Miranda within the time constraints of the exception, I believe any statements after that point will be admisable, but one of the real lawyers would have to comment on that.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Pete:

It is not an indication of him being deemed an enemy combatant. In our civil justice system, Miranda warnings don't confer rights, they merely give notice of rights guaranteed under the US Constitution. (Under the assumption that there are millions of Americans who have never seen an episode of "Law & Order.")

Miranda warnings are not necessary at the time of arrest or confinement. They can be read later. Especially if the terrorist in question decides he wants to plea bargain in return for cooperation. If the prosecutors agree, they'll sit him down, start the recorders and read him Miranda. He will verbally agree to waive the rights therein, and then they'll ask him questions. The responses could be used against the terrorist later, if he fails for some reason to keep up his part of the bargain.

If there is no plea deal, but only a trial, the prosecution might not be able to use certain statements that he has made in response to questions intended to invite an incriminating response. If he volunteers incriminating statements to LEOs that are not in response to questioning, those may be admissible against him at trial.

Miranda issues do not apply in regard to any statements he may have made to the guy he car-jacked, because the victim was not a LEO or acting as an agent of the police.

- Tom

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Something else about Miranda:

The primary purpose of reading Miranda rights is to place restraints upon the behavior of police officers. For example, a suspect says he doesn't want to talk; the police have to stop asking him questions.

A secondary purpose of reading Miranda rights is to punish the police (and the prosecution) for example, if the police continue to question a suspect after he says he doesn't want to talk.

The nature of that punishment can be to deprive the prosecution of the use of answers to questions asked after the suspect says he doesn't want to talk.

(Damnit; I knew if I tried to simplify it, I'd leave a bunch of stuff out. above, I'm talking about the right to remain silent part of Miranda. There are other issues, too.)

- Tom

Last edited by tjm10025; 04/22/13.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't see what difference it will make. He can be convicted without ever saying a thing.

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for that Tom, just trying to anticipate who this might develop..

Regards,

Peter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
after ten years in America watching cop shows, I'm sure the guy can recite the Miranda warning from memory.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Some perps can correct an officer who gets part of it wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can see a real psychological element as well. Don�t Mirandize him, tell him he�s an enemy combatant and going to GTMO unless he spills his guts.

To actually put him in GTMO and not put him on trial would present a serious constitutional issue. I believe I read that he is a US Citizen. I don�t care if he�s a Muslim terrorists or Satan himself; there are basic rights afforded to ALL US Citizens. Even if he is linked to a foreign terror organization, I see what he did here on US soil as crime, and he�s just a criminal. Give him a trial, and send his arse to super-max; he can sit right next to Dr. Ted Kaczynski so the two can talk about bomb theory for the rest of their miserable lives.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

The guy was naturalized and there may be a way to strip him of his citizenship. I frankly don't know.

But if Eric Holder wants a civilian federal trial, I think he'll probably get his way.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
How do you read an unconscious/incoherent perp who is almost bled out his Miranda rights? eek

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
How do you read an unconscious/incoherent perp who is almost bled out his Miranda rights? eek
Ignorance is no excuse wink

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don't know, but I have read more than one search warrant to a door.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Fact is he is a citizen. He should be treated as such, I don't care what he did.

Why don't we look towards the FBI. They were aware of these two AT LEAST two years ago. Then they claim on national television THEY NEED HELP IDENTIFYING these two???????

Really? The FBI had no idea who these were, even though they questioned the older brother two years ago after going back to Russia.

What a joke. The FBI is covering something up. Let us not forget that the FBI knew about the 9/11 hijackers and did nothing, they knew about the WTC bombers and did nothing........strange trend huh?? Every time something is actually going to happen, they stand by and watch it. Interesting.

And to all you morons that want this guy "treated like an enemy combatant" or tortured, seriously? You're going to bitch and moan about protecting Constitutional rights such as the 2nd Amend. but you want this guy's Constitutional rights to be throw away. Do you not see the IRONY???

Last edited by JWP58; 04/22/13.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They were either guilty of something 2 years ago or weren't. You can't lock folks up cuzz you think they might do something, else we'd all be in jail, except for TRH who will never do anything.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JWP58
Fact is he is a citizen. He should be treated as such, I don't care what he did.

Why don't we look towards the FBI. They were aware of these two AT LEAST two years ago. Then they claim on national television THEY NEED HELP IDENTIFYING these two???????

Really? The FBI had no idea who these were, even though they questioned the older brother two years ago after going back to Russia.

What a joke. The FBI is covering something up. Let us not forget that the FBI knew about the 9/11 hijackers and did nothing, they knew about the WTC bombers and did nothing........strange trend huh?? Every time something is actually going to happen, they stand by and watch it. Interesting.

And to all you morons that want this guy "treated like an enemy combatant" or tortured, seriously? You're going to bitch and moan about protecting Constitutional rights such as the 2nd Amend. but you want this guy's Constitutional rights to be throw away. Do you not see the IRONY???

So you assume these are the only Muslim guys who have anit-American slants, and have traveled to foreign lands in the Boston area? Boston is a VERY ethnically and religiously diverse city. The FBI isn't omnipotent. (Thank God)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tjm10025

The guy was naturalized and there may be a way to strip him of his citizenship. I frankly don't know.

But if Eric Holder wants a civilian federal trial, I think he'll probably get his way.

Yes, it is Holder's call. I would bet 1 or 2 years from now he will go on trial.
NOT saying I like it. IF it was my call, they would due process his azz out to the ball park and hang him.
Maybe right after a Red Sox game.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I can see a real psychological element as well. Don�t Mirandize him, tell him he�s an enemy combatant and going to GTMO unless he spills his guts.

To actually put him in GTMO and not put him on trial would present a serious constitutional issue. I believe I read that he is a US Citizen. I don�t care if he�s a Muslim terrorists or Satan himself; there are basic rights afforded to ALL US Citizens. Even if he is linked to a foreign terror organization, I see what he did here on US soil as crime, and he�s just a criminal. Give him a trial, and send his arse to super-max; he can sit right next to Dr. Ted Kaczynski so the two can talk about bomb theory for the rest of their miserable lives.

Nonsense. Calling this guy a "criminal" is typical liberal pablum. A "criminal" usually commit a crime for personal gain and lucre. This guy meets and exceeds all the criteria of a TERRORIST and he more than qualifies under the enemy combatant clause. Keep him isolated and interrogate him until every possible intelligence nuggets can be carved out of him. Who cares about a conviction at this moment in time when the national interest could be at stake. Super Max, why do they perform executions there or are you against capital punishment too. Send his ass to Guantanamo.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (1234, 1badf350, 30incher, 3040Krag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,025
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.