Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What convictions and executions have been carried out in military trials and esp. of GITMO detainees?

If you want to see him executed, federal criminal court is the way to go.

Besides if you stick him in GITMO, not only will next to nothing happen in just short of forever, they will have to be a Supreme Court decision to prove a military trial is even permissible.

The track record seems to run with the Federal criminal courts.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by highridge1
Oh goody we can feed him, take care of all his medical needs and entertain him by asking questions !!!! Like he will tell the truth and be helpful...... Holy [bleep] Batman.. Just think the Bastards built these got dam bombs with their welfare checks.....
Clearly you don't understand interrogation...they will get everything out of him. He's worth more to us alive (for now) than dead...that may change later.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants.
-Albert Camus

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Just because he wasn't read a Miranda warning it does not mean that he is going to be classified as an enemy combatant.

You have to wonder why the Feds are not reading him his Miranda Rights now? The Feds maybe many things but they are not stupid.

If they don't intend shipping him off to GITMO, or at least threatening to, for what other reason might the Feds have chosen this stance??

Does it mean that any statement he makes to the Feds will not be in the public domain? Does it mean the Feds can "encourage" him to talk freely on the basis he won't incriminate himself any further?

Time will tell I guess..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This has NOTHING to do with playing. As to "criminal" well i guess we can call Pearl Harbor a "criminal case" too if it makes you feel better. As to the terrorist link it is there plain as day. This was an act of WAR. And the sooner you look at the world with rose colored glasses let us do our job (well not anymore I'm retired), the less people will bleed. Had we done profiling and labeled these guys as threats from the start, maybe the lives of close to twoo hundred people would have been different. Same goes for 9/11. As to the death penalty, your initial post was clear "send them to a Supermax". You Christian Nutcase analogy is frankly laughable.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Just because he wasn't read a Miranda warning it does not mean that he is going to be classified as an enemy combatant.

You have to wonder why the Feds are not reading him his Miranda Rights now? The Feds maybe many things but they are not stupid.

If they don't intend shipping him off to GITMO, or at least threatening to, for what other reason might the Feds have chosen this stance??

Does it mean that any statement he makes to the Feds will not be in the public domain? Does it mean the Feds can "encourage" him to talk freely on the basis he won't incriminate himself any further?

Time will tell I guess..
Or could it be that they have such an airtight case, it really doesn't matter what he says and does from here on out.

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fish head

In the end he'll get his just reward. He'll either rot in prison for the rest of life or be executed. Either way is fine with me.

I bet a good defense lawyer would dispute that..Unless the Feds have some very incriminating forensic evidence that link him directly to the bombs or other equally strong evidence showing he was an active participant, I don't think his conviction for murder is a done deal.

I can imagine his defense team saying that he was the naive younger brother who was duped into taking part by his evil older sibling..They would assert that he knew nothing of the contents of the bags until after they detonated and then went on the run from the police with his brother fearing he would be executed or end up in GITMO.

The defense will show him as a model US citizen who loved America, his adopted home and who had little to do with his brother until recently..Or perhaps he will say he was under duress from his fanatical older brother and only took part to save his own skin..

A good defense team will make the guy look like a saint who panicked after found himself in a world of [bleep]..This is why it puzzles me why the Feds have not read him his rights and in doing so have closed down one potential avenue for his conviction..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
This has NOTHING to do with playing. As to "criminal" well i guess we can call Pearl Harbor a "criminal case" too if it makes you feel better.
THIS if frankly laughable; that was the Japanese who are a sovereign nation. None of the pilots or perpetrators were US citizens.

As to the terrorist link it is there plain as day.
It is? What did I miss, did they definitively link them to foreign terror organizations over the weekend? Sure I tend to believe they were tied to outside organizations, but that�s pure SPECULATION on my part.

This was an act of WAR. And the sooner you look at the world with rose colored glasses let us do our job (well not anymore I'm retired), the less people will bleed. Had we done profiling and labeled these guys as threats from the start, maybe the lives of close to twoo hundred people would have been different. Same goes for 9/11. As to the death penalty, your initial post was clear "send them to a Supermax". You Christian Nutcase analogy is frankly laughable. [/quote]

For the comprehension impaired�

Originally Posted by KevinGibson
My bet is, this will string on for an awfully long time, but in the end he�ll fry�couldn�t happen to a nicer guy.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This has NOTHING to do with playing. As to "criminal" well i guess we can call Pearl Harbor a "criminal case" too if it makes you feel better.

This is pretty laughable too. Pearl Harbor - a result of a foreign military attacking the US vs. a naturalized citizen deciding to blow up his neighbors. Yep, real similar.

jorge, why not admit that you don't have a leg to stand on with this one.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Kevin your problem is that you don't take the MSM and Fed .Gov at their word when they tell you something.

Smile and nod sir; smile and nod. They have the utmost credibility; I suggest you stop this nonsense.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can imagine his defense team saying that he was the naive younger brother who was duped into taking part by his evil older sibling..They would assert that he knew nothing of the contents of the bags until after they detonated and then went on the run from the police with his brother fearing he would be executed or end up in GITMO.
The standard is �Reasonable doubt�; I have a hard time seeing that as passing the �reasonable doubt� test with pretty much anyone. His goose is cooked even if he never says a word. I guarantee you the FBI has mounds of other evidence. Hell, if they only have what has been seen in the press, this guy�s in a world of hurt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
Kevin your problem is that you don't take the MSM and Fed .Gov at their word when they tell you something.

Smile and nod sir; smile and nod. They have the utmost credibility; I suggest you stop this nonsense.
Well I don't really go for all the conspiracy stuff, so maybe I do (for the most part) take them at their word. It's too early to definitively say what's in stone, but it will all shake down in the end. This whole thing has been very public and over a short period of time. If you think there is some puppet-master just sitting back making it all up as it goes along; I got nothing for ya.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say that the video and photographic evidence, eye witness testimony, their statements to the guy they hijacked the car from, the shoot outs, forensic evidence and whatever else is found will be enough to convict him.

Pete, my friend, what your talking about deals more with motive and not the act itself. I think it will be undeniably proven that he committed the act.

Never say never and there could be a bleeding heart liberal on the jury that falls for the "He was a good boy" but I seriously doubt that would happen. The worst case is it would result in a hung jury and a retrial.

He's not going to get away it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I can see a real psychological element as well. Don�t Mirandize him, tell him he�s an enemy combatant and going to GTMO unless he spills his guts.

To actually put him in GTMO and not put him on trial would present a serious constitutional issue. I believe I read that he is a US Citizen. I don�t care if he�s a Muslim terrorists or Satan himself; there are basic rights afforded to ALL US Citizens. Even if he is linked to a foreign terror organization, I see what he did here on US soil as crime, and he�s just a criminal. Give him a trial, and send his arse to super-max; he can sit right next to Dr. Ted Kaczynski so the two can talk about bomb theory for the rest of their miserable lives.

Nonsense. Calling this guy a "criminal" is typical liberal pablum. A "criminal" usually commit a crime for personal gain and lucre. This guy meets and exceeds all the criteria of a TERRORIST and he more than qualifies under the enemy combatant clause. Keep him isolated and interrogate him until every possible intelligence nuggets can be carved out of him. Who cares about a conviction at this moment in time when the national interest could be at stake. Super Max, why do they perform executions there or are you against capital punishment too. Send his ass to Guantanamo.
I think it would be incredibly dangerous precedent to start declaring US citizens enemy combatants and shipping them off to Gitmo. Who knows what the next person declared an enemy combatant will be. Some prepper who is hoarding guns and ammo and makes some crazy rant on youtube? Slippery slope... We've dealt with bombers in this country long before this incident, we didn't whisk Eric Robert Rudolph to Gitmo did we? He was a terrorist, a christian terrorist instead of a muslim terrorist.

NRA Benefactor Member
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fish head

Never say never and there could be a bleeding heart liberal on the jury that falls for the "He was a good boy" but I seriously doubt that would happen. The worst case is it would result in a hung jury and a retrial.

He's not going to get away it.

I hope you are right and I hope he gets fried. What I fear is that he will somehow end up with a relatively light sentence after being portrayed as his older brothers pawn..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by garyh9900
I think it would be incredibly dangerous precedent to start declaring US citizens enemy combatants and shipping them off to Gitmo. Who knows what the next person declared an enemy combatant will be. Some prepper who is hoarding guns and ammo and makes some crazy rant on youtube? Slippery slope...

More likely one of the loud and proud hoarders here on 24hr. smile smile

We've dealt with bombers in this country long before this incident, we didn't whisk Eric Robert Rudolph to Gitmo did we? He was a terrorist, a christian terrorist instead of a muslim terrorist.

And McVeigh of course. Another muslim bombing - except it wasn't of course. Though he did have military training as I recall. In the end, Federal criminal court fixed him up quite nicely.

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The BBC are now reporting the suspect has been charged with "using a weapon of mass destruction" a charge which they say carries the death penalty??

I hope the Feds have all their evidence sorted for this, as would hate to see him get off or get a reduced sentence on a technicality..

Last edited by Pete E; 04/22/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope you are right and I hope he gets fried. What I fear is that he will somehow end up with a relatively light sentence after being portrayed as his older brothers pawn..

I really can�t recall any terrorist getting a light sentence since 9/11. Way back when domestic terrorism came from a bunch of Marxist/Lenninist left wing groups, that happened in some instances. But post 9/11, we�ve somewhat lost our sense of humor for terrorists.

Still, whether he goes to Super-Max, or GTMO, there will be more. It�s very hard to stop terrorism because planting bombs is just not an especially difficult thing to do.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
But post 9/11, we�ve somewhat lost our sense of humor for terrorists.

There is that. For sure.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw

Well I don't really go for all the conspiracy stuff, so maybe I do (for the most part) take them at their word. It's too early to definitively say what's in stone, but it will all shake down in the end. This whole thing has been very public and over a short period of time. If you think there is some puppet-master just sitting back making it all up as it goes along; I got nothing for ya.

Interesting the way that people play this; I said nothing about "puppet master". I am simply deeply cynical of the government and the Liberal media.

My fascination is the speed with which people will go along with a gov they typically doubt, and an MSM they typically hate. Just seems intellectually lazy in my opinion, particularly when we are talking about taking basic rights away from a citizen of this country.

Imagine how easy it'd be for the gov & media to take advantage of this tendency (without even communicating or conspiring) in people who normally view them with a healthy degree of cynicism! There doesn't have to be a conspiracy between parties within these two institutions (which are ideologically united against the Constitution) for things like this to taking on a life of their own. Water formed the grand canyon; how many of these little moves away from principled protection of the rights of citizens shall it take before we've effectively blown our own heads off in the name of national security?

Yeah yeah, aluminum foil blah blah blah. Anybody who thinks we aren't already more than half way there by nature of our willingness to take their word when it fits our preconceived notions of how these things go down has their head in the sand.

Those who recognized these guys as a threat but let them become citizens and ultimately perpetrate this crime don't have to intend for the event they allow to whittle away at civil rights. Intentions don't matter jack. Point is, enough of these "unfortunate incidences" added together will in fact = a worthless Constitution which sits in some museum as a show peice and matters little more than that.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

343 members (22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 22magnut, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 1,347 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,849
Posts18,517,549
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.