Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The only time I would choose a 6.8 AR over a 5.56 is if my state made .22 cal illegal for hunting. And if that was the case, I'd use an AK in 7.62x39, not a 6.8 AR.

You're going to spend more money, have more recoil and less capacity, and have way less commonality for 6.8.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
In the end both are excellent, get what you want and go kill some animals.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ethan, I think that you would benefit from the Magpul ACS stock. This gives a much better cheek weld to reduce recoil. I have it on my Stag carbine and I don't notice the recoil being any worse than a 5.56. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by the_gman
Ethan, looking at the photo of your 6.8, I'd probably agree that the light weight of your 6.8 carbine isn't helping with your perception of recoil between the two calibers.

If you have a mil spec buffer tube on that carbine, I have a spare MagPul CTR stock in the shop I'd part with. It doesn't have the rubber butt pad on it but it is a darn sight nicer than the GI style stock to shoot with. I'd also equip it with the LaRue riser to get a good cheek weld with that high scope mount.
Thanks gman. The recoil isn't problematic for me the way the gun is currently set up. It is just surprising that it seems more than the 308...which is actually the one I was contemplating changing to a Magpul collapsible.

I like all the AR types I currently have whether 10's or 15's. The only change I'll make is probably getting one more 223/556 so everybody in the family has one of that caliber. But I ain't gonna do it until I can get one for pre-Sandy Hook prices. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MikeJinVT
Ethan, I think that you would benefit from the Magpul ACS stock. This gives a much better cheek weld to reduce recoil. I have it on my Stag carbine and I don't notice the recoil being any worse than a 5.56. Just my 2 cents.

Mike
Really? That much difference? 6.8 and 5.56 recoil being identical would be pretty sweet. Y'all convinced me to check out the Magpul site on those stocks. Previously I've concentrated on the 308 stocks as a replacement for that standard stock shown on my AR-10 type in the pic.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by pdcrig
EthanEdwards,
Have you considered using a heavier buffer and a "red" Springco spring in your 6.8? That might help a little on the recoil since you've got a carbine length gas system. Just a thought. That's the setup I have in my mid-length rifle and it works great.
Thanks for the suggestions. The recoil is not bothersome to me, I just found it strange that it seems more than on my 308, but the AR-10 I've got is pretty heavy. I've been wanting to put a Magpul collapsible on it but with all the recent problems they are scarce, and I don't want to order one and then get put on Backorder. Anyways, that might make my AR-10 kick harder than the M-4.

I find the 6.8 to recoil little more than the 5.56, kn fact if I can spot my hits at 100 yards with the 6.8. The recoil is minimal IME and Opinion

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Much as I'd like to have an AR-10 in .308 or progeny, this Ruger keeps me thinjking:

[Linked Image]

.308 win in 18: of 16.5" barrel, threaded to accept a muffler, iron sights and bolt action for reliability, cheaper than an AR or M1A...

Would work fine for bringing meat to the table which is a more likely requirement should SHTF.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/22/13.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I shot my deer this past year with my box stock RRA mid-length A4 and watched it mule kick through the scope. Can't say that has ever happened with a .308 bolt gun.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Much as I'd like to have an AR-10 in .308 or progeny, this Ruger keeps me thinjking:

[Linked Image]

.308 win in 18: of 16.5" barrel, threaded to accept a muffler, iron sights and bolt action for reliability, cheaper than an AR or M1A...

Would work fine for bringing meat to the table which is a more likely requirement should SHTF.

Agreed. It gets me thinking too. I just handled one a couple of weeks ago and I like it. How cool would that be in .358 Winchester? Now your talking!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

[Linked Image]

guy at my local Rod and gun club has one. It shoots nice, but is it ever LOUD. When ever he shows up I call it the 308 LoudnBoomer. crazy

While it is nice, it doesn't generate the smiles and grins my LAR-8 in 308 does. EVERYONE who has ever shot my RRA 308 has left the bench with a [bleep]-assed grin, from ear to ear. grin

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a Stag 7 in 6.8 and I can definitely see the reaction of the deer when the boolit hits. I shot 2 bucks in the span of about 2 minutes this year and saw the boolit hit just behind the shoulder on the first and watched as it tries to make a jump with one leg raised and shot it again high shoulder before it got to the second jump. Then turned and watched another buck that wanted the hot doe the first was after and watched the boolit hit right through the heart quartering away and watched it kick when hit. All this happened at less than 50 yards so how much recoil could there be? My recoil calculator says 7 ft lbs. A 243 has about 10. 223 a little over 3. Then again, I really like A2 stocks that have a nice pad. 20 inch barrel on the Stag probably helps, too. I been using the SSA tactical 110 Accubonds and they just smoke a deer. I get 2750 fps with the SSa fodder and can get 2780 with enough RL 10 and Sierra prohunter 110's. Did shoot one deer at 300 yards and boolit did a real good job.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had one of those 18 inch blue steel model 7's for a while, everyone on the club new when I killed a deer. I kept it for 2 seasons, very handy but tough on your ears. A 5.56 in 16 inch barrel with A2 flash hider is loud but a short barreled 308 is in a league of its own.

the short barreled springfield M1's with all the accessories socom or some such nonsense that weight 12 pounds and are like a flash-bang grenade when the fire tickle me, mall ninja specials.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MikeJinVT

Mike

That's the stock I have on my 6.8 build and it really does give you a better cheek weld. I don't care for the battery tubes on a hunting gun but they do give you more to rest your face on.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,319
Posts18,505,785
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.