Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Gearing up for the revolution and I need optics. Any suggestions are appreciated. Price is an issue.

Thanks,

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How much of an issue? Give us a ballpark.

For a revolution I'd say fixed irons and mags.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
+1 on the Irons and mags.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aimpoint PRO.

Trijicon ACOG.

George

Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Under $1000.00

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
There are so darn many ACOG models, I can't figure out which one I ought to get (assuming I can hide the purchase from my wife).

Jordan

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
aimpoint T1 with a LaRue mount.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7687290#Post7687290

I have an Aimpoint ML3 with Aimpoint mount I'd let go for $525 delivered.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by David_Walter; 04/25/13.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leupold CQ/T..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For $1K I'd REALLY consider a Leupold VX6 Firedot, or a 1.5-5, or Trijicon 1-4.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
ACOG if I just had to have optics for combat types....

For me its a better deal to have irons and a scope on a good mount for the longer stuff. ACOG can suffice but I'd just as soon have a better higher power precision optics in case I have to shoot say over 500 yards.

Anything under irons do just fine, unless its only heads for targets.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm really liking the VX6 1-6 with firedot reticle.
QD mount, I like LaRue's LT104 and Troy flip up irons.

On 1x the firedot acts like an Aimpoint but you can crank it up to 6x to cover a little distance. Kind of a general purpose setup.

Another gun I have has Troy flip up irons, a LaRue mounted QD Aimpoint H1 and I have a spare 3.5-10 scope in a LaRue QD mount. Flip levers and use what you need, all are sighted in and return to zero.

Lots of ways to skin that cat.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Combat optic? Definitely would take a micro dot over a short dot scope, unless it's an 18"-20" gun.

Aimpoint T1 in a Larue mount with the lens cover that mounts around the body; forget the brand name.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

I replaced the aimpoint I have for sale with the Trijicon 1-4

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Let me clarify that I still think the money is better spent on irons and ammo, but if you buy glass this is a good way to go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[, quote=dubya]Leupold CQ/T.. [/quote]

Let me add to this...

The CQ/T for an AR and intermediate range, I have one for my 243 AR10 I'm building, a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-5 for my 6.8 AR, an Accupoint 5-20 for my 5.56 yote sniper, and a new Leupold Prismatic Tactical for my AK (really nice 1x optic!). I'm a big fan of Leupold & Trijicon, you really can't beat a Leupold for value on the dollar and Trijicon is a Trijicon. I even run a Trijicon RMR RX-07 on my Saiga 12 and love it.
There are a lot of choices other than them two brands in your price range that are great though I've tried Vortex and wasn't too impressed (SPARC), and Bushnell which some models are a good value, I really like the TRS-25 for a cheap red dot.
Just take your time and check out as many as you can locally and find which one works for YOU. Then read reviews and make a choice. My $.02

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Why would anyone choose that Prismatic over a T1/H1?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've got the Burris 1-4 MTAC. I like it so far. Has illuminated reticle which is fairly bright on highest setting, but reticle is still visible in daylight when not turned on. Performs function of both a red dot and a scope. Not too much $. Another I would consider would be the SWFA 1-6 HD.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
you said combat optic, so I guess you mean self defense. Most of which will be at shorter ranges. Self defense is usually not a shot at 100 meters plus, and then I want a 2-12 or such.

The ACOGs are fine for medium range I guess, but why would some models feature the tiny red dot on top of them if they were good at close range?

How many of us with black rifles really take some time to understand the ballistics of the standard 55 grain load? I see guys in a gun range that I frequent zeroing their guns 2 inches high at 25 yards, somehow confused I guess, but I don't say anything anymore, maybe one day natural selection will sort it all out. There are just so many people that rushed out to buy a gun and don't have the time or inclination to understand it. They don't seem to know how their iron sights work let alone an expensive optic and then they don't shoot much at all I guess.

In a moment of abject stupidity I purchased a 1-4 NF scope and I don't recommend it, its tough but I am used to hunting scopes. I had wanted a "do all" device and it's just not that useful to me, its a heavy jack of all trades, and master of none. The new VX-6 on the other hand gets good reviews everywhere, and from what I hear they did the IR correctly. I would get this if I wanted a scope of that power.

The Eotech in principle is the better optic but it is killed by its short battery life and then you read about more problems with it. I had one for a day, took it back...wait, hold on... just a second, don't start shooting yet, let me turn my sight on....

If I was buying an optic for a defense rifle it would be an aimpoint, it covers use in the dark with a light, use out to 200 meters plus, its on all the time, its used by the military.

Somehow we are all conditioned to believe that bigger, better, more complicated, and especially multi use is the thing to buy and then all the bells and whistles give us something to talk about and post pictures of, on these forums!!!

While it won't give you bragging rights, the KISS principle will keep you from assuming room temperature on a premature basis.

1 round thru the chest using an iron sighted rifle seems to be able to sort things out.

The husband quickly secured an AR15, which was inside the apartment, and leveled it at the suspect, telling him to leave.

When the suspect started menacingly approaching the husband and ignored several commands to stop, he fired one shot into the chest of the intruder.

The residents immediately called 911 and are cooperating with police.

The suspect was pronounced dead at an area hospital.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever you chose for optics, don�t overlook the basics � iron sights. The irons will serve well long after batteries have died, electronics have quit and glass has broken.

Several weeks ago I was at the range for the first time with my new RRA 5.56. While I have an illuminated reticle scope that I can switch between that rifle and my .300 Blackout, the scope remained home and I was using just the irons � a UTC flip-up and peep combo. After zeroing at 100 yards I headed out to the longer ranges where I put a small (6� high) triangular piece of concrete on the 500 yard berm, painted it fluorescent orange with ground marking paint and, to make it more visible, painted a circle around it, making the painted area about 10� in diameter. Then it was back to the benches.

The first shot was disappointing � I couldn�t see where it landed, let alone whether or not it was even in the same county. Another gent then offered to spot for me. Another sighter shot gave me a clue as to how to adjust for elevation and wind. Out of the next 5 shots, and very much to my surprise, I managed 2 hits on the concrete.

While I�m not suggesting irons are the best combat sights, they have long been and continue to be very useful, reliable and capable. I won�t have a defensive weapon that doesn�t have them.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 17Hunter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 18,120 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,961
Posts18,539,643
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.