Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I wasn't aware that eastern diamondback bites were lethal, but it;s an interesting story.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/post/hunter-saves-own-life-after-rattlesnake-bite/

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just read the article before I saw it posted it here. In 1973 a friend was bitten just like that, close to the same place, turned smut black, swelled three times it's normal size and was eventually amputated.

Was not a pleasant sight.

Another friend was bitten on the thumb by a small one in 71, was allergic to the anti venom and stayed in the hospital for two weeks.

Rattlers aren't a thing to mess with if you don't have to.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of those in my rafting first aid kit. Haven't and hope to never to use it.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
easterns are nasty ones to get bit by, alot of neurotoxin in the venom......however that snake bite kit likely did lil and he actually received a minor bite that didnt inject much venom....think about it, put one of those on your arm after getting a shot at the docs office and its not gonna pull much of anything out....all a rattlesnake fang is, is a hypodermic needle....at most you will get a couple drops out and thats not gonna affect the outcome one bit.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody remember when they used to say to shock a snakebite with a car battery or a stun gun? I've never been bit but always wondered if that really works. They claimed the electricity breaks up the proteins in the venom.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
there is anecdotal evidence that it does work.....i have a hard time understanding why it would work unless the proteins that make up snake venom are unstable as hell and far more easily degraded than the proteins that make up human tissue....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rattler
there is anecdotal evidence that it does work.....i have a hard time understanding why it would work unless the proteins that make up snake venom are unstable as hell and far more easily degraded than the proteins that make up human tissue....

That's a great point.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my whole thinking could be off but im very interested in snakes, especially venomous ones and have read a fair number of scientific studies.....havent seen a good explanation of why it would work, but if i were to get bit someplace where getting to antivenin in time is in question and a stun gun is handy, light my arse up....

Last edited by rattler; 05/01/13.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me too. I hunt quite a bit in south Georgia where Eastern diamondbacks are as thick as mosquitoes and I keep a stun gun in my pack just in case but have never had to test the theory out.

-Jefferson Davis
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rattler

a few years ago I got bit by a Hobo Spider and I tried it, using the coil off my old car and it seemed to work, but I too don't understand how it worked for the very reason you stated

οΏ½The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!οΏ½ οΏ½ Thomas Jefferson
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It should be easy enough to determine if the proteins in snake venom are denatured that easily. I think that if this was the case, we would hear it a lot more often. I just hope I never get bit by one of the suckers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We don't have hobo spiders here but I understand they are nasty. We do have brown recluse spiders, my dad had a coworker who lost half his hand to a brown recluse that was in his glove when he put it on. We also have tons of black widows but the brown recluse concern me much more than the widows.

-Jefferson Davis
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Far as I'm concerned any rattler I run in to is treated like he can kill my ass and is treated like he plans to. There is a saying out west - if it don't get you then one of its kids will.

The fear of rattlers caused many a cowboy to pray each night they rolled out their bedroll while out on the range. They scoured the area around camp at dusk to reduce the chance of a bedroll encounter at dawn and spent,any hours of life trying to determine a method of securing a safe place to sleep. This led to lots of money having been spent on horse hair ropes to lay around the bedding.

Evidently, there were many more rattlers in many areas of the west a hundred years ago than now.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ColKlink
We don't have hobo spiders here but I understand they are nasty. We do have brown recluse spiders, my dad had a coworker who lost half his hand to a brown recluse that was in his glove when he put it on. We also have tons of black widows but the brown recluse concern me much more than the widows.

Except if a black widow bites, you may pray to die due to the agony.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball

the Hobo's are very similar to brown, and I have been bitten 4 or 5 times in the last few years. They form nasty sores that take weeks to heal, I have killed 4 in my house so far this spring. The bad part about them is they are aggressive due to poor eye sight. Black widows will prey on hobo's but then you have black widows

οΏ½The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!οΏ½ οΏ½ Thomas Jefferson
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
article of interest..... confirmed by our country vet down the road.

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Arti...isher-recommended.htm?EdNo=001&From=

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

black widow venom is interesting stuff, causes every skeletal muscle in your body to form a "Charley horse", highly unlikely to kill most people but for 24-48 hours your gonna wish you were gonna die soon....

recluse venom is just plain nasty chit.....ild rather take a hit from a good size rattler than a recluse....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I know their bites are painful but at least they are shy and stay in their webs. I kill a bunch of them every year, one of my kids favorite activities is when we go "Black Widow Hunting" and turn up stones, the fire wood in the woodpile, etc in the yard and kill them. The brown recluse wander and get in the house and you never know where you'll run into them. I hate and fear the brown recluse spiders, we have to shake our shoes, gloves, and jackets because of them. Nasty little buggers.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Groups like the AMA, etc. now recommend you don't use those snake bite kits. Instead, get thee to a doctor pronto. Their reasoning is that people have done more damage to themselves using the kits than the venom will do. Here's an article from the Wall Street Journal about it. SNAKE BITE KIT

Of course there are exceptions to every rule. 1000 people can be saved by seat belts but the one you hear about is the guy who is saved because he didn't wear one. The same likely applies to snake bit kits.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1badf350, 338reddog, 117LBS, 18 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,802
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.